Manipulating guests.

Janine18
Level 2
Sandton, South Africa

Manipulating guests.

Really don't know why I'm posting this, other than out of sheer frustration knowing that I'm going to get my first bad review and maybe someone can suggest as to whether I handled this appropriately.  A couple arrived from Zimbabwe for a 5 day stay.  Within 10 minutes of being in the garden apartment, they phoned to say that they are leaving as the place is dirty.  'Whaaat'! I nearly had a cadenza, as I clean the apartment myself, and pride myself in it's neatness and cleanliness.  So I went around and apologised asking them where the problems are.  So, they pointed out a fine little cobweb above the front door, complained that my lovely kelim is dirty  ( when in actual fact it has faded in areas) and said the windows are dirty.  I have the windows  cleaned every two weeks - but being winter and dusty in SA there is a film of dust that forms within minutes.  Realised very quickly that it was a ploy for a reduced rate and they proceeded to knock down the fee  by 30%.  I didn't want to lose the guests and therefore didn't haggle and agreed, also said that I would go in the next day to clean the apartment if they were unhappy.  Went in (after seeing them leave with another person who had obviously stayed over).  The place was in a mess. Nevertheless, I washed and packed away their dirty dishes in the kitchen, and in the bathroom found all 8 towels sopping wet and lying on the bathroom floor. Three of them had huge brown stains  that I can only deduce was from cleaning shoes.  So took them out, rewashed all of them and packed them back.  There is a laundry available for guests to use.  The apartment is advertised as self-catering and serviced weekly. To top it all, the cable TV started playing up, got technicians in to fix problem, nevertheless the wife was so rude to me that I was a little rude back to her.  Subsequently she's not speaking to me. In reality, her husband told me that they usually stay in hotels, and this is where I think the problem lies.  She's a bit miffed about staying in a self-catering apartment where she has to do some cooking and cleaning and probably wanted an out.  So, think I've been ripped off a bit and not sure if handled everything correctly?

6 Replies 6
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Janine18, I think you were being very nice. I would have let them leave there and then. I wouldn't worry about a bad review whatsoever, you have 14 excellent reviews and the place looks brilliant at a good price (to me anyway, I don't know the competition). The most important thing is that if they do leave a bad review, don't respond much. I feel the response says much more about a host than the actual review. Some hosts do go on! You could either not respond at all (it will slide down the list as good reviews come on top) or just say something like ''I am sorry you had a different expectation to what I offer, maybe a hotel will be better for you next time.'' In the review of the guests I would hint at high maintenance, bargain hunting types. Hosts read between the lines, no need to be overly scathing. I am sorry you are having this experience, sounds absolutely dreadful. Bet you would rather do some Pilates than their dishes, right?

Thanks for the advise Sandra, appreciated  - and yes, you are right, as irked as I an, will be polite and discerning.  Ta, Janine

Michele107
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Janine18

You sounded as if you couldnt have been more helpful and accomodating. it certainly sounds as if the wife really didn't want to be there. Your place looks really lovely and your reviews do you credit. Dont take it personally...which is probably easier said than done!

I agree with @Sandra126 that a subtle review would be helpful. Be honest but calm. Other hosts ( if the guests ever use Airbnb again) need to know what to expect. I would certainly decline them to stay at my place.

Thanks Michele, really great that you responded.  Sometimes one is a little lost in these occurences.  Thanks for advise and support.   which I respect.  Thanks again.  Janine

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think the big mistake was in accepting the 30% reduction - really you should have said no and asked them to contact AirBnB to find alternative accommodation for that night onwards and that you would refund them for their stay. 

I would leave a review that is brief and concise, that reflects what happened and that says these guests are more suited to a hotel enviornment than a self-catering/family home set up.  I think that would give most host the info they need to avoid these guests.

You're right, I should have done that, but I was so taken aback and suprised by the whole incident, that I obviously never thought logically, only  of appeasing them. But, I suppose one learns from one's mistakes.  But thank you for your input - appreciated.