Misrepresentation of listing

Manoradhan0
Level 1
Boston, MA

Misrepresentation of listing

Hi!

I booked a ‘luxury’ apartment which has a dishwasher visible in the pictures. It doesn’t list it as an amenity though. The dishwasher apparently is not functional. The listing description does not state anything about the dishwasher’s state. Is this a case of misrepresentation of listing?

Thanks

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Manoradhan0  If it doesn't list it as an amenity, then no, I don't think you can call it misrepresentation. They shouldn't have it in a photo, as that is confusing, but it's hard to take a kitchen photo and show everything without that being in the photo. It's possible that it just stopped functioning recently and they haven't been able to get it fixed or perhaps they need to buy a new one and don't have the funds for that right now. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Manoradhan0

If it doesn't list it as an amenity, then no.

We have built in oven in the kitchen but we don't have time to scrub it between guests so we unplugged it . Oven is still there and on the picture but is out of order. It is not listed as an amenity and in the picture caption is written "oven is not available"

The caption is a nice touch but I have to agree here,  if it's not listed in the amenities section it's a hard argument and not entirely fair to the host.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Manoradhan0 

Of course it's not misrepresentation if the dishwasher is not listed as an amenity. 

Any particular reason you're going to such lengths to find "misrepresentation" on this listing? 

@Susan17  Haha, I was thinking to ask the same thing. I think we could hazard a guess.

@Sarah977 

Ah but you'd have asked it so much more diplomatically than me - I wish I'd been blessed with your patience! 🙂 As it was, I had to rewrite that question several times in order to avoid being censored. (Again) 

There's sure been an explosion of these "nail-your-host-to-the-mast"posts lately. Each one more petty and more preposterous than the last. You've gotta love how these injured parties  are always so well-versed in Airbnb policy and terminology though. The word is well and truly out - it's official... Airbnb hosts are the softest marks in town. Eeeasy money!

@Susan17  Well, they better not book with you, me,  Fred, @Jessica-and-Henry0@Branka-and-Silvia0 or a lot of other no-nonsense hosts here if they're looking for soft marks, they wouldn't know what hit them 🙂 

It is distressing that there appears to be a whole network of "How to screw over your nice Airbnb host" information and a whole bunch of people who think that's just a great thing to do..

@Sarah977

It's even more distressing that a $38 billion global corporation is enabling and facilitating an epidemic of scamming behaviour on their platform, with their skewed and disparate guest-centic, host-punitive policies and practices. People will only try on, what they're permitted to get away with. A lot of hosts depend on their hosting income to pay their bills and feed their families, yet Airbnb play free and easy with our money, to curry favour for themselves. Buying brand loyalty at our expense. Despicable. 

@Manoradhan0

If it's not on the amenities list.....then of course it's not available. Some appliances are built-in and guest use could be limited for whatever reason.

My listing pic shows a printer-scanner in the living room shared space, but it is not available for guest use and it is not mentioned anywhere on the amenities list or listing description that a printer-scanner is available. I'd be really surprised if a guest assumed just because they saw a printer in the listing pic they thought they'd have access to a printer while staying in my home.