Mold/water damage from humidifier

Angel49
Level 2
Los Alamos, NM

Mold/water damage from humidifier

My guests left after 3 weeks, and were running a humidifier the first week. I asked them to stop when I noticed water dripping onto the stucco below the windows. However after checkout, there is mold and plaster peeling off around the windows in each room. How to review?also a strong odor of rotting fish coming from the disposal. I treated it with vinegar and soda, but the odor is still intense!

10 Replies 10
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Always review honestly without sounding petty.  Was there anything good about their stay?  Were they nice people?  Did they communicate well?  Make sure to mention those things as well.

Thank you. I decided to chalk up the damage to my own learning curve, and just leave them a good review without mentioning the issue since they stopped the humidifier as soon as I showed them the leaking sills. I appreciate your response!

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Cut up a lemon and run it through the disposal, peel, seeds, and all. Remove the rubber gasket and run it through the dishwasher.  That should take care of the fish smell.

Did they bring the humidifier with them?  Or was it in the room?

If it was in the room, take it out.

If they brought it with them, you let it in.

I don't see that they did anything wrong.

The used what was available to them.

Mold is pretty easy to remedy but repairing walls is a pain.

That's what I would be most upset about as taping and mudwork are a task I cannot stand to deal with.

Thanks Wendy, for your response,

I used citrus, it helped! But the odor returned, so I used a drain disposal pod to break down whatever was rotting and it cleared it up. I ended up leaving them a positive review since they stopped running the humidifier when I showed them the moisture accumulation outside the windows. They'd brought the humidifier in, but I hadn't noticed until checking in to collect linens.

@Angel49,

People travel with HUMIDIFIERS????

OMG.... I've heard everything now!!!

Glad you got the fish stink out.  I don't let anyone mess around with my dishes.  I load the dishwasher and handle all that stuff because people will throw a cow into the disposal if they could get it to fit.

I'm still trying to visualize someone traveling with a humidifier.

Glad you gave them a good review.... I hope they did the same for you.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Wendy-and-Frank0 I can not belive it too 😄 Now I have to put it in my house rules: NO HUMIDIFIER ! Jesus! 

@Branka-and-Silvia0, No space heaters, no air conditioners, no fans, too!

@Wendy-and-Frank0 I already have "no oven" rule after a couple came and put their electric stove-oven on my stove . They were Jews, maybe they have some special-oven-rules....  I don't know... but you can't install your appliances at my place!

You are killing me, @Branka-and-Silvia0. Ha ha ha. But they probably needed a kosher oven. People never cease to amaze me. 

That's really bad!