Monthly rentals

Mark--Moshe-0
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

Monthly rentals

Hello!

I am just looking for some tips/sugguestions/feedback. 

I have been hosting for a bit now, about 8 months(in maryland).  I had a couple inquire about booking for 2 months, They have one review (registered on air bnb for 1.5 years almost). They have gov ID verfied. What i found weird is that they are from my city, according to their page. Should I be worried about anything? I understand there is always a possibility of a squatter, but does this seem like a squatter? 

Thank you in advance!

2 Replies 2
Susan263
Level 2
Joshua Tree, CA

There are lots of reasons people may want to book monthly but live locally.  Sold a house , waiting to shop/close escrow on a new one, checking out a different area of town.  Moving out of the area soon, but not quite yet... people break up (not this case as it's a couple) but there are many reasons that a fully furnished, inclusive rate option is perfect.  Are you able to just ask?  

@Mark--Moshe-0:

What @Susan263 said is all true. Don't be afraid to ask questions- that's what the inquiries are for.

Be prepared, though, that long term rentals fall under different laws than short term. You need to read up on the Maryland Landlord Act and make sure you follow it to a "T" or you can get into legal hot water very quickly. Pay close attention to entering the guest's area without notice or not enough notice. Also be prepared to evict and know what is involved should that happen.  Also you need to be aware of zoning laws for your neighborhood as some areas restrict long term rentals (usually Z1).

Long term rentals are great when they work out. It's a LOT less work to clean once a week or once a month than every day! We usually offer our long termers clean sheets and towels and a quick clean (vacuum, mop, dust and bathroom cleaning) once per week. This enables us to enter the area and make sure that everything is OK and makes the renters feel like they are special too.