More guests staying than booked

Answered!
Stuart63
Level 1
Mouzens, France

More guests staying than booked

Hi

We have a situation where the person who actually made the booking has not turned up, friends have though and there are more of them than booked and more than we allow in the house - any ideas?

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Stuart63 it is a third party booking and this is not allowed at Airbnb.

You didn't have to check them in, and you can terminate their stay if you like but will not be paid for the rest of the stay unfortunately. Don't do it by yourself but contact Airbnb instead and they will cancel for you. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us#/

If you don't want to cancel then you should at least go there and ask them to show you their photo ID , take a picture of their documents bc you should know who is staying at your property.

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32
Lakshmi16
Level 2
Glendora, CA

The same situation is happening. They booked for 4 and I see that during check in out one car arrived with 5 and parked in the drive way.  I am ok with that. I could see all 5 since all they entered through main door where I have a security camera. 

But in the night two cars arrived and they were parked in the garage. I was not sure how many were in that car. I don't have a camera in the garage to see how many were in those cars, but definitely two people will be.  

This happened yesterday night. I am super host and I was not sure how to handle such a situation. Should I ask them or not to ask them? Approach AirBNB or not to approach? What they will do ? I don't have a good reputation with the resolution center. 

Thoughts?

Paul-and-Denise1
Level 1
Christchurch, New Zealand

I have just been informed by my neighbour that 5 people are staying but only two were booked. I rang Air B&B and they won't do anything about it as they want proof like a photo!

It is almost impossible to get proof as you would have to catch them sleeping in the beds and photo all 5 people which is near impossible without invading privacy.

What have others done to resolve this issue?

@paul-and-danise1

Record you water usage this is a very good indicator on the number staying, I have been monitoring water usage on my properties for at least four years and I can tell you that the usage is extremely consistent on a monthly bases so much so I can tell when more people are staying or when my tenants go on holidays.

https://toiletszones.com/how-much-water-is-used-when-you-flush-toilet/

https://spruceup.co.uk/how-much-water-does-a-shower-use/

https://www.greenandgrowing.org/water-washing-machine-use/

you get the picture

@Cormac0 

I also had recorded electric and gas meters on each changeover too. Definitely a difference with more guests, more gas use with elderly guests and more water use with kids, spikes to the average happen generally with the type of guests who do not follow the rules, are very messy and cause damage whether small or large.

Alex727
Level 2
Bolzano, Italy

Right now I have guests staying for 40 nights. I was recommended recently by Airbnb to allow long stays more than our usual 28 nights. It was an instant booking, which still allows us to cancel if we are not happy. They were verified and I checked the answers they gave to the questions they must answer to get instant booking. One of which is “Who is coming with you?” The guest that booked said two, her and her partner. The property is small and although there are 4 beds we accept a maximum of two during COVID unless they are all from the same household. Four guests turned up. We only knew this because a message from the guest asked for new mattresses on all four beds because they were not comfortable and they all had trouble sleeping.

I pointed out that I was surprised to hear there were four staying because they had received a long-stay discount for two. Had they put four guests in the booking we would have considered canceling the instant booking. This is something Airbnb say one can do without effecting ones status etc.

The two extra guests were from a different household who had not been in contact with the others before the stay began. These two extras will be leaving today after 14 days stay. Then in about 10 days a different two people will arrive to stay with them, again from a different household.

I should point out that our booking system charges for extra guests over 2. So by only stating 2 guests they pay less than they should. We offer a discount for couples so the extra fees are really just removing that discount. Once this was pointed out they said they believed they could have who they wanted to stay and had always done it this way with Airbnb.

I have all the proof I need since the guest has written all this to me in email messages.

They said each extra party of two were only staying 7 days each. The first has already been there 14 days.

I am not about to suggest that they leave or anything so drastic. I have pointed out the risks they are creating during the pandemic but they seem to think it is not an issue as they know each other.

They have continually complained about the beds and keep asking about things that are written clearly in the house rules on Airbnb and in the cottage. Although we have not had complaints about the mattresses before we decided that it was probably time to change them since they were coming to the end of their life anyway. This is also not something easily done from a distance to find a service to install new mattresses and dispose of old ones during this pandemic. We managed today to do that.

So what do I do? How do I contact Airbnb to explain that these guests have avoided paying the full amount and I wish to claim the extra. We do have a deposit in place which we could claim after they leave but it would not cover our loss AND my experience in mediation is that Airbnb tend to side more with the guests that the hosts. Not always but quite often.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation , I would contact Airbnb immediately (all the ways of contacting them are listed in the CONTACT AIRBNB post at the top of the forum you are posting in).  Ask them to cancel the booking as your guest had confirmed only two were staying and have two additional guests X 2 staying and that you don't feel comfortable. Say that two extra guests have already been staying for two weeks and then plan to have another two guests for the second half of the stay. @Alex727 

Before you do this send a request through the Resolution Centre to cover the costs of the additional guests who have stayed to date.

Can I ask why you weren't able to identify there were more guests on the property than had booked? Do you not have CCTV or a ring bell.

It sounds like you also don't have a local co-host in place, it would be worth considering so they can manage the eviction of problem guests, replacing equipment and furniture etc.

Thanks @Helen3 The reason we do not know exactly how many arrive is that we use a key safe for entry. Our house-keeper lives locally and changes linen on agreed days (presently every 14 nights during the pandemic). She is effectively our onsite manager for any issues that arise2. We do not have CCTV. Guests may arrive anytime between 15:30 and 22:00. She spotted the extra guests When she dropped off a spare set of keys that were requested.

I will contact the resolution centre. Thanks again.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can have both CCTV and use self-check in. The two are not mutually exclusive  Many hosts do exactly that. 

If you had CCTV you could have picked up on the first day that these guests had brought two more than had booked. It saves you a lot of trouble.

And guests like your current ones, would have been much more likely to try and scam you if they knew you had CCTV and could catch them out.

If you are paying your housekeeper to also act as a local co-host you could ask her to help with mattress replacements.

Do make sure once Airbnb has cancelled the booking, that your housekeeper goes over at the agreed time and films/photographs the property in case of damage.

@Alex727 

My I suggest there hoping you leave the old mattresses in the accommodation so they can pack in even more guests,  like children for example...

How do you know that there not subletting your property to other guests claiming the property as their own.

Thanks @Cormac0 I had considered that about the mattresses but looking at her profile and following the link from her email I was able to understand her job role and lifestyle. I do not believe she has been deliberately devious to sublet but has not been transparent and honest in the number of guests.

Today the new mattresses went in and old ones taken away. They were not present when this was done. My house-keeper has sent photos and they have moved all of the furniture around in the twin bedroom so that now the door hits one of the beds. Something else to deal with ....

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh @Alex727  of course your guest has been deliberately devious. She lied to you and confirmed she only had two guests staying, when she knowingly planned to have four additional guest stay over the duration.

Please let us know how Airbnb responds when you ask them to cancel.

@Alex727  I hope you can get them out.  They're bad guests.  Her remark that they had always done this in Airbnbs is probably untrue, totally beside the point, and disrespectful to you as a host.

Thanks @Ann72

Alex727
Level 2
Bolzano, Italy

I will indeed come back here with the results of any conversation with Airbnb. It took almost two hours to work out how to contact them and fill in the robot form questions. They say theywill reply within 72 hours. Thanks for the advice so far. @Helen3 , @Stuart63 , @Ann72 , @Cormac0 and apologies to @Paul-and-Denise1 for hijacking your thread

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Alex727 

Did you not find the contact details towards the top of this form? Please don't wait for them to respond online this is urgent. Give them a call. You may have to wait on the phone a while