Mother instant-booked au pair + 12yo child, listing says not suitable for kids

Lee143
Level 3
Rehoboth Beach, DE

Mother instant-booked au pair + 12yo child, listing says not suitable for kids

I had a mother instant book today, saying it was for her au pair and 12 yr old daughter. She says she has done this lots of times before. My listing says not suitable for children, but I know here in the US that doesn't allow me to discriminate. People specifically book with me for peace & quiet, as a getaway from their jobs (teachers) or even their own kids. I've messaged my other two bookings to ask if they mind (having a child here while they are also here), but haven't heard back yet.

I don't want to cancel and get penalized. I also hate to turn down the money (3 nights stay). But paramount, I don't want to regret this if it goes south...

I guess I have to just hope they behave? But if they don't, can I ask them to leave? What's even more worriesome is, what about their review of me? How can the mother review me if she hasn't stayed here? Or what if things don't go well, and the au pair says I told them to behave/be quiet/ stop running/ whatever... and the mother takes things out on me with a bad review?

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The mother can't book for someone else, aside from the child issue. That is a 3rd party booking and against Airbnb's Terms of Service. Whether she has done it "lots of times" before is immaterial. Contact Airbn to have the 3rd party booking cancelled without penalties to you.

And yes, you can state "not suitable for children" and cancel guests who ignore this.

@Lee143

If the mother is not one of the guests that is staying, it is considered a 3rd party booking which is not allowed. Follow @Sarah977's suggestion to contact Airbnb directly and have them cancel. Hosts are not penalized for these types of cancellations.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Agree with @Sarah977, would say nothing to stop the Au Pair booking in her own name but they will probably not think about that.

David
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I have read your wonderful reviews and would love to come and stay. Especially because you don't allow children. So all the third-party stuff aside, just stick with the rules: You don't accept children regardless of who books for them. It is unsuitable for children. Your cats don't like them, your insurance doesn't allow it, it is dangerous, whatever.  No children.

Lee143
Level 3
Rehoboth Beach, DE

UPDATE:

I tried for hours to get through to Airbnb that same day the woman booked (twitter, email, call 3x). Finally that evening at 9:30pm I tried calling the superhost hotline a 4th time, and immediately got through to a rep. Unbelieveably, I spent the next 30 min arguing with the phone rep. I repeately asked if 3rd party bookings were against Air's ToS. Not once did she confirm (or deny). Instead, she repeatedly DEFENDED the guest, saying "the mother was just trying to do something nice for her child, and book a vacation for the child and babysitter."

In addition, I was chastised for "waiting til the night before checkin" not telling the guest MYSELF by message that I had a problem with her booking for a third party, AND that I "don't want kids" (the rep's words, not mine). (uhh...duh...Nevermind that the booking had only originated mere hours earlier.)

[I still think it's very suspicious why a mother would book a place to ship off her kid and a babysitter LESS THAN 24 HRS later]

I gave up in frustration on the phone. The rep said she would immediately call the guest and cancel the booking, but ALSO help her to FIND ANOTHER place instead for the mother to third-party book for the babysitter/child.   :0 

Half hour later, I get a message from the rep saying that she called and told the guest that I WAS UNCOMFORTABLE HAVING CHILDREN HERE and that I WANTED THE BOOKING CANCELLED. (and that yes, she had found another place for them to book instead.) She totally threw me under the bus!

After I complained again to Airbnb, this is the response I got: 

"If they were bringing a child, that is their own choice, but it doesn't have anything to do as far as our ToS goes, but still, this should've been handled better, and much more professional than it was.  We are always wanting to make both our Guests and our Hosts feel appreciated and respected by each other, as well as us, and to keep the platform safe and that everyone is treated fair."

--->>> I thought that was the end of it, but now I am getting harrassing messages through the app from the mother saying it was a bait-and-switch, that she was furious, and that she is working to ruin my reputation, and is working with Airbnb to leave a bad review for me for the non-booking. She clearly has also been digging into my background/profile on the internet, because she mentioned other places I am associated with that she was intending to get the word out not to do business with me.

@Lee143  Email the mother the imformation below it proves you were telling the truth use the messaging system. I would also call AirBnB and let them know she is threating a retaliatory review for you following AirBnB's own policy on third party bookings. 

I’m booking for another person, why should I use this booking mechanism instead of just booking a trip myself?

It is not permitted. Booking for another user is not permitted on our platform unless you use our defined 3rd party booking flow. If a user books for another user and puts themselves down as a guest, that reservation is outside of our terms of service and can be cancelled by our system or agents, or by a host.

Can I book on behalf of a friend or family member?

Transparency and trust are vital to the Airbnb experience. People rely on information in Airbnb profiles, reviews, and other verifications when deciding whether to host or stay with someone.

We require Airbnb reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the listing.

Instead of making a reservation for someone else, consider referring them to Airbnb. You can refer them to Airbnb directly from your dashboard by clicking the Invite Friends button. When a referred friend or family member successfully completes a qualifying reservation, you’ll earn travel credit.

For business trips, Airbnb allows designated bookers at companies enrolled in Airbnb for Business to book trips on behalf of others. If you book travel for a company, read more.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member