My 7th tip for great guests review that really works!

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

My 7th tip for great guests review that really works!

You have guests in the apartment and your next-door neighbour has prepared a huge birthday party that lasted all night. Or the power went out in your neighbourhood half a day due to a malfunction in the main substation. 

Of course, you will apologize to the guests for the inconvenience.

Even though it was outside of your control to prevent this event, some guests might reduce their star rating for this inconvenience. 

My suggestion is that before arrival of each guest, buy a souvenir of your city and write a message something like "Thank you for staying in my apartment!"  Put the souvenir and message somewhere that is not within the reach of the guests eye.

On the day of guests departure ( personally I am not present at guests departure) send them a message wishing them a safe back home and tell them to take a look at that "hidden place". They will forget about that inconvenience immediately. 

I suggest that you tell all of your guests about "hidden place" regardless of whether there was such situation outside of your control  or everything went perfectly.

It will create that WOW! effect an you will get a great review. Try it and see:).

20 Replies 20

true Marcus. I notice huge decline in guests quality before Airbnb become big

Airbnb attracted amazing people who where appreciative of everything it is not the case anymore.

This is billiant! Thanks for the tip! 

When a young family with two small children were awakened by a banging noise coming from our furnace at 6:00 am, needless to say they were not happy.  The banging would stop then start again after about 15 minutes then repeat the cycle of banging every 15 minutes.  On top of that, we did not receive their calls or texts for a couple of hours.

We felt so badly about this experience, that we had a small lego set, a stuffed animal and flowers to present to them when we said we would be over to fix the problem immediately.  The gifts did not cost very much and to us, it was the least we could do for such an inconvience.  The guests said it was not necessary, but they also felt it was a great jesture and all was forgiven so to speak.  They were not happy initially, but the gifts meant alot to them.  

Saying all this, buy little gifts or tokens when in the store on sale and keep them on hand for such emergencies.  A few dollars spent on these items go a long way to making peace and shows the guest that they are important to you as their host.  We have games, toys, little travel perfume, soaps, etc. on hand just for our guests if and when we have household problems, even though most or all are beyond our control.

Also, if a big group stays in our home or a long term stay, we always have fresh flowers in the dining room and their bedroom when they arrive.  We feel that is the least we can do to show our appreciation.  Additionally, I read a Harvard Medical School psychologist found that women who saw flowers when they woke up reported feeling happier and less anxious at home, as well as more energetic at work.

DeLex0
Level 1
New York, NY

What a great tip!!  I know as a guest I always enjoy when the host leaves something for us, and as a host, I am always thrilled when guests bring something special for us from their country.  I love your idea and I look forward to using it.  Being kind and thinking of others gets you so far in the world, and builds you many friends.

Frankie-and-Chris0
Level 2
Corseaux, Switzerland

In other words, a small bribe!

Frankie&Chris
Markus-Und-Marcio0
Level 2
Cologne, Germany

Great idea but honestly, i d always give a little refund in these cases - money rues the world. Had a nights electricity breakdown once and refunded 50 % of one night - got an excellent reveiw that did not mention the problem.