My Parents (Superhosts) are displaced by the Camp fire in Chico, their home may be gone

My Parents (Superhosts) are displaced by the Camp fire in Chico, their home may be gone

My parents are Airbnb hosts (https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/4113360, https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20427908) renting out two spare bedrooms in their house which is located in Butte Creek Canyon, direclty under the town of Paradise which was completely wiped out by the Camp fire yesterday.

Their guests evacuated ahead of time to a neighboring town and my mom, being a "Superhost" in the truest sense of the word, gathered their guest's things as she was evacuating (sacrificing space that could have been used to rescue my parent's own things) and made a special trip to Oroville meet her guests and deliver their things before driving up to Oregon.

My 69 year old dad stayed at the house trying to prepare for the fire and defend it, setting up sprinklers and moving wood away from the house, but a fireman found him and forced him to leave. He said the entire canyon was on fire top to bottom on his way out. He ended up sleeping in an emergency shelter overnight. We still don't know for sure if the house was destroyed but based on maps of where the fire has been it seems likely that it's gone. He had to leave his two beloved cats. 

Are there any hosts near Chico who can make room for my dad? He doesn't even have a change of clothes.

10 Replies 10
Christina0
Level 5
Nevada, United States

So horrible and sad! I'm so sorry to hear about your parents and their guests. I'm a little far away in Reno, but these California fires have been so horrible. I hope the firefighters were able to save the house. Keep us updated.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brenton-And-Lauren0  Contact Airbnb- they have a program for victims of disasters, I think a list of hosts who will provide accomodation. I can't remember what it's called, maybe some other hosts who do will chime in.

Hoping your parents' home was not destroyed and that the cats survived and are found. Good thing the firemen made your dad leave, though. Tornados and hurricanes can be survived as long as one has a safe place to hole up, wildfires are another story entirely.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Brenton-And-Lauren0

I'm so sorry to read this. My heart goes out to your parents, a terribly difficult time for them. Your mum and dad sound like the very best of people, by the way. I wish them strength, courage and healing for the journey ahead. 

This is the Airbnb Open Homes program, to provide emergency accommodation for those seeking refuge from disaster. Hopefully, you may be able to find somewhere there. 

https://www.airbnbcitizen.com/disaster-response/

Thank you @Susan17. There was one place left in the area and we are waiting to hear back if it is available. 

You're welcome, @Brenton-And-Lauren0 If you get a moment in the next few days, please do let us know how everything is going for your parents.  Very best wishes to them, and to all affected neighbours, friends and members of their community. May they recover quickly. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Brenton-And-Lauren0. Prayers and comfort to your parents at this difficult time. No words can comfort them for their trauma and loss from this distance, but please know they are in my thoughts. There but for the grace of God, we are all just a degree away from life changing events. I do hope they get accommodation. Fingers crossed. X

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Brenton-And-Lauren0thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Sadly there's been to many a fire in California.

Out of tragic circumstances may we all have positive regeneration.

I hope the kitty cats are safe and have not come to any harm as animals are the best form of healing in times of stress.

Take care & comfort knowing there is a community across the world who care.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Brenton-And-Lauren0 Just in case your parents still need a place, here's another link that I saw just now. Seems to be quite a few places on this one. Maybe it's been updated as new hosts sign up

https://www.airbnb.ie/welcome/evacuees/venturacounty

I have a room available and have been trying all afternoon to figure out how this site works. So glad people have put in some links. I'm located east of Sacramento before Placerville if that's not too far and he hasn't found a place to stay yet. Just write me back and let me know. 

Paula-and-Rene0
Level 1
Pollock Pines, CA

I have an Airbnb in Pollock Pines, CA.  Where he can stay.