My account has been closed

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My account has been closed

This is partly to say goodbye to all the other Hosts I have interacted with and also give you a heads up. Firstly thanks for all your help over the last 3 years.

I listed on ABB 3 years ago, firstly with one room, then added 2 more and finally a 4th a month or so ago.

I have had around 1,000 bookings, 700 reviews and 400 5 star reviews and my rating was 4.7.

Superhost

Had one extenuating circumstances single night cancellation 18 months ago Burst pipe.

Use instant Book from about a month after I listed, I accept Dogs etc so no issues with any of ABB policies.

I have been super busy this summer, not sure when the last time was I had a night to myself,  and last weekend was our main event in town.

Most days I get a booking, but a lot of people book a week or 2 out and of late I have not had much availability.

A week ago a guest told me that she could nto find me on the AirBnB site, everyting was working fine from my end, I logged out and searched and could not find me either.

So I contacted ABB forst through the Help function , they were very responsive, congratulated me on all my good reviews etc etc, could see there was an issue bit would need to refer it, this went on for a few hours and they could get no feeback from the team that would handle it.

Couple of days later I tried Twitter, similar deal, your Manager will contact you by email.

Yesterday I tried agian, went through the same thing.

In the meantime I had Guests stay, I was paid, reviews done. All was normal.

Then I received the standard we are closing your account and not telling you why message I have seen many times on here.

Fortunately I am pretty easy to find with a Google search and most of my bookings have already contacted me and I have made other arrangements. I knew I was exposed mainly using one provider, ABB was the only site I used, I have friends, people I know stay with me. direct

I had also looked into what to do going forward and have now put the wheels in motion.

Why, well I do not know, I can think of only 2 reasons:

- My participation on here - but that seems unlikely, but not impossible.

- There was some technical glitch on my listing that disappeared me from the search function and it was easier for the person to just delete my account than sort it. I am inclined to believe this which is of course a sad indictment.

I am realistic, even with all my booking ABB probably made $2,000 a year from me, I am hardly of consequence to them.

Fortunatley this did not happen in June, I can deal with this as things have dipped, the Schools have gone back and to be honest I need a breather, has been a long summer.

My Guests were told ABB had cancelled the bookings, there were given the standard 10% credit to be used for another ABB booking and their money back. But not why.

I told them I would honour the price but without the AirBnB fee. I will be increasing my prices.

David
157 Replies 157

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 Correction: If indeed listings are being hidden, it would benefit new hosts who do not use the guest requirement settings when agreeing to turn on the 'Instant Book' feature - We hosts who actually screen might be seen as being 'difficult' and non-compliant and therefore not as highly valued. But of course, listings might just be disappearing due to yet another 'computer glitch' (a common theme around here).

@Rebecca181 Airbnb's purpose is to make sure new listings gets booked asap so as to hook the new hosts to the platform.They really do not care about older hosts who are already hooked to the system.Just like drug dealers looking for new potential junkies.No wonder the glitch word is so popular these days.

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 Yes, you're likely right. Each new booking likely incites the release of endorphins and dopamine and before you know it, you are dependent on the Airbnb "Candy Man". 

@Rebecca181 I call it the Airbnb addiction.Way more addictive than any narcotic product 🙂

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Everyone should read the EU link earlier, they make very fair requests of Airbnb, stating clearly what Airbnb is doing contractually now is both not legal and not fair.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4453_en.htm

Again, in US, we call these actions Bad Faith in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_faith

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Any updates on this situation? 

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

David that is awful!!! I’m glad you have found a great niche and will continue on. How will you get the same traffic as Airbnb? Were you already getting guests from other places? @David126

Stay-Asheville0
Level 10
Asheville, NC

AirBnB has lost their way.