My guest booked the wrong date by accident, and the date he wants is already booked. How to cancel?

Promethea0
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

My guest booked the wrong date by accident, and the date he wants is already booked. How to cancel?

Hello Airbnb Community!

A guest just booked my listing for the wrong date, and the date that he actually wants is already booked.  He realized his mistake right away, but neither of us can figure out how to cancel the reservation without incurring a penalty.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Thea **

Charlottesville, VA 

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Promethea0   Sounds cold, but guest error so guest has to cancel.  Possibly he can plea with Air BNB about waiving losing the fees, but probably not.  You do nothing other than communicate through the Air BNB messaging system that he must initiate the cancellation.  

Just want to agree with @Linda108, up the Guest to cancel.

David

Thanks, Linda.  Is there any practical advice that I can offer about how to connect him with a live person that could help him directly?  I left a message on Airbnb's twitter account (#airbnb help) but haven't heard back.  I'd love to be able to be helpful in any way I can-  he's an older guy and clearly just clicked the wrong button.

@Promethea0  On his confirmation is a phone number.  He should call very early in the morning like I do.  

Richard1
Level 7
Lenox, MA

How was your guest able to book if it was booked already?  Was it booked by someone outside of the AirBnB platform?  

Sorry,  I think I understand.  Your guest booked a date that he really does not want -  he wants to book a different date but that date is not available.  Your guest will have to cancel.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Promethea0

I would also suggest you look at BNB's help centre and read up on cancellations and other basics around being a BNB host.

BNB takes host cancellations very seriously and will penalise you. So if a guest wants to cancel it's important that they do this.

As others have said the guest needs to contact BNB. He can cancel by clicking the cancel button on this booking.