My listing in a search is much higher than price I set

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

My listing in a search is much higher than price I set

My listing recently has appeared with a much higher price than I actually set (which I feel would discourage potential guests from choosing to explore my listing ). This price problem occurs in the search properties for .....location. I am waiting for an answer from Airbnb (10 Days). Is this happening to anyone else?

59 Replies 59

100% right, 0% wrong :). If Airbnb would just use the current calendar price from SmartPricing as the listing price that would be great.

Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

@Beth44

Hi Beth,

I had the opposite problem. I listed my property at one third of the price to others in my area. I got this instead.

1. Airbnb recommended that I list at an even lower rate; they suggested that the local listings on a 'like for like' basis that I listed too high. (That confused the heck out of me and I immediately ran a check (logging in as a guest) to verify my concerns.

I believe, that even though I have my property listed as 'whole house,' that Airbnb is actually viewing my cottage as a 'room' instead. What makes me believe this with conviction is the added information that the www address includes the word 'rooms' prior to the registered number of my listed. 

2. That my property was consistently being offered below my base price. I put my price up by ten dollars, and it still did it. I upped my price by a further ten dollars and it overcame the issue.

3. At one point, even though I'd changed my price - it was frozen at the price that I'd listed previously. This meant that two of the bookings that came in after my price change, paid the cheaper rate. For the life of me I cannot work this one out at all. Just glad it resolved.

Still, I AM new to Airbnb - I'm still in my first month, and it's all been a huge and enjoyable learning curve. 

Good luck with your listing.

Deborah.

I love our Airbnb Community❣

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️

I looked at the instant book and think I discovered what happened in my case. I have today set at $145, but when I click to the day, it says $183....???? There is a small question mark next to the line that says "$183 x 2 nights". I clicked it and the price breakdown was $145 per night with the $75 cleaning fee divided in two and split between the two days.... 

Gosh....

Good to hear your explanation-it makes sense!

It seems like this is an issue that needs AIRBNB's attention and boy would a better explanation help the confusion! I have always had good support from Airbnb except for this issue.

Hi, thanks for all replies. I was excited by by 1st 4 weeks as new host, starting mid June. This week- same problem as yours! "Seascape" room Whitby UK on search is £54 for 2 guests 1 night 30th-31st.This has panoramic seaview, next to sandy beach. The back room, "Seashore" was 20 minutes ago, then same room  listed as £71 from my search for 2 guests, then same room, same night, 2 guests for £86! I just looked again- £56!  Vague answer from Help when I phoned- she said it's automatic and they can't change it. No wonder we were empty last Wednesday- Friday and since Sunday nil til Saturday! Marilyn

The same is happening to me. I have my apt listed for $229 and on the search map, it says $279!! I have had no stay requests in almost 2 months. 

I have sent several emails to Airbnb but they say they cannot resolve this issue and that it has to do with the algorithms of the site. 

If anyone finds out how to fix this PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

L

That's also happening with me. I priced my place with 110$ , and when I search for it was 180$ !!!
I read all the community massages nothing help with it yet.

Irina4
Level 2
Hurghada, Egypt

I have the same problem. I just noticed, that I have no bookings for long time. I checked my listing as I am a guest. I was surprised so much!!!!! Very hight price listed and some of my property didn't apper at all

who knows, how can I contact the company? Are the company read those reviews? or not? I really need to improve the situation as soon as possible. I have no clients at all

Kara36
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi I'm a fairly new host, I got a shock when I saw my property listed at $165 per night when I searched to check price comparison with similar properties.  We list at $125 per night.  I rechecked my listing and smart pricing is off, there should not be a difference, then I went back to my search and I realised it was due to the number of people I had searched for.  We charge an additional $20 per person per night after 2 people.  The additional cost of adults showed in the booking search.  When I amended the search to 2 people it went back to our base rate of $125?  I wonder if this is what is happening for you as well?

Shu4
Level 1
Oakland, CA

Looks like they included the cleaning fee in the search price.

The search price = (base price) x (number of nights) + (cleaning fee) / number of nights.

For example, search price = $185 

base price/night = $135 (2 night)

cleaning fee = $100

270+100/2=$185

Diana65
Level 2
Wells, ME

Hello lovely airbnb hosts.

The same thing happened to me - however, it adds  up to the AIRBNB fee  so I'm going to question our guests to see what is going on .

And I'm going to be keeping a better eye on things!

Alicia144
Level 4
Tyler, TX

Yes, Beth, this seems to be a huge problem with Air B & B, but they are choosing to ignore it.  I have copied (since there is no way to forward) the email I received from them this morning for you to read.  This was their respons:

I have investigated the situation, did several different searches, reported to another department to be sure that there was nothing wrong with the system, also asked for different opinions about this matter and I have discovered why your listing shows up with a different price on the guest searches.
The price of your listing will always appear with different prices depending on the type of search that the guests do, and the system automatically adds the fees that you have set on your listing details. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do manually to change the system, but I will report this matter to the department that takes care of our platform. We are always trying to improve the platform and make the work of our users easy.

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us and have a great weekend!

Kind regards,

As you can see from their email, they are doing NOTHING about it.   It'a bunch of BULL.

Gigi-and-Matt0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

1. Airbnb deduct 3% from your host ernings

Airbnb takes a 3% service fee from the host for each reservation to cover the cost of 'processing the transaction'.

2. Airbnb charge a 6-12% booking fee to guests

In addition to the 3% transaction fee they charge your guests 6-12% on top for 'guest service fees'.