NY law

Roy-and-Tiffany0
Level 1
Niagara Falls, NY

NY law

Does anyone know how the NYS law effects the rest of NY state. All i see is information on NYC. We have an entire private apartment that we rent out of a multi unit building in Western NY. We have not heard anything from Airbnb about weather we need to stop hosting or not. What is everyone else doing? 

Thanks,

Tiffany

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Roy-and-Tiffany0  I am fairly certain that Air BNB will not advise you whether your listing has met any regulatory requirements.  It is up to the business owner, i.e., host to figure that out.  That being said, you might be able to reach a knowledgeable host in the area you are hosting.  Find a listing of someone who has some experience and click on send host a message.  Since you are in an apartment building, you might need to also check your lease agreement.

Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

I'm pretty sure it applies to all NYS but exoect enforcement to be focused in NYC. 

Here is link to a great write up of the implications. Btw the new law only makes it illegal to advertise. The actual law has been in place for some time. 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

image.jpgI believe the law pertains only to NYC, although you will find articles on the web that do say NYS. I actually looked up the NYS Senate bill, and although I am not an attorney, I believe I am reading it to say NYC. 

I have included a screen shot of the bill.

Jude

Maria745
Level 1
New York, NY

Fellow hosts, anyone has had a fine for renting a full apartment in NYC for less than 30 days? Is the new law in NYS really being supervised or are things still like before? Advice/suggestions welcome

Susan832
Level 3
Niagara Falls, NY

FYI, watch out for long term rentals. In NYS, if you book for more than 28 days, they become a tenant and that opens up a whole new set of problems. 

Regards

Susan