Name on profile MUST match their I.D.

Debs0
Level 3
Fairfield, IA

Name on profile MUST match their I.D.

I have had guests not list their correct name but a 'handle' or 'nick name' or first name only. They often won't post a photo either. Yet they can come into my home, my privacy and my life so that I'm am 100% exposed to them. I request Goverment I.D. upon arrival, but it shouldn't have to be like that. They should be who they say they are,  not some alias. Airbnb should list their correct name and make sure it matches their bank account/references etc.

Response from Airbnb

Thank you for this Idea. Understanding what hosts and guests need in order to feel comfortable and trust each other is one of our top priorities, and we’re always working on ways we can improve. In this instance, you can check the verifications that a guest has completed, and you can always view the guest’s profile by clicking on their name or profile photo. We have spent significant time thinking about user names and pictures. The name a guest chooses is a form of personal expression, just like the guest’s profile photo. For this reason, we will continue to allow guests to choose the name that represents them on Airbnb. Moving forward, we are considering a solution in which we share the guest’s name from their verified ID with the host while still letting the guest choose the profile name that publicly represents them on Airbnb. We believe it’s possible to have both personal expression and a verification process that makes both hosts and guests comfortable.

24 Replies 24
Theresa11
Level 3
London, GB

Totally agree

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I do hope ABNB is really considering doing something about this! I have my first reservation with a person who only lists their first name and an initial for a last name. They were "verified" by ABNB and instant booked. I called the ABNB support team and was told the guest did not reveal her last name in her profile and they could not give it to me, but to rest assured the verification team has verified her ID.

Interestingly, today we were sent the new "Terms of Service", that we are to read and accept. I actually read every word of the ENTIRE document. Guess what? I found this in section 9 part B... "When a Booking is requested via the Site, Application or Services, we will share with you (i) the first and last name of the Guest who has requested the Booking,"... So, I called the ABNB support team again and asked them for the last name of the guest who booked our place for late December.

Again I was told the guest's last name doesn't appear on their screen AND that it is okay for guests to create an alias name or use only their initial for a last name. I asked where does it say that? The rep replied "It's common knowledge". I told the rep that I don't see this in the "Terms of Service" or elsewhere. The rep then explained there are many celebrities who book on ABNB who don't want to reveal their name, so they allow this. Also, foreigners who want to use a name that is easier for westerners to pronounce, so it's okay.  

I told the rep that it 's not okay with me, because I want to be able find out more about a guest before they show up on my doorstep. When I am vetting a guest, I find it helpful to google their name and learn more about them prior to their arrival. Is the person at my door who they say they are? Does their photo ID match their profile? Come on! ABNB says they will share the guest's first and last name with the host, so why don't they honor their word?

Andrea39
Level 10
Rome, Italy

I'd like to add that it is ridicolous to see in the guests' profiles images of red fishs, sunsets, oceans, piece of cakes ... 

I do agree with AIRBNB the hosts should have any racial and/or sexual discrimination but on the other hand I'd like to see the face of my guest and learn more about him/her (often there is no introduction in their profiles) before to welcome her/him in my HOME!!!

My idea is that AIRBNB has grown fast because the hosts were more protected and more supported than other reservations' platforms, but now it seems AIRBNB is taking care more about the guests and they don't care to lose hosts ... and also the new fees seem to go foward this strategy.

Liv6
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I have some one booked in with the photo of an oranotang  ( excuse spelling !) doesn't give one much confidence !

Airbnb
Official Account

Thank you for this Idea. Understanding what hosts and guests need in order to feel comfortable and trust each other is one of our top priorities, and we’re always working on ways we can improve. In this instance, you can check the verifications that a guest has completed, and you can always view the guest’s profile by clicking on their name or profile photo. We have spent significant time thinking about user names and pictures. The name a guest chooses is a form of personal expression, just like the guest’s profile photo. For this reason, we will continue to allow guests to choose the name that represents them on Airbnb. Moving forward, we are considering a solution in which we share the guest’s name from their verified ID with the host while still letting the guest choose the profile name that publicly represents them on Airbnb. We believe it’s possible to have both personal expression and a verification process that makes both hosts and guests comfortable.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I accept that guests use nicknames before booking, but the moment they book, there is a legal contract between host and guest. The host's responsability is engaged, towards the guest for service provided and safety, and towards local law. How can there be a binding legal contract without knowing the other person's name or worse, one partner deliberately giving a false ID? 

In France, I could theoretically find myself with a sqatter and be unable to get rid of the person. I need to have a short term contract, otherwise it is automatically a normal rental contract. If guest Jo refuses to move out, he could claim, he rents the place legally. I gave him a key and let him stay 48 hours. Now, I can plead I have a short term agreement with Jo, but Jo may actually be Paul and I have no seasonal contract with Paul. Who got the keys, stayed 3 nights and is a tenant. 

It may take me years to get rid of Paul.

I'm all for simple solutions, but that can be one with catastrophic consequences.

If a Guest communicates with a name that is obviously not the same as their correspondence, I now have to do extra homework.

My job is to protect both my own peace of mind, and to protect my other guests. 

Some nicknames are obvious, but when the two names are vey different, i don't book. This is because I have no idea which name earned the verifications.

Peggy-And-Mike0
Level 10
Georgia, United States

I read the response from AirBnB which is now nearly six months old...that they were considering providing the full name. I find that it get it AFTER someone books, but what I need is a first and last name BEFORE someone books.  You don't have to require it for their profile nickname and to be published, but AirBnB gets the info and should share it with prospective hosts.  I get nearly 100% first timers with nicknames and no photos and now Lindenwold NJ as their universal location, which means AIRBnB minimum requirements PROVIDE ME NO USEFUL INFORMATION to evaluate their fit for our home.  Unless the guests offers more, it's sparse.  Come on AirBnB, do better! 

Diana106
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Agreed - they should be able to have a "handle" when surfing AirBNB for their protection, same as a host would. And, since the host reveals their full name on booking, so should the guest.

Robert577
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

What is the update of airbnb on this? Did airbnb find a 'solution' to 'share the guest's name from their verified ID with the host'?

I've had a guest with 'verified information' changing his name after checking in and returning the keys 1 hour later for no good reason.

Because the strange behaviour of that guest, I reported this and requested airbnb to give me feedback.

The airbnb customer service number in the UK disconnects without the host being able to speak to anyone of airbnb. Just hoping they answer me through email (few days waiting now): I want to know how I can be sure the 'verified information' is correct.