Needing Help!!! New guest, no reviews, long term stay request

Bec1
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Needing Help!!! New guest, no reviews, long term stay request

Hi fellow Airbnb hosts, 

I have used airbnb as a guest a few times throughout our travels. As a result of positive experiences, I have also signed up as a host. 

The first request I received was from a guest from overseas, wanting to book for 3 weeks, member since 2015, with no guest reviews and limited information on the profile. In one breathe, its great to have someone interested in staying in our apartment. However, I cant help but be cautious with who we approve as guests. 

I am looking for advice on how to protect myself from scammers and potential risks? Your help is appreciated :D. Does this guest request sound legitmate and am I reading into it too much or should I decline? 

Thanks

Bec

2 Replies 2
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Bec1,

If the guest doesn't have government ID uploaded to Airbnb already, and if doing so would make you feel a bit more secure, then message the guest asking them to upload ID. If they object then I'd take that as a bad sign and not accept the booking.

Also message them and ask for some information like the purpose of their visit, are they on holidays or working etc.

I judge by the ease with which they respond and the tone of the response. For example, are they defensive, guarded and not helpful or do they come across as helpful and friendly.

If they seem defensive, giving very short "yes/no" answers then I'd decline the booking.

Be clear in your house rules as to what is allowed and what not. Longer term guests can sometimes get to feel like it's their house when it isn't.

Steve.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Bec1  First, I would ask yourself, "Do you want a foreign guest for 3 weeks as a brand new host?"  I always advise new hosts to get their feet wet first by accepting shorter bookings.  Then you get a feel for hosting and having strangers in your home.  Then as you get more comfortable, you can start accepting longer bookings if you feel that's the right route for you.  I found out I didn't prefer long-term bookings so my max is set to 2 weeks now.