Neighbors filing violation notices against our rentals - Mystic, CT

Lynsey0
Level 2
Connecticut, United States

Neighbors filing violation notices against our rentals - Mystic, CT

Friends - We need some help. It has come to light that the current zoning laws in Mystic, Connecticut, which lies within the town of Stonington, do not permit use of "transient rentals". A recent complaint that was filed indicated that the reason for the complaint was simple: "[The] current zoning regulations associates "residence" with "permanent occupancy". It would appear obvious that transient rentals - some of which have 24 hour check in - are a tourist-oriented, commercial business that is not consistent with the stability and security that "permanent occupancy" brings to a residental neighborhood."

Several Airbnb hosts in the area, as well as myself, are being told we have to "close our doors" to guests, and we are forming a committee to go to the zoning board and straighten this out. 

We would apprecite any help, feedback, support or the like from Airbnb and other hosts who have gone through this matter - we surely don't want to close down!

13 Replies 13
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Lots of areas do not allow short term rentals, should be something a local Property  Lawyer can advise you on.

David
Lisa40
Level 6
Edgewood, WA

I don't have any advise on this, I just wanted to say that I love Mystic and have been going there annually for several years. I have more often than not, stayed in Airbnb's. It is a shame that laws are preventing you from sharing your homes in such a great tourist filled area 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Lynsey0 did you not know before you started that it was against your local zoning laws. I know BNB says the onus is on hosts to check before setting up their listings.

obviously if you were allowed to let out your property when you first started and the regulations changed your case would be much stronger

Lynsey0
Level 2

Hi @Helen0,

It's not that we didn't know, it's that the zoning laws don't include anything on short term rentals because the laws are outdated. To update: we have organized a group of hosts/homeowners in the area and are hiring a land use attorney to assist us in amending the zoning regulations. 

I wanted to start a conversation on this because with the fees and subscriptions hosts pay to these sites I was hoping the sites (Airbnb and VRBO) would provide more assistance than simply saying "check with your local zoning board".

If they do not excluded STR activity why do they need to be amended?

David

Hi, Lynsey. I just got my violation notice. I'm in West Hartford.  I was reported by a "neighbor". I tried to look up the violation language and can't come up with anything. I did see a 2014 article by the Hartford Courant saying town officials are not sure on how to handle. I see I am responding to a post from November 2016.  How did things turn out for you?

Juanjo7
Level 3
Santiago de Compostela, Spain

Maybe you can try to get them to clarify the limit between transient and permanent occupation.

In some areas (outside U.S.)  That limit is a week.

Maybe you can work with that.

Lynsey0
Level 2

Hi @Jo,

Thank you very much for the thought. I will bring it up to the other hosts and see what they think.

Hannah62
Level 1
Stonington, CT

I saw an article in the local paper recently that discussed the lack of regulations in Stonington/Mystic towards Air BnB... It basically stated that a host could only be asked to close their doors if someone filed a complaint against them, due to unruly guests, or something along those lines that a neighbor complained about. Did this happen to you directly? How did this happen to you? It seemed from the article that there were not currently any intentions on changing the regulations to restrict hosts otherwise, because it hadn't caused much of a problem for anybody yet... I'm curious about this! I was originally researching Connecticut in the host forum to try and see if anybody in the area had their business license for taxing purposes?? Anyways I would definitely be willing to back you up, and learn more about the situation! We have had smooth sailing so far... 

Joel-and-Dawn0
Level 3
Indianapolis, IN

We have recently had a similar situation where neighbors complained to our town's Planning & Zoning office about our airbnb. 

Their primary complaint was that they did not like strangers walking on the street. Their secondary complaint was that they did not appreciate guests accidentally pulling up to their driveway looking for our location. We understand their concerns, and in no way intended for them to feel unsafe or disturbed. These instances rarely happen, but nevertheless we are working hard to make changes so that our airbnb will not bother our neighbors.

I had a conversation with the neighbor, letting them know that we apologize for the inconvenience, and want to correct the situation. We told them that we will state clearly on our listing that we ask guests not to walk on our immediate street, in efforts to respect the privacy of the community. We have also added recommendations for nearby parks if guests want to walk or hike. We also put this in our house rules, as well as on informational brochures that we place in each room. We cannot actually prevent guests from walking on a public street, but we are hoping that by making the request in a respectful way, our guests will at least be understanding.

Additionally, we now send guests a photo of the front of our house, as well as the address, to help them find the right location. I like the suggestion of leaving the porch lights on, and we may do that too, especially during the dark winter months.

Further, we gave our neighbors our direct contact information and asked them to call or text us if they have additional concerns, so that we can address them immediately. This way, we can **bleep** things in the bud without involving town officials.  

Although this situation has been uncomfortable, I have learned a lot.

First, since our town does not have laws specific to airbnb, we as hosts end up operating in a blurry grey space rather than clear black-and-white. There is no permit process, nor are there any guidelines or rules.

Second, a mindful and respecful conversation can go a long way in resolving concerns and preventing them from becoming bigger issues. This goes for our neighbors as well as our guests. Once our neighbors saw that we were genuinely trying to correct the issue, and that we cared about them, their frustration was greatly reduced. Also, we politely informed our guests about the neighbor's request not to walk on our street, and although the guests (understandably) found it odd, they also understood that there are external pressures from the neighbors, and thus, our guests were happy to comply. We also provided a 10% discount for the inconvenience, which they appreciated. 

I hope that all of these changes will help us to avoid any future problems, and will help us and our neighbors to have peace of mind. 

Lynsey, I sincerely hope that you and the other hosts in Mystic/Stonington were able to sort out the issues with the complaint. I would love to follow this story and learn more about how to best approach our planning & zoning office, if that should become necessary. 

Hello I am new with renting with airbnb. I got started late in June  only managed to book weekends mostly.  Wondering what the fall and winter months will provide as far as rental income. I know it will drop off as it is a seasonal destination mostly. I am wondering whether to rent my space private year round. I dont think it's easy to find a renter seasonally. I am Leary of young college kids.  Please advise Thankyou Shaton

Cris3324
Level 1
Connecticut, US

It is now 2020. Our town, Pomfret, CT, is working on language for our P&Z regulations for short-term rentals.

Did the Mystic issue get resolved? Do you have any advice for helping write good regulations that do not shut down this local business for homeowners looking to help pay their mortgages or heating bills (not start hotels!)?

Please let me know or if you have heard anything else in our state. Thanks.

The Mystic issue is not resolved. The Hosts have formed Mystic Host Association and are trying to resolve this with Planning and Zoning. Our town and the State of CT didn’t have restrictions when our hosts starting renting short term. Now with complaints from a handful of people, the topic is being visited by the town. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks785C51F9-B321-41C1-BE5E-5BA01AB21CF2.jpeg
3DBDB0BE-5EE6-4C0C-A3F3-139B96B1B77A.jpeg