New Announcement for London Hosts

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New Announcement for London Hosts

Hello London hosts,

By now, many of you will have received an email from the Team regarding a new system announcement in Greater London. This outlines, that from 2017 entire home listings will automatically, through the Airbnb system, be limited to 90 nights of hosting a year. I imagine you have several questions on this, so for more information take a look at these FAQs.

We understand that this may apply to many of you in Community Center, so we also wanted to highlight this new announcement to you here. Please do share any thoughts you may have.

Thanks,

Lizzie

-------------------Update on February 24, 2017---------------------

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are well.

I know many of you have additional questions on the above and so I want to keep you up-to-date and share with you the latest FAQ articles:

What short-term rental laws apply?

Night Limits

I hope you will find this useful and please do continue to share any thoughts you have, here in this thread.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

79 Replies 79
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Huma0,

I saw that you had posted your response after mentioning me into your post, but I did want to come back to you to make sure any confusion around this is clear now. 🙂

I hope you are good and are having a great start to the week.

Thanks,

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Daniel-and-Marsio0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Dear Lizzie

I'd like to encourage Airbnb to offer more support / promotion to those London hosts offering stays of 90+ nights (long-term stays).

A special section on the website and apps to make potential guests (and the wider public) realise that longer-term stays are available through Airbnb and that you don't have to rely on the 'traditional' rental market for this type of accommodation.

The points of difference that Airbnb could promote include (this list is not exhaustive, please add your suggestions):

- Flexibility: 90+ nights means anything over ninety nights, but you don't have to sign up to a 1 or 2 year contract, ideal for business travellers, people in transition periods, or even longterm tourists!

- Safety: robust reviews, super-hosts status and clear listings with good photos enable potential guests/tenants to make a very well informed choice on where to stay, even from afar.

- Payout Confidence: for hosts, knowing that you will get paid regularly is very re-assuring.

- Deposit Freedom: for guests, knowing that you don't need months' worth of deposit up-front plus rental fees makes renting more affordable and attainable

Airbnb could be a progressive 'new' entity in the longer-term rentals market in London and this would off-set any loss that they will incur due to having to enforce the 90-night rule on shorter-term lettings.

Having changed my bookings parameters to allow only stays of 90+ nights (to comply with London regulations) I now need Airbnb to help by promoting that option so that I actually receive some bookings! Are you in the same position? Please comment and gives 'thumbs-up' if you agree...

Thanks

Daniel

P.S. "Stay Longer in London" / "Linger Longer in London" / "Love London Longer" / "Live London Longer"

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

No Security Deposit

Trash the place, cancel your payment.

Stay longer for free

No contract and it will take the Landlord a long time to evict you.

Want you rent back?

Make up some complaints and AirBnB will give you your money back!

David

Hi David

Were your comments in response to my post?

If so, I don't quite understand your points...

"No Security Deposit" - what do you mean? I have a very high security deposit set for my listing in case of damage. It's up to the individual host to set a security deposit to a level that they are comfortable with. Any guest booking is by definition agreeing to the terms/conditions/details of the Airbnb contract. Hosts are also somewhat protected by the hosts guarantee. I have never had to make a claim on the security deposit.

"Trash the place, cancel your payment" - guests on long-term bookings can't cancel their payments, it's automatic fron their credit card on a month-by-month basis with the first month paid in advance, and hosts are alerted immediately if there's an issue with taking subsequent payments. Trashing of places can (and does) happen with short or long-term lets, whether through Airbnb, other platforms or the traditional private rental market. Personally, I have heard of this type of unfortunate event occuring much more within the private rental market. Within my circle of friends who are Airbnb hosts, I have never heard of a place being trashed.

"No contract and it will take the Landlord a long time to evict you." - Each guest, when they book, is agreeing to a contract. This is legally binding. For long-term bookings (by Airbnb definition is 28 nights and longer), the contract is different. Why would eviction time be any different than with a 'traditional' private rental if you were having serious problems?

"Want you (sic) rent back? / Make up some complaints and AirBnB will give you your money back!" (I'm assuming that these two comments are supposed to be linked) - I don't think Airbnb are in the habit of giving guests their money back willy-nilly. A guest would have to prove with evidence that something is very wrong to warrant receiving any refund. As a host, it is your responsibility to present your property as advertised and to highlight any pre-existing faults, damage etc. I always take photos of my property on the check-in day to have a record of the condition/presentation on the date the reservation begins. It's a precaution that I take just in case something arises during a guests' stay.

++ A good idea is to have log-book where guests can record damage / faults / areas for improvement etc. and where the host can follow up by saying what action they have taken to remedy these points before the next guests move in. It really helps to prove that you are a responsible host. In my experience, there's usually not enough time during the check-out process (or sometimes a lack of inclination) for guests to either admit to / remember causing minor damage or breakage during a long-term stay. Even when the host specifically asks 'were there any problems? / is anything broken?' (because there is never enough time to physically go around the entire property and check-off an inventory, you end up relying on their immediate response only to discover minor things like broken glasses later...) Of course, major problems should be immediately evident when you do walk-hough of the property with the guest before they leave.

++ A good idea when you have long-term guests is to be in contact with them on a regular basis throughout their stay. I try to do this with 'Facetime' / a video call of some kind to make it more personal and to also give you a view into the property that you are letting. If you warn your guests that you will be in touch regularly, it won't come as a surprise to them or an invasion of their privacy. It's also re-assuring for your guests to know that they can be in direct contact with the host if needed. I 'train' my guests with this approach IN ADVANCE of their stay by initiating some conversation with Whatsapp or Facetime... I find it really helps. Video calling is also a great way to resolve any practical issues such as: "how do you adjust the heating controls?" - so much easier to do this 'live' with a moving image of the central heating boiler than try to explain by text or email...

++ Another good idea is to have your guest sign a pre-prepared document at the start of their stay which declares that they agree that the property is presented as advertised (could also be with an inventory of contents) and also have them sign another part of this same document upon departure to state that they have caused no damage (but that the host maintains the right to alert Airbnb to any subsequent found damage within the time-frame stipulated in the terms & conditions of the security deposit in order to make a claim).

In my experience, 'prevention is better than cure'. Therefore, as a responsible host, if you do everything you can to pre-empt potential problems, you stand a much better chance of avoiding them altogether. Also, by making things crystal clear in your listing / house rules / introduction message / initial correpondence etc. that you will not tolerate any nonsense, you send a message out that helps to eliminate the type of guest who might pose a problem. Of course, it is not fail-safe, and 'instant booking' does undermine this somewhat, but if we are comparing Airbnb with a 'traditional' rental agency as a platform for sourcing potential long-term guests, I would much rather have faith in Airbnb for all the reasons I have stated previously (robust reviews / verifications etc.).

++ Slightly off-topic, but related, is this issue of self-check-in and self-check-out (which is becoming essential for 'business-ready' listings). I'm 100% against it except where totally unavoidable, because it eliminates the possibility of doing an inspection of the property with the guest AND host present to check an inventory or to agree that the presentation of the property matches the listing (and for check-out to see if everything is ok before the guests depart). Also, it eliminates the possibility of meeting your guest which to me, seems totally against the entire ethos of Airbnb. How can you be reviewed for 'welcome' if there is no welcome?

Daniel

@Daniel-and-Marsio0 some sound advice there. I have only a limited amount of experience with this so far, but have found my long-term guests to be fantastic and actually much easier than long-term lodgers found through traditional means. For some reason, they seem to abide by the house rules better. The traditional tenants always agree to them beforehand but somehow many seem to think they can just ignore them after they move in, whereas the long-term Airbnb guests respect them more. I do make sure I have plenty of communication with them first though and don't use Instant Booking even for short-term guests.

I have luckily never needed to claim the deposit or use the host guarantee yet, so can't vouch for how well either work, but there are a lot of hosts on here complaining that they are almost worthless and I think that a lot of what @David126 is referring to is to do with that.

So far I have had a few minor breakages, all by short-term guests by the way. Nothing worth the hassle of putting in a claim.

Danny53
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

the whole thing is beyond a joke...
1 - in Barnet where I host the planning department , and I quote:
"has not yet formulated a policy of how to deal with these applications  - as it is somewhat of a grey area"

2 - there is nowhere to submit the planning consents on air bnb and the phone staff have no idea what to do with you if you discuus it with them - never mind you can never ever get the same person twice..

So you can't get the planning and there is no one to give ot to if you did...

It seems to me the whole thing is political / politically correct posturing on the part of air bnb...
Hosts! - We are not responsible for the housing shortage here or in any other city...
ancient planning laws and homeowners who want flats for their kids  (so long as they are not built in their back yards!) are the problem!
These are our properties - we are not drug dealers, why are we not being allowed to make a fair living by looking after our homes and our guests and at the same time offering a service that every city sorely needs:
for family holiday makers
for home rennovaters etc
buyers and sellers between moves
in short people who were never gonna rent on an AST in any event!!
It's tough to make a buck these days - such a shame they couldn't all just leave us alone don't you think...?

In the mid to long term it is also commercial suicide for air bnb by the way Lizzie...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Danny53 I also tried to find out my local council's policy on this, but they have zero information about it anywhere on their website. I don't want to contact them about it because everything I have ever contacted them about in the past eight years, from Council Tax to parking permits, has turned into an almost interminable nightmare! So, I just go on as normal until they make up their minds to supply some sort of information on their policy... Not sure what else I can do.

@Danny0. I was just about to post something similar. I live in Brent and no one on the council in any department that I have tried talking to has any idea what I am asking for and what Airbnb need supplied to remove this 90 day stupidity! Why is it down to us hosts, yet again, to find a solution to a problem that in my opinion never existed?? If the councils have a problem with housing and they truly think that us hosts are having an adverse effect on the market, why not leave it to the council to enforce these ancient rules that no one even knows or really cares about?? Yet another example of Airbnb meddling in something that they have not thought through prperly. Make a decision and let the hosts suffer the consequences! Again! Really exasperating! And why does no one at Airbnb actually know what these permissions required actually are? The council people I have spoken to have said that if I could tell them exactly what is required by Airbnb then they would have a look into it and see if they could help. But no one at Airbnb has actually said what is required??!! Such a mess....

Ronda4
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I wanted to add to this discussion, and on another similar thread, as I think that a lot of Hosts are confused about the reason why Airbnb has decided to apply and enforce a capping of 90 days to the letting of entire properties.

I think that the report commissioned by Airbnb is quite clear.

• Entire properties make up just over half of the home sharing market, whilst private rooms the other half.
  • Home sharing is becoming increasingly popular, but its share of the market and its scale across the capital remains relatively small, too small to be a significant contributor to the housing challenges that London faces.
  • The building of too few homes is the main reason for the capital’s housing crisis.
  • The prime concern and focus of politicians, policymakers and the public should be the longstanding drivers of that crisis, i.e. the undersupply of land, the complexity of the planning process, lack of investment and capacity challenges in construction.

So, if its impact is negligible, why is short term letting and home sharing causing such a fuss and why a 90-day cap across the board?

To look at this properly and in context you have to understand that before December 2015, when rules were relaxed, short term lets in London were not allowed at all.  If you were offering short-term lets of under 90 with Airbnb, or any other platform, in London before this time you were breaking planning law if you did not have planning permission.  I remember wanting to offer a room in my house for the duration of the Olympics but was told I would never get permission for this. 

Everyone seems to be ranting at Airbnb as though this is something the company has just created to be difficult, it isn’t.  As a responsible and successful company, Airbnb has offered a simple cost-effective hosting platform to thousands of people like you and me to be able to earn an income from their properties.  However, Airbnb, like any other company in the UK, must be seen to be doing the right thing and that is not actively encourage people to break the law. This is not a law drawn up or decided by Airbnb, these are laws set by local planning authorities in London and can be enforced.

London is not the only city that has a cap for short term rentals, but it is clear that the 90-day capping set by LPAs in London is wholly inadequate.  How can the short term letting of a room in a house, 50% of all Airbnb listings, contribute to the crisis in London? Also, why is a total of 90 days per year the magic number to determine whether a property is being let commercially?  Why is there a blanket rule for all properties, owner occupier, entire or vacant properties?  Why is this a blanket figure across the whole of London when some local authorities have hit their target of providing new homes?  I am not one for conspiracy theories but I suspect that the large hotel groups and others with vested interest, worried about the rise in home sharing, could have been lobbying the government for some time.

My view is that instead of ranting at Airbnb, who could risk their entire business in London if they hadn’t acted as they have, start a lobbying group, or a petition with a view to changing what is an unworkable and unacceptable capping.  Write to your MPs, leader of your local authority, Whatchdog, media, social media and anything else you can think of.  A collective voice has more power. 

As for Airbnb - my view is clear, don’t bite the hand that feeds you!

Roberta137
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out. 

I would like to ask permission to extend the 90 days limit as I will be away for most of the year and I would like to sublet my entire place for more than 90 days. I have been told by air bnb that I have to ask permission to my local authority. 

I rang the local authority ( which I believe would be Hackney Council ) but no one there seems to be aware of the limit or even seems to know what airbnb is.

They told me there are not able to help me with it and I don't know what to do.

I tried ringing air bnb several times and althought I rang the London office, someone in their Florida office answered my call.

I tried calling again and the same thing happened.

I was hoping someone could help me out with it.

Many thanks!

Roberta

Ronda4
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Roberta137

I think you may have misunderstood.  You only need planning permission if you want to let your property for periods of time UNDER 90 days i.e. known as short lets.  You do not have to seek planning consent if the rental period is more than 90 days.

Good luck.

Nicholas-and-Michele0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

People might be interested in this article. This was one of the first Airbnb flats to apply to Southwark Council for a change of use to allow short terms rentals and it has been refused.

Ray Lewis – owner of a flat in Telford House in Tiverton Street on the Rockingham Estate – applied to Southwark Council for temporary change of use from class C3 (flat) to class C1 (short-term accommodation) for the next five years.

Council officers have now refused planning permission on the grounds that "the proposal will result in the loss of a housing unit of which there is a significant need for in the borough," in breach of policies in the Southwark Plan.

This means that it is likely to mean getting planning for short term letting in Southwark will perhaps be impossible, read it here. I will imagine this policy will also extend to most other boroughs. 

Katie151
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Anyone know how to join a host meetup in London.  I am in SW6 and a newbee.  Also, . I am looking for someone near me on Fulham road and we could help each other out re check ins etc.

would be great to meet other host in London and share stuff. Katie

Kiyan-and-Chiara0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone!

Kiyan here - host in Canary Wharf for 2 years+ now.

Does anyone know where we need to submit authorisation to the Airbnb team? I have received authorisation to be able to list my flat for more than 90 days in London but Airbnb's social media and support have not responded to my multiple tweets, facebook posts and emails the past 3 weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best,

Kiyan

@Kiyan

Why dont you give them a call? 02033181111

If they can't answer your question they will get back to you.  Can I ask which borough authorised the change of use and how this was authorised, under delegated powers or full planning consent?