New Cancellation Policy

May49
Level 1
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

New Cancellation Policy

I have always set my Cancellation Policy to STRICT. and recently I have a cancallation less than 5 days and I saw that my guest still get 50% refund. 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies?host_facing=true#strict 

Then I checked the Cancellation Policy page, it still says "Strict: 50% refund up until 1 week prior to arrival" 

Then I checked the Cancellation options on Manage Listing, it still says " 50% refund up until 1 week prior to arrival" 

And then I called Airbnb to see if it is a mistake, the feedback I got from call center is that this is a new policy and guest would get a 50% refund within 30 days of arrival. And I have "agreed" on the terms and condition. 

I was like, "What the ....??". If the policies have been modified, why is it not on the Cancellation Policy page, and why is it not on the Manage Listing page ? and only in terms and condition ???

First not to mention Airbnb is taking away the hosts' option of higher protection. I just find this very tricky and misleading that the Cancellation Policy page was not updated on the Website. 

1 Reply 1
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@May49

Airbnb is constantly changing without notifing hosts about it. Or they notify us after a month or so in their "monthly letter" . And they are constantly "improving" by giving guests more and more rights....  at the account of hosts. 

What they don't understand is - when you give to much rights to one group of people and you take away those rights from other group of people then the first group will abuse it and act unresponsably. This is not healthy relationship and it doesn't end up well. 

For example I get tired of so many cancellations on Booking com and I deleted my account there. Now I see ABB is heading the same way. There was a post from few days ago where they were pushing a host to give a refund to guests who canceled even though he has a strict policy , then another post about increasing cancellations.... so I am not surprised with what you are saying.

Airbnb will do whatever they want, and we can dance as they play or quit. I have flexible policy just because I don't want to be upset, listen someones fake extenuating circumstances reasons and other lies ... If someone wants to cancel he is free to do it and I just use those days to rest and do my things. If it will become to often I can still rent my place on the monthly bases and forget about hosting all together. I wouldn't be the first one to do it.