New Discrimination Policy

Liam9
Level 3
New York, NY

New Discrimination Policy

On Airbnb's new descrimination policy, Bloomberg reported the following: 

Hosts will be prevented from listing a unit on the same day if they previously told a prospective guest that the property was unavailable, a step aimed at discouraging them from unfairly vetting customers. Airbnb will also urge hosts to let guests to book a unit without being screened, through a new feature called Instant Book.

I disagree with this policy.  I rent an entire home in a beach town. I will often deny party's because of lack of referrals - I don't want a new customer to come and throw a party at the house.  This is an issue for places like beach towns. I had one prospective guest that had no referrals, whose photo was just a "Play Like a Champion" banner. I don't want to rent my house to someone like that. That's not descrimination, that's common sense. Now I'd be denied from having my place available for those days?  I care about referrals, and that is something Airbnb does not let you vet by. 

Liam

63 Replies 63
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am stunned, frankly.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Airbnb wants to force me to accept anyone who comes along... but they haven't updated their software to require guests to have a complete profile before booking (picture of their face, a bio, maybe a reference if not a review...). That is unsafe and unwelcome and I will not do business with them on those terms.

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Sandra0

Dear Airbnb community,
At the heart of our mission is the idea that people are fundamentally good and every community is a place where you can belong. We don’t say this because it sounds nice. It’s the goal that everyone at Airbnb works towards every day – because we’ve all seen how when we live together, we better understand each other.
Discrimination is the opposite of belonging, and its existence on our platform jeopardizes this core mission. Bias and discrimination have no place on Airbnb, and we have zero tolerance for them. Unfortunately, we have been slow to address these problems, and for this I am sorry. I take responsibility for any pain or frustration this has caused members of our community. We will not only make this right; we will work to set an example that other companies can follow.
In June, we asked Laura Murphy, the former head of the American Civil Liberties Union’s Washington D.C. Legislative Office, to review every aspect of the Airbnb platform, and to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to fight bias and discrimination. Thanks to Laura’s leadership, today we’re releasing a report that outlines the results of that process. You can read the full report here, but I’d like to highlight four changes that will impact the way our platform works:
Airbnb Community Commitment
Beginning November 1, everyone who uses Airbnb must agree to a stronger, more detailed nondiscrimination policy. We aren’t just asking you to check a box associated with a long legal document. We’re asking everyone to agree to something we’re calling the Airbnb Community Commitment, which says:
We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community. By joining this community, you commit to treat all fellow members of this community, regardless of race, religion, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age, with respect, and without judgment or bias.
Open Doors
We’ll be implementing a new policy called Open Doors. Starting October 1st, if a Guest anywhere in the world feels like they have been discriminated against in violation of our policy – in trying to book a listing, having a booking canceled, or in any other interaction with a host – we will find that Guest a similar place to stay if one is available on Airbnb, or if not, we will find them an alternative accommodation elsewhere. This program will also apply retroactively to any Guest who reported discrimination prior to today. All of these Guests will be offered booking assistance for their next trip.
Instant Book
We’ll increase the availability of Instant Book, which allows our hosts to offer their homes to be booked immediately without their prior approval of a specific guest. Instant Book makes booking easier for everyone, and our goal is to have 1 million listings bookable via Instant Book by January 1st, 2017.
Anti-bias training
We are working with experts on bias, including Dr. Robert Livingston of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and Dr. Peter Glick of Lawrence University, to make anti-bias training available to our community, and will be publicly acknowledging those who complete it.
These steps are just the beginning, not the end, of our efforts to combat bias and discrimination.
While we as a company have been slow on this issue, I am now asking you the community to help us lead the way forward. Every time you make someone else feel like they belong, that person feels accepted and safe to be themselves. While this may sound like a small act of kindness, we are a community of millions of people strong. Imagine what we can do together.
Brian Chesky
CEO, Co-founder
Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

"Starting October 1st, if a Guest anywhere in the world feels like they have been discriminated against in violation of our policy – in trying to book a listing, having a booking canceled, or in any other interaction with a host – we will find that Guest a similar place to stay if one is available on Airbnb, or if not, we will find them an alternative accommodation elsewhere. This program will also apply retroactively to any Guest who reported discrimination prior to today. All of these Guests will be offered booking assistance for their next trip."

Hmmm.... I hope that Airbnb is prepared to honour a raft of free-accommodation seekers.  Seriously, how is that provable?

Anti-bias training?  Is this only in the US for Americans?  Where are the hosts rights in all of this?

disgusting pretentious **bleep** whom has broken EVERY CITY STATE and FEDERAL law and destroyed many rental markets Like Santa Monica and San Francisco ... or spends THOUSANDS trying to CIRCUMVENT LAWS.... Th\is douchebags of a company has destroyed the housing market by not vetting criminal land owners or despicable guests... While claiming theoir a ROOM SHARE COMPANY, while taking huge blocks of LONG TERM RENTALS for illegal greedy landlords whom it SERVES, many ironically not even CITIZENS.  

Then they had the audacity to BRAG to the City of San Francisco IN billboard ad's....  how much money it generated in TAXES IT WAS FORCED TO PAY, not VOLUNTARILY paid.... yes THEY BRAGGED ABOUT RAISING FUNDS THEY TRIED TO AVOID... then WERE FORCED TO PAY AFTER IT WAS DETERMINED THAT WERE BREAKING LAWS, and AVOIDING SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES TO COMMUNITIES in which IT ABUSES... after spending tens of thousands of dollors of our COMMISSION money, to create competition against us... while favoring LAW BREAKERS, who have taken whole housing units off the market cause CEO has NO PROBLEM breaking laws he choses, while forcing you to OBEY his UNDER THREAT....

Those cities should have forced them to accept the terms of LEGAL HOUSING RENTALS based on LAW !!!! or BLOCK THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marti-and-John0
Level 1
New Braunfels, TX

Obviously, no one who is upset really read the policy. It DOES NOT reference denying guests that do not fit within accommodation boundaries established by the host...no pets, no parties, maximum number of occupants, etc. The new policy DOES attempt to remedy the MAJOR problem that Airbnb guests ARE BEING DISCRIMINATED because of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. 

A white female posts her profile and gets accepted everywhere. She changes the picture to include her black or Mulsim boyfriend and gets rejected, everywhere. She changes her profile again to include her and her wife, again, no takers. And yes, a new host even asked on the Airbnb forum if she could not accept a couple because they weren't married?? Seriously ?? 

Maybe we all should breathe and try to understand the problem that Brian and his team are attempting to resolve. I applaude them for their efforts. I am signing on and joining the NEW and IMPROVED AIRBNB. 

Marti **

SuperHost

Texas

The new policy asks all members to agree to the following - 

"We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community. By joining this community, you commit to treat all fellow members of this community, regardless of race, religion, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age, with respect, and without judgment or bias."

Marti and John

I did take the time to read the entire message AND the report. It is clear that no pets, smoking, too many people, handicap access, etc are all situations that a host can make known that are either unacceptable (no pets and no smoking, more people than) or leave it to the guest to decide in the case of accessibility.

I completely agree with not discriminating against people because of race, gender, religion, etc. I have no problem with making a profile photo smaller and bringing other information forward. What I have a problem with is Instant Booking and the obvious bias in favor of guests and against hosts. This is not a hotel service. This is home SHARING. AirBnB seems to be taking away the opportunity to ask questions and know more about those people who would be sharing our homes. What a guest posts on their profile is only part of the story. AirBnB has made several changes which go beyond non-discrimination policies, in my opinion, and are trying to expedite booking. It is cloaked as adhering to the law and making the world a better place, but buried in that rhetoric are policies that are clearly not favorable to hosts. And it's hosts that make all of this possible.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I heard about this from a guest this morning, who did get an e-mail about the policy change, whereas I as a host did not. (And I went through all spam/junk mail to double-check).   In addition they bothered to do a press release to lots of media organizations, few of which have any kind of understanding of the way AirBnB works.

Anyway to the guest who asked I just said "Well it's good that AirBnB is making efforts to improve."  

( LOL.   You can't really say anything else, because, youknow, racism.  Anythign other than loud applause makes you sound like a racist.. )

The thing is, some things make sense and are actually improvements, such as highlighting reviews over profile pictures, and taking hosts through a diversity pitch and make them specifically agree to not being racist idiots.   But the two biggies are

* Forcing Instant Book

* Blocking dates when declining a request. 

(Ironically, those two things don't make sense together.. Which of course all newmedia missed: if you have forced instant-book then there's also nothing to decline..  I really wish I got that email from AirBnB so I could find out myself what's going on..)

Personally I've never declined ANY booking for any reason other than when the guest messed up the dates, or put in fake dates just so they could get an inquiry in.   I'd lose those fake dates for actual bookings when declining that inquiry.

What a chaotic mess, and ESPECIALLY the way this is dumped on top of hosts. 

If anyone asks though, I'll just say "it's a very brave business decision on the part of AirBnB."   Which is actually true, because it could very well be a watershed 'jump the shark' moment, especially for the model where hosts share space in their own homes.   

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Tina87     I have come back to your very useful post about anti-discrimination and have two points to make as November 1st draws near with the new agreement that hosts will have to accept:

1.  I was looking at Laura Murphy's report 'Airbnb's Work to Fight Discrimination and Build Inclusion'.  While I support Airbnb's efforts to combat discrimination, I also share hosts' concerns about their ability to provide suitable accommodation relating to disability and age.  In one place, the report quotes The Airbnb Community Commitment, which we will have to agree to on November 1st, and this includes age.  However, in Appendix One; The Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy, Airbnb makes no mention of 'age'.  An interesting inconsistency: the Commitment statement does not conform to Policy.

2. It has occurred to me that in the push to achieve more instant booking listings, Airbnb are possibly acting against their own nondiscrimination policy on disability and age: they are removing the opportunity for potential guests with a disability or young children to question the host about the suitability of the listing.  Does anyone else think this discriminates against the guest (as well as the host)?

Race religion sexual orientation --not a problem. However, you forgot to include disabilities. That Is a challenge that most hosts are not equipted to deal with--
Sailboats, Windmills, log cabins, RV's, Castles and igloos- Airbnbs own little logos can't all be accessible to to people with physical disabilities, right? Isn't that discrimination?
Age discrimination as defind by this letter means any age-- which means if two 18 year olds want to rent your place they can-- lest they feel discriminated against. I don't want that kind of liability.
You should read that letter again. "Any guest who feels discriminated against" is pretty open- ended.
Also, part 3 of the issue is the instant book requirement --which essentially takes away any autonomy.
No discrimination means a single female or a mom with kids must accept men as guests when now they are able to decline because of personal comfort levels. Are we supposed to let that slide in the name of sensibility and common decency? Where do the exceptions start and end?

Yes, Marti, you should take a breathe and try to understand that no one in this thread is denying that racism exists and there are bad hosts out there. We simply want to retain control of who stays in our homes. Airbnb should find the means of preventing bad hosts, without restricting our ability to deny people for any number of reasons for which we choose to deny them. Just in this thread there are a number of reasons that have nothing to do with race/sex/religion.

Also, hosting a private room is much different from renting an entire home. The risks are greater.  You must really trust the guests as you're no longer in control once you hand the keys over.  I'm happy I've had the ability to vet people like one I mentioned in my original post.

WOW.... her muslim boyfriend ???  how does one even tell a muslim from a picture  ???  

]

i WONDER IF "RELIGIOUS " SOCIETIES LIKE  ( the muslim ones you CHOOSE TO SPECIFICALLY MENTION) like SAUDI ARABIA. got the memo ???  ... I mean, with  Women driving cars, sight seeing dogs and all those infidels and their liquor and "unacceptable dressing habits of western women". Worst abiusers of human rights, are they using Air BnB ?

What if her jewish boyfriend was in the picture ? and wanted to rent a palace in Medina ?

I hope you see the point, in which YOUR SPECIFIC comment,  raised...  anti discrimination under threat, not a great business model.  

Raquel49
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I agree! I live in Atlanta and I am young myself, so I definitely get it. I've noticed a pattern with guests. Young guests that live in Atlanta usually book to party and every guest is not honest about that! Sometimes your place isn't available according their intentions!
Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

I took away that hosts cannot discriminate because of how a person and that all people need to treat each other with respect. It doesn't say that hosts have to accept guests who will be unable to climb a stairway. The implication is that we will continue interacting with people who aren't a good fit in a civil and courteous way. Hopefully this is right. 🙂
Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

"It doesn't say that hosts have to accept guests who will be unable to climb a stairway."

No, that's exactly what is says. 🙂   To be honest, under all this racism snowfall, the real scocher seems to be guests with disabilities.

Because the new terms state (I'm cherry picking just a few here, there are more) : 

AirBnB hosts may not: 

● Decline a guest based on any actual or perceived disability.

● Substitute their own judgment about whether a unit meets the
needs of a guest with a disability for that of the prospective guest.

● Inquire about the existence or severity of a guest’s disability, or the
means used to accommodate any disability. If, however, a potential
guest raises his or her disability, a host may, and should, discuss
with the potential guest whether the listing meets the potential
guest’s needs.

● Refuse to provide reasonable accommodations, including flexibility
when guests with disabilities request modest changes in your house
rules, such as bringing an assistance animal that is necessary
because of the disability, or using an available parking space near
the unit. 

Especially for people in the USA, now may be the time to review that  'Accessible' checkbox in your listing. (While it still exists..)