New Inquiries

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

New Inquiries

Tis the season for odd and cheap inquiries:

"Is it possible to call me so I can go a head and pay for the room for 3 nights? I have only few questions about the room. Moreover, I am allergist to cats, I want sheets clean from cat's hair and I want to know if the cats will be freely walking in the house and even to my room?"

DECLINED- The cat was here first and I've been down that road before. The guest stays and wants a refund at the end because they saw cat hair.

"hey. if you can do 140 a night for my 7 day stay I'll book your place today."

DECLINED- The rate is as stated. Hosts shouldn't be asked to pay for their guests vacation. Its insulting.

"Can you give me a discount for these two days?"

DECLINED- The rate is as stated. Total is only $89 bucks. Come on people!

On the flipside I've approved the other 32 reasonable requests to book and stay with me.

55 Replies 55

Just providing some cultural context here. I posted 2 questions in Airbnb India FB Group asking if they are okay hosting guests who request (not demand) for a discount and if they find that disrespectful and if they have ever requested for a discount while traveling as a guest. 

Here are some of the comments, hope it helps some of you to widen your perspective of the world and become more smart and welcoming 🙂

Plus to add, by offering a discount, obviously we aren't incuring losses here or doing charity. It is just about not missing an opportunity to get a booking by playing smart and reaching a settlement that keeps both the host and the guest satisfied. I was under the assumptiont that this was simple business logic but looks like it's not that common.

ScreenShot2017-03-31at12.49.50AM.jpg

I have hosted a few Indians and none of them asked for discount. A few young men in the shared room and a  family of grandmother, 2 daughters and small granddaughter asked for my tiny 3 persons maximum atelier, over a couple of weeks in winter to reunite the family between India, France and England. I granted that and offered the child at half price, because the communication was good and they convinced me, they could handle the tiny space. They never asked for the discount. That worked great and we exchanged food, what I had left frozen for late arrival against a wonderful spicy rice dish left frozen for me. 

That's awesome 🙂

I'm sorry @Jeet0, but I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this last post...

This is a quote from you: Here are some of the comments, hope it helps some of you to widen your perspective of the world and become more smart and welcoming 🙂

Are you saying that in order to be smart and welcoming one have to accept negotiating? I have tried to explain this from both sides, it's about different cultures and one have to adjust to the culture one wants to visit. But now I'm starting to feel a bit insulted... Many of the hosts posting in here has glowing reviews about their hospitability and welcoming. And they do not accept negotiating. This as a result of hundreds of years of culture in their/mine part of the world.

I am more than welcoming myself to new guests. I love to learn about different ways of living. But I have 36 years of experience in frowning upon haggling. My parents more, and my grandparents, that even hosted themself, had their worst experience ever hosting after a haggle. This is my culture, this is my school about politeness. It doesn't make it the right one. But it most certainly does not make your the right one either!

I had my mind set on not accepting negotiation. I see, that for me and my situation, this debate has just made me even more sure that I can not accept it.

Mariann

Hey, I'm just trying to say that negotiations are a part of doing business. Please don't confuse this with compromise. And negotiations can be done in a polite manner too to ensure both hosts and gets are satisfied. That's all. 

But you don't accept that the ways of doing business is different in parts of the world. That what is considered normal for you is insulting for others. You claim that your way is the right way. And the rest of us have to do it your way.

I won't take it.

Mariann

I get it. Sorry 😞

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mariann4 @Jeet0

Absolutely spot on Mariann!

I have never seen or heard of the guest who haggled for a discount that turned out to be a great guest to host. 

Throughout my life I have found that people who haggle are used to getting their own way....they always try to use every situation to their advantage! They always like to have the upper hand.

Now maybe it is different in India, cultures do vary, but in western society the 'haggler' is something to be dreaded by just about every person who runs any sort of business!

Cheers.....Rob

ps: How are things in the mountains Mariann? 😉

Just peachy, @Robin4 🙂

Viser 20170328_181927.jpg

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mariann4

Jeg skulle ønske at jpg hadde kommet gjennom! ville elske å ha sett hva du ser på

Cheers.....Rob

Bram8
Level 2
Antwerp, Belgium

I am new to AirBNB. I am hosting my apartment(s) only for 1.5 months. I don't live in those apartments. I have learned a lot:

1) To avoid frequent cleanings I had 2 mights min stay. Guests would book for 2 nights, tell me that they will stay only 1 night and ask fo a refund. If I decline they would leave a neutral review and low stars(3 or 4)! To avoid this I put my min stay back to 1 night 😞

2) Many people try to negotiate the cleaning fee. I felt insulted. They can't negotiate their train or plane tickets, but squeezing a woman is easy(I have 3 small kids and I wipe, clean, wash EVERYTHING after each guest). If I would decline and they book my place they still leave low stars(especially for cleaning). As a workaround I removed the cleaning fee and raised slightly my prices.

3) It is hard to please women only groups, no matter what you do. The younger the worse. They are princesses thinking they stay in Royal Palace of Belgium. They would keep you waiting for hours and not apologize for being late. If I am late by 5 min they complain to AirBNB. For 90% they will leave a bad review or good review with low stars(including for cleanliness, I don't think they can find a cleaner place than mine).

4) I learned that I should instantly decline any negotiating guests. They find my place is not worth the price they will leave low stars(guaranteed).

5) Men, men groups or couples where the man is booking are ok. They are thankful and leave positive reviews.

6) Single women are ok.

7) Couples where the woman books I expect 4 or 3 stars, women groups are a nightmare. Communication is hard(too demanding, bossy and resentful). They abuse the review system for resent.

Do I risk AirBNB closing my account for discrimination?