New York State Anti Home Sharing Law

Christine9
Level 2
Saratoga Springs, NY

New York State Anti Home Sharing Law

I am a very successful Host here is Upstate NY.  I do have friends that are Host's is Florida.  I see there is a state tax on bookings in Florida.  There are no state taxes added to us here in NY...Upstate anyway.  

That said... with the NYS Anti Home Sharing Law coming very close to being passed here in Albany I'd like to just put this out there because I am pretty pissed !

1.  Assembly Woman  Linda Rosenthal stated " Time and time again, Airbnb has proved that it is unwilling to work with us to bring it's operations to COMPLIANCE "...  Why Airbnb are you now coming to your Host's and asking them to beg the Legislature to not pass this bill.   NYS wants $$$$$     GIVE IT TO THEM !!!!

2.  Airbnb has everything tied up in their operations ...to a "T"...I find the company is very organized and well run. But, being a hard working Super Host, I do not need this type of stress.

If this passes and I loose my business, you can be sure I will sue Airbnb !

Christine

38 Replies 38

Hey there!

Did you receive any advice on this? I have the same issue. How do we get a definitive answer??

Your listing should be fine...

Home-Sharing

Here updated facts:

1) You not a hotel / NO occupancy tax:

- for Home-Sharing.

- Up to 2 paying guests in YOUR unit

- You need to be present in your unit during hosting (you cant be on vacation during hosting paying guests)

2) EVERYTHING else (entire apartments and/or more than 2 guests) is a "hotel", regardless of 1 and 2 fam. houses or big buildings.

The catch is not really the occupancy tax and/or "multiple dwelling law". The real problem are code violations, such as no sprinklers and everything else what would apply for a regular hotel-building in NYC.

As of a already passed bill, beginning 2019 all websites are in need to release all host information. and the city will start to go after all "illegal hotels" with code violations.

Khadeejah0
Level 2
New York, NY

Hello everyone,

Regarding a multiple dwelling unit, could someone please clarify if entire home rentals should be set at a 30- day minimum or maximum? I was told over the phone that I had to set all my listings to 30-day maximums. I have also already read the NYC regulation details and would like clarification on this.

Thanks,

Khadeejah

it is in fact not legal to host in a two family home in NYC due to fire codes. A two family home is two Class A apartments and therefore zoned for permanent residential use only. Transient use for less than 30 days requires a home have sprinklers and alarms and CO that permits transient use which doesn't exist. Therefore the city is giving out violations 

Tatiana Cames

On two family homes as well. While there maybe an argument for vagueness, they are still able to enforce the law in two family homes as well as I have learned recently ! 

Tatiana Cames

Is there anything we can do if we recieved violations for 1 or 2 family homes in Class A?

Ron45
Level 2
Desert Hot Springs, CA

If I rent out my Timeshare in NYC on Airbnb does the "New York State Anti Home Sharing Law" apply? I don't think it does.

Marilyn114
Level 2
Hackensack, NJ

There is no tax in NJ. My condo is for sale in Hackensack, NJ

Isaac70
Level 1
New York, NY

I'm wondering about renting a whole apartment or just rooms in an apartment if no one lives there.? The apartment is in upstate NY and there are more then 3 apartments in the multifamily complex.