New guest without any reviews...

Lisa278
Level 1
Austin, TX

New guest without any reviews...

I am a host and have received a booking request. The guest does not have any reviews. His email and phone is verified. How do I protect my property in a situation like this?

Thank you

L.

8 Replies 8
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Accepting someone with a review will not protect your property.

David
Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Everyone has to start somewhere.  When you first stating hosting, the first guest took you on trust - you had no reviews - and they booked with you anyway.  I have hosted many guests who were first time users of airbnb and have had no problems.  Of course the decision is yours but you are making the assumption that no reviews equates to a problem guest.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lisa278

Half my guests are first timers - there is no pattern to show that they are more problem guests than those with reviews - more to the contrary.  Those who had a party, Sally the scammer and those who left a mess were all guests with positive reviews.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't but you can minimise risk

1. Only take fully verified guests

2. Ask your guest about themselves and their plans for their trips

3. Ask for full names of all those booking (some hosts check them out on social media)

So far the majority of my guests had no reviews and although I have had a few niggles - apart from my very first, absolutely horrible guest - all have been lovely.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Lisa278,

Reviews aren't of much help: these days, more and more guests are new to Airbnb and have no reviews, and don't fill out their profile with extra info either. it all points towards Airbnb facilitating easy booking for people, and we hosts have to adjust. I have seen it numerous times actually that some hosts complain here in the forum about certain guests, but then turn around and leave positive reviews for that guest. So I don't pay much attention to all of that, I judge for myself how easy a guest is to communiucate with, how forthcoming they are with informationm, etc. So before they arrive I have a fairly good idea, and that gives me peace of mind.

You have high security deposits in place, that seems as good a protection as you can get!

two more suggestions:

1.) Not sure you are there personally  in Panama City to welcome your guests. If not, I would think it's vitally important to  have a manager or trusted friend there to keep tabs on everything. Maybe also have a print out of the rules posted at each place, highly visible:  People will just not read all the details in the booking package they get, certainly  all the extra people they will be bringing in know nothing about that, and chances are, they won't care, they are on vacation....

2.) It worries me a bit that both of your places are advertised as for 16+ people. That could easily invite trouble. people who want to party might want to do that for just $256.00 a night, and have 20 people over there before you know it!

My gut feeling tells me I would limit it to 8 guests, and have each guest listed with name - if any potential guest wants to bring in more people, they can contact you and discuss it with you, beforehand. I bet you won't lose any bookings over narrowing it down, but you'll save yourself headaches down the road.

And now, good luck, your places look great!

Thank you for your advice. Are we allowed to ask for a copy of their driving lisence?

Sara206
Level 2
Denver, CO

I accept almost all guests who are first timer Airbnb users as long as they are verified and explain who is coming and they they are coming. I've not had any problems yet.
Penelope10
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Just tell them to fill out their verifications. We usually guide all our newbies request so they can still enjoy the experience of being part of the airbnb community. Your stuff, lock them in room, lock safe, leave them in your work office, or place them in a bank box.