New host. Nervous about current guests!

Dave45
Level 2
Saint John's, Canada

New host. Nervous about current guests!

First off, I didn't get a damage deposit, and I know it wasn't a smart thing to do. 😞

My current guests seem ok, I suppose.  I spoke to them a couple of times before they arrived and I met them when they showed up.  My neighbor last night texted me though, to say that there was a lot of hootin and hollerin going on.  I went down there this morning and told them that my neighbors have a baby and a toddler and to not have parties at my place (the Airbnb concept is obviously lost on them).  They seemed ok about it, but this is only Sunday and they have the placed booked until Friday!  

Any advice on how to proceed?  I hope I'm just ovvereacting here.  It would be very awkward to ask for a security deposit at this point, but if they have any more wild nights I'm pulling the plug.

If I do have to cancel any of their nights, how is the refund handled?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Listing looks pretty good Dave but a few of your photos could be cropped differently to show your place to its best advantage.

As to the security deposit, this is for damages that you wish to claim against. Hootin and hollerin probably does not count 🙂 You may want to add to your listing a note bout "quiet hours". Most Airbnb guests will be respectful of that.

Make sure you have a printed list of your house rules in the unit and go over them when guests arrive so that there is no misunderstanding later.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dave45

It's not possible to implement a security deposit retroactively.

You'll have to sweat this one out 😉

Anything you add to your house rules though, as far as I have learned, still have to be respected.

You might want to add something about loud noise if you think it's necessary. Or if only booked guests are allowed on the property and whether disregarding this would lead to immediate cancellation.

If they still cause you to be nervous, think of any other drama that could arise and adapt the HR accordingly.

In case your guests are still unruly message them on the message thread (important to keep a paper trail for Airbnb, possibly even refer to the first disruption too because Airbnb will use this communication as proof in case of any problems or complaints by guests).

And do know that this community forum is extremely wise reading to build host muscle. Hosting is not for the faint of heart!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dave45

And I forgot to add - make sure you have Airbnb on speed dial so you have it in case you need to contact to involve Airbnb because simply cancelling from your side has heavy penalties.

Type "contact Airbnb" in the community search box.

Dave45
Level 2
Saint John's, Canada

Thanks to you both!  Actually, after posting this, I checked out my guest's profile and he is verified (driver's license), email address, phone number and Facebook.  That gives me comfort for sure.

He's clear on the noise now.  I mentioned to him this morning in person.  All good I think.  🙂