New strict cancellation policy update

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New strict cancellation policy update

Hello everyone,

The Airbnb team heard feedback from you and the host community about the upcoming change to our Strict cancellation policy. In order to address your concerns, we’re delaying the change until May 1, 2018.

Before the change goes into effect, we’ll share more about what we’re doing to address your concerns, particularly around protecting your listing details from being shared with guests who cancel. But for now, we’d like to clear up some confusion and help you better understand the new policy and how it will benefit the whole community:

Here’s how the new grace period policy will work—and some of the protections we have in place for hosts:

Limited-time refund within 48 hours after booking when the check-in date is at least 14 days away

Guests must cancel within 48 hours after booking and can only cancel if their check-in date is 14+ days away. This means that no matter how far out your guests book, they only have 48 hours from the time they book to cancel for free. We want to make sure that if guests change their mind, you have enough time to get another booking.

Three refunds per year per guest

To prevent abuse, guests are limited to three fully refunded cancellations a year.

No full refunds for overlapping bookings

To make sure guests are not making multiple bookings and then cancelling, any booking made by a guest when they already have an active booking for those dates will not be covered under our grace period policy.

Your hosting success is top of mind for us, and tests of this policy—including among hosts with strict cancellation policies in place—strongly suggest the change will result in increased bookings and successful stays. With this grace period, not only do guests book with more confidence, but they also have the ability to resolve booking mistakes without requiring your valuable time and intervention.

We value your feedback, and will follow up shortly with more insight into how your ideas are shaping this policy.

Thanks,

Lizzie

----------Update April 24th, 2018----------

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know there is now an update regarding protecting your listing details, as mentioned above. 

Here is the link to take a look: An update on the Strict Cancellation Policy

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1,325 Replies 1,325
Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I contacted the Airbnb Superhost Hotline yesterday about the issue of guests cancelling after they already have my address and other details. I was told I can delete my address and other details such as security code from my listing so that guests will need to ask me for the information, giving me the option to release it when I decide to release it. If this is true it will solve the security problem for hosts. But since I get different answers (or no answers) every time I pose the question to somebody at Airbnb I don’t know what to believe.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mary167

It is not true with the current state of things, but there may be future plans.  VRBO/HomeAway has this feature of not releasing full info until closer to arrival.  

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I did actually go in and remove my house number from the place where Airbnb says they might want to send me a gift from time to time.  Now I just show the street.  Can’t find any other place it’s shown in my listing.

Bonnie112
Level 2
Clayton, NC

These are out places and our risk - I object to being forced to comply with Airbnb’s policy change - I wasn’t a fan of the limits before the change - the property owners should drive and agree to any change OR should be able to decline changes that don’t make sense for their business model - without property owners Airbnb doesn’t exist

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

@Tom-and-Christen0 Thanks for the clarification.  Unfortunate it didn't work for you.  Good thing you get significant portion of bookings through your website.  I am continually smh on this thread that people have all their eggs in one basket.  

We have 4-5 months for tourism so our model is fill the book.  Our views with VRBO are more than double several months in advance of the season because those guests are planning ahead and realize the better listings slowly dissapear.  ABB views tend to pick up 4-6 weeks before the actual arrival dates...which is pretty optimistic!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mary167

You would also need to remove any sensitive info in your house manual.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

We rented on a strict policy only in our absence, since long before airbnb existed. We need the « less then 30 days out - no refund at all », to arrange our own non-refundable tickets. When this condition was diluted last year, I switched to 28 days minimum stay, even if that is rather too long for my own trips.

It brought me a guest from hell, thousands of damage, not a dime refunded. 

This made me delete all listings but the shared room listing, which is on moderate for years. 

Had this not happened, I would have deleted them anyway the day I got the notification about the new « strict «  policy. 

14 days out cancellation with full refund mean I either have to buy very expensive tickets when the booking is finally firm or else risk having planned to accomodate a guest, who will not come and a potential replacement booking may not fit within my firm trip. 

If the stay is cancelled after arrival, I could not return to turn over the apartment nor check how it was left. (Not that it makes any difference anyway). 

50 % not refundable is not enough. I do not have 50% marge, so if a stay or part of a stay is cancelled, it means a loss. 

It’s a mute question for me now, but for the sake of argument: I could live with a 24h cool off period up to 31 days out. That still allows to book my trip and leaving a small profit from the booking. 

48h would drive me crazy, as I cannot stand people, who need to think 48h about anything but maybe a life changing decision. A trip? Come on. 48 minutes should be ample time. At the beginning, I would write to some guests, that airbnb is conceived to be easy, prices are lower, because it’s a fast and easy service. The prices do not include lenghty negociations and exploration of “what if ... “ I really do not want to be bothered with variations of ‘what if we come a day early, leave on Sunday, bring the mother-in-law ‘ etc. 

Secondly, travel tickets get more expensive every day. Mine and theirs. 

As for the information sent before the booking is firm, I think it’s a huge risk. As leaving sensible data in online data bases  is always a huge risk. Therefore I would never use functions like the house manual to communicate codes. I send the access information by message, wifi codes rarely at all (only if I know the guest may need it outside the door) and lock box codes by sms. I change lockbox and wifi codes after a stay where I had to send them. 

I tested it with the now deleted listing: you can set up a listing with the street only, no house number. In a city, that makes it impossible to find you. There is no check - it should work with the next street over as well. You should stay within the normal pin radius of the map to avoid misleading the guest. 

I think it’s rather absurd to offer all those “comfortable “ ways to communicate information and then transform them into a huge security risk. I prefer to be safe and work a bit more. 

Ursula16
Level 5
Victoria, Australia

Three cancellations per guest per year? How many of these really are "mistakes"? How can one guest be so foolish as to do this three times in a year - and then, without learning anything from their mistakes - make three more "mistakes" the next year?

One  mistake per year.

Robert634
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

14 days is too close to the actual booked day.  4 weeks is more reasonable and gives it more leeway for re-booking, if a cancellation does happen.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Lizzie Thank you for all those precious informations but i believe 48hours for free guests cancellation is way too much. 24hours is enough in my opinion!

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

I agree with a grace period of say 24 hours which is standard for airlines and ither large engines. I cannot rerent my house 13 days prior so full refund there sucks. @Lizzie

I've been following along with this discussion thread ever since @Lizzie posted the announcement about the delayed roll-out. 

The more I think about the proposed changes to the Strict Cancellation policy (what would work and what would be a major hindrance), the more and more I come right back to where we started: the original Strict Cancellation Policy--without a grace period. For my family, that original Strict policy is what works for us and it is precisely what allowed us to even conceive of listing our home in the first place. We likely would not have joined the Airbnb Community as hosts had this option not been available to us.

I can't get around it, forcing hosts to adopt a grace period despite their objections just feels like a a significant game changer and I sincerely hope Airbnb will accommodate this valid perspective. If the platform wants to offer a grace period, I just have my fingers crossed that it will be made optional AND that the grace period will be dialed back so far from the 14 day window so that it can't possibly meddle with a host's ability to secure a booking/rebook. At this time, I would be hard pressed to operate withing the 48 hr/14 day window for all the reasons I have explained in a previous post. Let's not forget, if a guest is not comfortable with a listings cancellation policy then they can simply choose another listing.

For those hosts who can make a grace period work (especially on a near-term timeframe), more power to them. For those of us who can't (or who can't make it work at this time) I can only hope that there isn't a penatly lurking for us. This rumor of slapping a steeper host fee on any host that adopts a Strict policy? That would be stacking a penalty on top of an already disadvantaged listing. Choosing a Strict policy already comes with a cost to hosts: fewer bookings. Oviously, many prospective guests choose to rule out listings with a Strict Cancellation policy; AND Airbnb has also just disqualified Strict listings from being marketed as business-traveler ready. Those of us who chose the Strict policy know there is a disadvantage and we still chose Strict because it has been the fit we need. Hosts who fall in this category are likely to agree: we don't want MORE bookings...we want the right ones and we've been willing to "pay" for it with a smaller pool of prospective guests (who are searching in earnest).

I'm eager to see how Airbnb will build our collective host concerns into this process.  Thanks @Lizzie for moderating and keeping us all updated.

Cheers--

@Lizzie why are you allowing personal information, includding full names, phone numbers, address, key pick up information to guests who can now cancel penalty free? This puts a target on hosts backs and severely puts people's lives in danger. If you want to have a grace period, no information should be share until after this graces period is over. Stop lying and saying this is a good thing for hosts: this is a good thing for customers as you try to turn all hosts into an amalgamous hotel provider and a good thing for airbnb in reducing customer service load. 

For some reason, I feel like this needs to be said.... 

There needs to be a little thoughtfulness for the hosts who are up in arms about information going out to guests when the guest still has the opportunity to cancel.  Well, the guest has always been able to cancel - the difference is the amount of a refund they may receive.  When they reliquished 50% of a cancelled reservation, that guest still had your information. If you are saying that the fact that the person does not have a penalty will somehow make their actions different, I would disagree.  Moderate and Flexible policies have always had this liability because the guest gets 100% back of their accommodation fees (until 6 days before the start on Moderate). They rolled out the 48 grace period for these policies a while ago and that hasn't really changed things other than an uptick of cancellations. Heck, after 3 years of hosting over 400 guests, there are a heck of alot of people who know where my listing is located, what's available to steal in our home, the way the alarm system works, and even the Wifi and password.  It seems that getting this information before the grace period is over has changed nothing.  

JM2C. 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Alice-and-Jeff0,

In itself, you are 100% right.

But in 2018: Changing password alike codes regularly is most likely a very good thing to adhere to 🙂

When even people like Zuckerberg can't keep it entirely safe! So who can?