New terms of service

Mariola---Marta0
Level 1
Warsaw, Poland

New terms of service

Can anyone explain what will be the different between New Terms of Service with AirBnB that are going to be introduced from 27th June 2018 and Terms of Service in place now? There is also Privacy Policy changing from 25th May.

Can anyone explain in simple words the changes please?

English is my second language and I struggle to plaugh through the legal semantics. I would highly appreciated your help.

Mariola

16 Replies 16
Sarah-Wright0
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

I see a huge change in the new TOS. It seems to me Airbnb is getting out of the “Property Management” business and strictly now is merely a “Payment Manager.” Airbnb no longer holds a “Contract” with Guests and requires Hosts to create their own rental contract with Guests. I’ve seen this coming for the last 6-9 mos. as when we reach out to Airbnb for help managing guests who have broken house rules, they offer no help except for a sympathetic customer service agent telling us what good hosts we’ve been. Now it is clear, any issues with guests have to be handled on our own. So, what will now happen with our reviews and Super Hosts statuses?? I ask you, Hosts, how are you going to create a Rental Contract and how will you facilitate having Guests sign these contracts prior to booking? You can find this reference at the bottom of the first page of the new TOS.

Sarah De Vries

@Sarah-Wright0 that is all they have ever been is a payment manager. We are supposed to be independent, autonomous hosts who are free to conduct business as we wish. At least according to section 5.3 of the Terms of Service:

5.3 Independence of Hosts. Your relationship with Airbnb is that of an independent individual or entity and not an employee, agent, joint venturer, or partner of Airbnb, except that Airbnb Payments acts as a payment collection agent as described in the Payments Terms. Airbnb does not direct or control your Host Service, and you agree that you have complete discretion whether and when to provide Host Services, and at what price and on what terms to offer them.

Except we don't. With each update, Brian Chompsky & Co. take away more and more protections from hosts.
They don't want us asking for ID to verify the person staying is the person booking.
They don't want us, no, they actively FORBID us from collecting a security deposit to protect our most valuable asset.
And we face severe financial punishment if we have to cancel a booking.

That's not being a Payment Manager. That's being a dictator.