New to Airbnb not happy with my first booking

Emma141
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

New to Airbnb not happy with my first booking

Hi Community, 

I am brand new to Airbnb. While i was setting up my home to be on Airbnb i didn't fully undertsand all the settings and clicked on instant book (as it was recommended by Airbnb), this resulted in my home being rented out over the festive season at a ridiculously low rate. This is understand is my ignorance. However I also only realised after the booking was made that i could add in a fee for potential breakages and i have done this but i am not sure that it covers my first guest booking?

To add to this the guest only has one review and has now started asking me questions about 1.8m inflatable jacuzzi that he and his friends want to have on my deck (where firstly there will be no space and secondly there are water restricitons). I have told the guest that this is not allowed but now i am concered about the booking. I would like to cancel but see all the restricitons that Airbnb have placed on cancelling including blocking off the dates. 

How can if find out if the breakage clause applies to this booking?

Help! I am not getting a great feeling about this and would appreciate advice from the community and Airbnb

3 Replies 3
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Emma141,

The prices and other terms that were on you listing at the time the booking was made are the ones that apply to the booking.

If you change something after a booking the change won't apply to that booking but will apply to bookings made after the change.

As you are new and have instant booking turned on your best bet is to contact Airbnb and voice your concerns to them.

Don't cancel the booking yourself without contacting Airbnb,

Plead your case. They may be understanding of new hosts and I think they're also more likely to consider accommodating the guests elsewhere for a first time problem, when you had instant booking on.

Contact information, as well as lots of other helpful information, can be found in the "Community Guidelines" post you'll see if you click on the "get support" link on the main page of this community forum.

As a shortcut here's the contact article.

Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide

Steve.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Emma141  sounds like you are still adjusting to this platform and as @Steve143 recommends, you might want to contact Air BNB about the early booking.  Meanwhile, be sure to turn off Instant Booking until you feel more comfortable about the process.  The good news is you can cancel IB reservations without penalty.  You are allowed up to 3 cancellations in a year without penalty, however, it is best to avoid if possible.  

When I first started, I made many mistakes that cost me financially, but I learned from each one.  Fortunately all mistakes were financial and I have never had a negative guest experience.  This host forum has been a very good teacher.  Best of luck to you!

@Emma141

When contacting airbnb about cancelling, make sure you tell them that you are not comfortable with the guests and refer to their request about the jacuzzi. I believe "not comfortable with guest" would be the only valid reason to cancel penalty free.