No Baths Allowed

Answered!
Ellen104
Level 4
Denver, CO

No Baths Allowed

I recently updated my listing to add a House Rule of no sit-down bathing or filling the bathtub with water allowed - Showering ONLY.

I share a bathroom with my guests and do my best to spot clean (quick 5 minute or less onceover) throughout the stay. 

I find that when guests take baths, it really requires a more in-depth cleaning than I can accomodate during a stay (I find it rude to clean with guests around).  I personally do not take baths for this exact reason. 

Also, I have an antique bathtub which was recently reglazed.  Additional/excessive cleaning can ruin the glaze faster.  Do you think this rule is unreasonable?  Is there another way to express to guests that I really don't want them to take baths in there?

1 Best Answer
Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I think it's always in the approach. I find simple non-intrusive signs to work perfectly. For instance, guests have in the past, just tossed there dishes in the dishwasher at best and at worst, just left their dishes in the sink. I placed a small sign right above the sink that says, "please handwash your dishes." I have never had another issue. Maybe make a small sign that with a frame that matches your decor so it's not so intrusive, and have it say "Bathroom is shared please shower's only." Hang it in the bathroom. Also include it in the photo showing your tub so people's expectations are met.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If I had a bathtub in the bathroom guests use, I would certainly not declare it off-limits. What I would do is put whatever cleaning fluid and cleaning cloth, sponge or plastc scrubber needs to be used to clean the bath without damaging the finish on a tray or in a small plastic or bamboo box with a note on it indicating that these, and only these, are the bathtub cleaning supplies (anything else will damage the glaze), and that all guests are required to clean the tub after use, out of respect for other guests and the host.  Make it clear that if they fail to do this, their bathtub privileges will be revoked.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Moral of the story: whatever is available to guests to use, they will. If they do, clean after yourself.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

My 5 cents: If you use bath foam instead of oils or salts, the bath gets way easier to clean.

But if you are planning to make it off-limits, make sure it says so clearly in the listing or people might book because they love baths and don't have one at home. They do that with my listing all the time.

James2226
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

Hi everyone.  I recently stayed in a beautiful room in a beautiful house with a shared bath. Everything was great but the other guest decided to take a one hour bath in the morning. It was incredibly frustrating to try and wait for the bathroom to open up so I  could pee, wash up and check out. The bathroom was right next to my room so I could hear  the bath water sloshing for 40 minutes  until I finally decided to wander downstairs to the other bathroom. (Don't like to wander around in someone's home) Took a shower and came  back upstairs and he was still taking a bath. SMH.

I don't think baths should be allowed in shared baths. People don't take 10 minute baths. The whole process of filling the bathtub and draining takes a long  time. Just a guest's perspective.  Thank you all.

@James2226  It's too bad that there are people who have no respect for others. If I were you, I would send this comment to the host of that listing in a private message. If a host is going to rent out multiple rooms with a shared bathroom, they need to have some rules in place which address this sort of thing.

@Sarah977 @I sent her a message and fortunately she was receptive to my comment and even asked me for suggestions on how to handle it. I gathered from her response that she's already experienced inconsiderate guests.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I have a back issue (congenital, had it my whole life) so I pretty much require a good soak when it flares up. I would definitely avoid any host with a bathtub who does not allow baths. I undertstand most people prefer showers these days but I am a hardcore bath person. This does seem a little draconian to me.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I think it's always in the approach. I find simple non-intrusive signs to work perfectly. For instance, guests have in the past, just tossed there dishes in the dishwasher at best and at worst, just left their dishes in the sink. I placed a small sign right above the sink that says, "please handwash your dishes." I have never had another issue. Maybe make a small sign that with a frame that matches your decor so it's not so intrusive, and have it say "Bathroom is shared please shower's only." Hang it in the bathroom. Also include it in the photo showing your tub so people's expectations are met.