No profile photo

Answered!

No profile photo

Hi why don’t guests have profile photos I have a guest on Monday and have no idea what they look like it should be compulsory 

1 Best Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lisa934

According to airbnb rules, it is compulsory, but I have noticed that guests get verified without a photo in their profile - this actually happened with my last booking.

Simply communicate with the guest and ask them nicely to upload a photo to their profile.

View Best Answer in original post

98 Replies 98

100% agree, I think Airbnb should consider the host’s perspective as well. I believe by seeing a photo of the guest I am able to make a judgement of character that is not provided in text. These changes make me reconsider hosting on Airbnb and I want to raise my concerns.

I understand that  I am able to see the guest’s photo after my approval, but feel that canceling the guest after approval is a bad experience for the guest.  This also affect my superhost status and puts me in a position where I need to decide between my superhost status or feeling unsafe about the guest coming to stay in my home. 

Maria_Joe0
Level 3
Matakana, New Zealand

Hi

I agree

We are getting many bookings with either no profile picture, or a silly fake one. Makes me increasingly nervous. Air BnB think of your hosts please! People should not be able to create an account without a verified profile picture. By the way my last guest had no profile picture and wasn’t contactable as his PA’s cell phone was used for his account. How can this be allowed?  

Hopefully common sense about safety will prevail.

Totally agree they should have to haves profile photo straight up from the beginning and and not book for friends thanks Lisa sandak 

Rome5
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

I canceled a 6 months reservation because of this policy. I am not a hotel I want to know who I am living with. I don't feel comfortable about this new policy. 

I feel this new policy is discriminatory to

us as hosts and if they don’t change it I will

personally file a complaint with the better business bureau. I called and they told everyone it was to prevent discrimination.... I told them this is unsafe and discriminatory to us as hosts. This is my home and I have a child, so I requiere government ID, a conversation about your plans and introduction and I want to see your picture just like guests get to see ours. This is biased discrimination we have the right to decide with all of our available senses (to see and communicate to make a decision about who stays in our homes just like guests get to make an assessment based on the same information. 

Jocelyne13
Level 3
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Hi

Je trouve la nouvelle politique d airbnb inadmissible.

Ils cachent les photos des voyageurs tant que la réservation n est pas confirmée!!

Ca ne met pas du tout l hôte en confiance.

Personnellement avec cette politique absurde je ne prendrai plus personne.

Jocelyne13
Level 3

I find the new policy of airbnb unacceptable.

They hide the photos of the travellers as long as they haven t confirmed their booking!!

This doesn t make the host confident and safe at all.

Personnally with this absurd policy  I won t take any travellers anymore.

So agree with you all maybe hosts profile photos should not be displayed until they book thanks Lisa 

Jocelyne13
Level 3

And do the same my friends.

Et faites tous la même chose les amis.

Lesley-and-Allan0
Level 1
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

We have never discriminated on the ethnicity or sexual orientation revealed in a pre-booking profile photo.  We have declined bookings where the photo has shown drunken, loutish and lewd behaviour. Now we have nothing apart from a first name on which to assess our own safety, the security of our home and the consent of our neighbours. So now if we are unhappy with a late reveal we have cancellation fines imposed on us.

Elisha27
Level 2
San Diego, CA

The only way we can bring a change is by ACTING!

1. Stop accepting requests.
  2. Let both the guests and Airbnb know WHY you are declining.
  3. Let them know you will not accept requests until they reverse this policy.

Airbnb needs their customers, the guests, but without US hosts providing the rental property they cannot rent. Without us hosts, they have no business.

ACT! 

Elisha

Ruth406
Level 2
Clovis, CA

Joined this conversation to see if others had the same issue as me.  I have stated in my listing that I will not accept a reservation without profile picture.  I have had people with their back to the camera, flowers, or a picture of some random person that I know is not them.  Can we cancel them without being dinged by Airbnb.  I greet my guests at the door and like to recognize who is entering my home.

Judi69
Level 1
Camp Hill, PA

I have a similar situation with a profile picture of a flower. Not only that, all of this person's reviews mention someone named Jarius, but the profile name is a Julie K (and she said her husband's name is Sean).  It's as though this profile was handed over to someone else and they updated the name.  Super sketchy. This person also booked in June for August (next week, actually) and has messaged me no less than 15 times asking ridiculous questions like what time is check in and check out and she's already altered the reservation once. I did message this person today requesting that they upload a profile picture of themselves, but not sure if I have any recourse at this point since they're coming next week. I've never had a guest that makes me nervous before, but this one sure does.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

If its IB you can have airbnb contact them about the photo.

Debra-and-Philip0
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

This is my first time hosting and out of 7 guests just got my first one with no photo. I myself always get a sense of the person from the small description they send me for booking my place. This one said he wanted a cozy cabin for him and his girlfriend for the weekend. I was a bit nervous accepting the booking based on just that. Then last night I started to smell smoke and I look outside and they had started a fire in my fire pit without asking. I went outside and said they were lucky to have a small fire based on the fire regulations. I should have gone with my feeling of this booking and cancelled but how do you know a booking based on just a picture?? As a first timer, I am reluctant to cancel anyone as I want to build up the reviews but at the same time I’m afraid to be penalized for canceling the guest after booking. It seems to me the host is “shamed” into canceling a guest.  It should be mandatory for the guest to have a photo of themselves at bare minimum. 

I think there should be some kind of list as to why the host had to cancel the guest when the guest is the one at fault. 

Now that I have great reviews I will look into changing the instant booking thing. Why do I need the hassle when I have a great product??