None Payment

Lisa344
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

None Payment

Hi,

I'm hoping for some help and advice.

I have been a host with AirBnB since 2013 and never had any problems.  On the 7th October 2016 AirBnB stopped paying me.  I contacted them and was informed I needed to prove I had paid my taxes.  This was no problem, as my taxes are paid.  I asked what they needed me to provide.  I was told that I would need to speak to their tax and legal department.  I asked for their contact number only to be told that that department doesn't accept incoming calls.  They would call me.

To cut a long story short, I am still waiting to hear from the legal and tax department and have not received a payment from AirBnB since the 7th October.  I have been told it is do with me not completing a form that they have sent.  I asked when the form was sent.  I was then told that AirBnB never sent me the form and there has been some mistake.  I asked for the form to be sent and I would get my accoutant to complete it and send over all evidence that tax had been paid.  I was told that the legal and tax department would need to send the form.  Guess what, I'm still waiting for the form.

I have also been told that I have automatically lost 30% of my rental and all future bookings.  So basically as I've alreday paid tax on these rentals, I've made a hugh loss and our business is at risk.  We are only a small family business and this is putting a hugh strain on us.

I am now due a lot of money and with regret I am going to have cancel future bookings.  I contacted AirBnB to inform them of this and was told I would be charge $100 per cancellation.  I really don't want to cancel any reservations as this would be awful for our guests.

I'm getting so frustrated as we did love working with AirBnB and the guests we get are brilliant.  However I am upset how AirBnB have treated us.  No one has contacted us to highlight any problem with our account, and no one is explaining anything to us.

I have called and emailed daily.  I am now at a loss at what to do and thinking of seeking legal advice and closing my account.

I'm hoping someone can help.

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Before you close your account - because it sounds as if you really do not want to take that step, @Lisa344 - tweet to AirbnbHelp on Twitter. If you do not have a Twitter account, it is worth opening one up just for this. It seems to work when all else fails. 

All the best with this. So frustrating for you!

Lisa344
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks Lawrence.  I've contacted AirBnB via Twitter twice.  I've now spoken to them about cancelling my reservations as I'm not getting anywhere, and the debt to my home owners is mounting up.  I really did enjoy working with AirBnB and have never had any problems before.  It would be great to speak to someone in the tax and legal department so I can find out what the problem is.  I completed the W-8ECI form last year and is showing on my file as completed.  However the email I received today says that they are withholding tax as I've not completed this form.  I'm really at a loss.  I think AirBnB is brillant, but needs to improve communication with it's host and maybe let the legal and tax accept incoming calls so they can discuss problems with hosts.  Thank you for your help and maybe I might be third time luck with Twitter.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lisa344 I am not in the UK but I do know a bit about the VAT that must be collected and remitted by EU residents.  Air BNB addresses it in the following article.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1610/what-kind-of-taxes-do-i-need-to-pay-as-an-experience-host-o...

Perhaps your accountant can help you contact the appropriate taxing agency in the UK to determine if there is a problem with your declaration of income and taxes.  It would seem there would have to be some communication system between Air BNB and tax collection for Air BNB to declare you haven't paid taxes.  Right?   It must be asful to be caught in the middle and feel there is nothing you can do.

Lisa344
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi Linda, thanks for your help and advice.  The company is registered in the US.  I completed the W-8ECI form last year, but now AirBnB say that I have not completed this form and this is why they are withholding taxes.  The form is even showing on my file as completed.  I just wish I could speak to the legal and tax department so we can sort this out.  I really want to carry on working with AirBnB, as I really do love the system and 95% of the guests have been brilliant.  I even encourage repeat guests to book back via AirBnB.  I regret this now!   I understand that AirBnB have legal responibilities and have to be seen as meeting tax requirements, but they must improve their communication and response time with hosts.  This could put me out of business purely on a cashflow basis and I'm now worried I have lost 30% of rental.  It's a nightmare and I'm at a loss what to do.  Thank you again for your help.