Number of guests on the reservation vs number of guests they really are!

Number of guests on the reservation vs number of guests they really are!

I've been having this problem on a few reservation requests.

The traveller requests pricing & availability for, let's say, 6 adults, but they are really 6 adults and 4 young children.

First, my house can only accept 8 persons (number of beds & sanitary installations). Second, we charge an extra fees for the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th traveller in the house. This causes the rate to be much lower on the traveller's request (to their advantage, of course) and if they don't mention the kids in their message, we would never know. The house cannot take more than 8 people, end of it. What happens in this case?

Can I or do I have to refuse them access to the house when they get there?

Can I ask them to modify their reservation to get the correct pricing (if they mention it in message with their reservation request)? 

Can I charge extra once I know they are more people than in the original reservation? 

Than you! 

16 Replies 16
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Cynthia24 

Airbnb’s app (can’t remember if also for the site) is defaulted at one adult only and often I feel people overlook this and just go ahead in booking.

If there is an additional charge for the extra guest of pets, this should be clearly stated in your listing. 

Irregardless of whether guest booked with IB or is simply inquiring, I ask guest to confirm 

-dates for stay (start/end)

-who is staying during said stay

-if they have read the entire listing and rules, are in agreement to them

-they are aware of any short comings with respect to the property or it’s location (eg. Only accessible by stairs) 

- any questions/concerns they may have

This helps in setting realistic expectations and also allows you to build rapport! 

Hope this helps. 
Yadira 

Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

This is incredibly frustrating. I had someone book, telling me she was going to donate bone marrow for her brother at our local hospital. I was touched and told her if the procedure was difficult, I would be happy to host her for an extra night at no charge to let her rest. TShe showed up with her mother and father, a toddler and an eight year old. They ignored the toddler who managed to get through the gate that blocks our deck from the backyard and got up our stairs to our second-story deck. If the toddler had fallen, it could have killed them. I brought the toddler down and had to pound on the door to alert them the child was outside. They looked at me and huffed, "Well, you said this backyard was fenced and safe!"