Occupancy taxes

Holly6
Level 1
Golden, CO

Occupancy taxes

Since Abnb does not have any place to add the local Occupancy tax to the rate, I have had to ask my Guests to mail it separately to me at my home address.  One of my recent Guests says that she has never been asked to do this on Airbnb.  Do most of you include it in your nightly fee (which could make your property seem more expensive than others) or do you ask for it separately?  Please advise.  Holly

3 Replies 3
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Holly6

We chose to inflate our prices and include the fee on our nightly rate... Much easier for everyone...

Some of hosts around us ask the payment to be made when they arrive to pickup the key...

This is totaly your choice... If you choose to collect the taxes separately it MUST be clearly explained on your listing! 

Luis

Hi there,  do you know if I can remove the taxes altogether?  On other sites, I collect the taxes myself and pay them monthly to the appropriate entities.  BNB is only collecting the state tax and we have other taxes that must be paid.  As this is a bit confusing, it's easier for me to just collect it all myself.  Any help on this subject? Thanks

Hope-and-Rennie0
Level 3
Mendocino, CA

Hi @Holly6 and @Tanya

I agree with Luis. We include both the Hawaii Excise Tax and the Hawaii Transient Occupancy Tax in the listed nightly rental price. Tanya is right in that it makes our AirBnb listing 'seem more expensive'. We try to clearly state that the Hawaii taxes are included in our rental, but AirBnb does not make this easy.

Personally, I believe that this is a great disservice to both AirBnb Hosts, and AirBnb Guests. AirBnb would get much less blowback/resistance in various cities like NYC, San Francisco, etc. if they allowed in-website specific tax collection like VeeAreBeeOh and FlopKee.

Rennie