[Off-topic] Love Food!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Off-topic] Love Food!

Global Menu

Hello all,

If you are like me I am very proud of my local food and dishes, and have tried some fantastic or just simply delicious meals when on holiday!

I thought I would create this thread to celebrate and share our favorite local food, favorite recipes and great local meals we have enjoyed whilst on our travels. 🙂

Enjoy!

(Looking for some inspiration, take a look at this Meal of Champions thread here in the CC, to wet your appetite)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

27 Replies 27
Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lizzie

That is a nice topic. Having just come back from #Brazil and with the #Olympics now started I fell in love with #caipirhina .

Here is a picture of a caipirinha with a view to Copacabana beach

You need 1 lime, 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar, 65 ml cachaca and a handful of cracked ice. 

Put the limes and sugar in a sturdy glass tumbler, muddle them with a coctail muddler to extract the juice fro the lime and dissolve the sugar. (Or any other way). Add the cachaca and the ice. 

Rio16-Rio_Caipirinha_on_beacha.jpg

1. Great drink, but be careful! Ha ha!
  2. very inexpensive too!
Michelle13
Level 8
New York, NY

I can't really provide full meals for guests but I do like to ring in special occasions with treats. For Christmas time I make a big crockpot of hot cocoa with lots of toppings on the side (coconut, nutmeg, cinnamon, flavored extracts, etc.)

I also try to support smaller but tasty bakeries far from my listing so guests can sample the whole borough & culture without having to choose between Manhattan and far away Brooklyn i.e. Haitian pates, Puerto Rican pasteles, etc.
An-Nhien0
Level 3
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

goi cuon.jpg

Hi everyone, so glad I found this topic as my other hobby besides enjoying good food is talking about good food 🙂

Here's a photo of the Vietnamese fresh summer rolls that we offer to our guests upon arrival whenever we can. It's so easy to make and all ingredients are either fresh vegetable or steamed pork/prawn so we can all dig in without the guilt. The sauce contains peanut but anyone who's allergic can switch to the sweet & sour fish sauce as a substitute.

Happy weekend 🙂

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@An-Nhien0 that looks so lovely. I am Dutch but live in London. Whenever I go to Holland I buy gado gado sauce which is ready made and includes peanut butter. It is great with chicken as well as with vegetables. Very similar to the Vietnamese version but slightly different as it originates from Indonesia - so I add sambal to it for the spicyness

An-Nhien0
Level 3
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Oh I love sambal, can't have enough of it with chicken, fish,  meat, espcially the grilled ones 🙂

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

So yummy, @An-Nhien0! I always have sambal and ketjap manis on my list to take back with me to London when I go home!

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Nice to read a post from a fellow Dutchie in London, @Dieneke0! Hope you are having a blast with hosting!

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Babs0 - yes and you too have a great time. By the way, do you make your own croquetten or have you found somewhere to buy them here? 

I adore Vietnamese food!

That looks and sounds absolutely delicious! Very inspiring!

Je salut tout le monde  dans mon pays les menu  comme le dolle le koki les feulles du manioc cuite sans selle et avec selle parcontre beacoup de nuorriture internationale si trouve dans mon pays le cameroun alors je emue de lire et comprendre de l'autre cote ce monde qui fontionne tres bien pour voyage et decouvrir de autre  pays

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Love hearing about all this food - @Alysha3@Dieneke0@Babs0@Kitty-and-Creek0 and @Laura474 🙂

I'm thinking of try to make something with pumpkin this weekend in light of Halloween next week, like pumpkin pie or pumpkin brownies. Have you ever made much with pumpkin or any suggestions?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie

I love cooking with pumpkins. In addition to the baked goods you suggest, I use pumpkin just like any other winter squash. I love baked, steamed, or microwaved pumpkin/squash with sweet, savory, or spices. Pumpkin soup is a favorite. I love to mix pumpkin/squash with other sweet items such as onion, carrot, apple. Seasonings include cinnamon, allspice, cloves, star anise, five spice, and of course, curry!

Happy Autumn Flavors!

Kitty