Open Homes Program

Carolyn95
Level 1
Yuba City, CA

Open Homes Program

How do you know if a guest is actually an evacuee and not a scammer?  Does Airbnb have any process to verify guests in this regard?  Are the majority using an agency?  Many thanks

26 Replies 26

I just opened an account for the Camp Fire evacuees  and I’m having all kinds of people want a room but I only want the fire evacuees.  No idea how this is really going to work. 

Hi Joy!

I did Open Home for the CampFire evacuees also.  I suggest you make your booking listing set to the potential guest has to message you with why they want to book.  AirBnB lists the town the people were from, so that’s some verification. 

I have a sweet couple from Paradise who are starting over, shell shocked and so grateful.  They are working around my existing bookings. 

Also, it looks like the Open Homes pricing is just to the end of the year and my regular price is back in Jan. 

I hope your experience is also a good one.  

I'm with you Colleen. I'd like to open my homes for the folks in SoCal, but am nervous about these comments that don't seem to be answered by AirBnB.

I guess it’s good we have a community forum - the website has more graphics than real explanations! 

So I relayed my experience so far in the posts above.  It’s been good so far but definitely have all reservation requests message you their plans before *you* approve (or reject) a booking.  

Angela46
Level 2
Redondo Beach, CA

I joined but got requests for student housing and people claiming they were in the areas that were evacuated when in fact I verified these areas were not evacuated. I would like to remove myself from this program. Do you know how I can do this? 

I've also just signed up for open homes for fire victims but don't see anywhere I can manage this including where I can remove myself from the program. I see nothing in my settings. Unfortunately I cannot afford to do this indefinately. 

Thanks so much for help with this. 

Okay found it... to be removed from open homes >> Go to listing details  and scroll down .. there you can just turn it off. 

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Go into your settings and turn it off

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

So glad this is working for you.  If I lived closer I'd be doing it.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Ive heard nothing from Air BnB except to read the sign up page...which doesn't match reality, and I could get mo more specifics from support, so I feel bad, but withdrew my listing from Open Homes. for lack if concrete information and spport from ABB.

I abhor even the thought, but based on the lack of follow up, I'm beginnig to wonder if this was mainly a PR move by ABB  : (

Tyler164
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Type in Open Home Airbnb again and choose list your home.

Select your listing to edit/deactivate.

We turned in on for Nashville Tornado 2020, but appear to be taken advantage of sadly when more serious impacts throughout the community are actually happening.  I cannot see this being of much value besides someone taking advantage of a nicer place to stay for one night.  Typically, during disaster events, there are shelters put together and working with local Red Cross and churches should take priority.  Maybe if someone is new to the area, doesn't know anyone or have any relatives/friends in the area - they could turn to Airbnb - but sad to feel taken advantage of 😞

I also turned on Open Homes for my listing in Nashville after the 2020 tornado, and immediately got a somewhat questionable request for only one night. I did not realize that Airbnb offered no vetting process or extra hand-holding in this situation -- literally anyone from anywhere could go to Open Homes and book my house for free. All they had to say is that they were displaced by the tornado. It really sucks to be put in this position by Airbnb. I assumed I would get extra information or some kind of assurance that the person booking was indeed in need of help. I declined the request after finding several threads like this one online, and immediately took my listing down from Open Homes. Better safe than sorry. Very sad. Great idea, terrible execution.