Option to TIP hosts!

Ali122
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Option to TIP hosts!

Don't you think there should be an option on Airbnb to tip your host?  They've recently added it to Uber.  If the host (not naming names) goes above and beyond to prepare and make sure their guest has a seamless time, perhaps the appreciative guest would like to thank them with an unexpected tip!  $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 options would be appropriate, there are all types of travelers  

19 Replies 19
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"People in this replies thread are cheap as hell, wow."

It has zero to do with being cheap. We are discussing whether guests would be offended by being asked for a tip. And let's face it, if it pops up as an option, it makes guests who don't wish to tip feel cheap and offended. 

It's nice that you wish to tip your hosts. I don't think that it's a valid reason to have it be part of the platform presented in that way just because you don't always carry cash. If you know you have a check-out coming up ad wish to leave a tip, I don't see any reason you can't prepare for that by making sure you have some cash on you.

Also, you can send money to the host through the Airbnb resolution center by clicking on "Send Money" so there is already a way to do that.

As a host, I don't want my guests to be solicited for tips. @Kris2933

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

When Airbnb solicited guests for "contributions" to hosts after COVID hit and hosts had all their reservations cancelled, it totally backfired, as the majority of hosts told them it would (they didn't listen). Hosts started getting nasty messages from guests who were offended at being asked, not realizing it wasn't the hosts' doing.  

@Kris2933

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sarah977 

And the "contributions" option is still there in the accounts, it is even set to "ON" by default :

https://www.airbnb.com/account-settings/payments/guest-contributions.

All hosts should check this setting.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

If guests would just respect the rules, the process,  and our properties, I would already be happy I'm not looking for a tip.

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

And another NO from Stockholm, Sweden.