Overall - INSTANT BOOKING NOT A GREAT FEATURE! More problems than increased reservations!

Randy0
Level 3
Portland, OR

Overall - INSTANT BOOKING NOT A GREAT FEATURE! More problems than increased reservations!

Being that I am consdiering initializing the Instant Book feature I wanted to be prudent and first look to the community to gain concensus about this feature; and honestly there are numerous posts about how problematic it is for hosts.  Tons of posts and threads result under key word 'instant book' show that overall people are turning it off once they've tried it because the tools are NOT actually 'doing' what the host has set it up to do. (i.e., books guests that don't match the hosts requirements).....and all this just leaves hosts irrirtated and having cancel reservations.  Just negative post after negative post...almost no one sings it's praises or declares how efficeient it is or how it's increased their reservations by XYZ%

So if Instant Book was optimized and worked well, there would be no need to offer 3 free cancellations for hosts, as well I would see more posts in the community writing positive remarks about instant booking.  Anyone else feel the same? -Randy

31 Replies 31
Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Randy0  I think Instant Booking was for guests not really for hosts. As Airbnb proceed with their business expansion, Airbnb realized that guests really don't like to wait for hosts' reply, which lead Airbnb to loose possible customers to other booking sites. So they created this Instant Booking feature and promoting it to hosts. 

Now that it is evident that Airbnb is trying to take over other regular accomodation booking sites, it probably is realistic to assume that Aitbnb will push more and more toward Instant Booking than 'get to know your guests before hosting'.

I also have reservations about INSTANT BOOK.  I have had a couple of wierdos call me about bookings and I would DEFINITELY NOT want them in my house.  

There is also a trend to book a house for a weekend - then the owners have a wrecked house as the guests have bought in more people and had a rave.

I would rather have less bookings but quality, honest guests.

Am I alone in viewing Instant Book in this way?

What other experiences have hosts had?

Thanks Nina

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

So far, we haven't had a problem with instant book itself. We're having a problem now with the calendar. We have the setting to only allow bookings within 3 months out, however, we just had an instant booking for August. I looked and it blocks some dates, but then mysteriously opens up again in July, then is blocked later in the year.

Instant book guests seem to be more experienced travelers, that don't need a lot of hand-holding....much less work than the ones who don't read the listing and ask a lot of questions that you already answered in the listing.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Randy0

Great to meet you, thank you for starting this thread and sharing your thoughts. Just to introduce myself my name is Lizzie and I manage the English speaking area of the Community Center here. It is really interesting to hear your thoughts on this feature, as you mention Instant Booking is a widely talked about topic in the CC. I think it is great to discuss this among hosts and hear the different ways each of us use it (or not) and why people dislike it or find it useful, for example some hosts only use it out of season. 

Thanks again and I will be sure to pass the feelings on to the relevant Airbnb Team so they have Community feedback on this feature. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie:

Hello-

We've used IB both as a guest and as a host. As guests, sometimes we have a quick last minute business trip and are trying to find something super late and IB is convenient.

As a host- we've had very good experiences with the exception of probably 3 out of probably 15 possibly more IB so we have been VERY lucky.

It would be nice if the IB feature was enhanced to ensure hosts who want to use it have a little more protection. The 3 cancellations penalty free is a start BUT I would like to see the following items;

*Only guests who have a visible face picture

*Fully verified including an offline I.D. (when they are verified with email, phone number- these verifications aren't solid and easily changed)

*Have previous positive reviews (maybe a minimum of 2)

*Have a complete profile description

*Require guests to include some basic information of their visit in the message that gets sent to hosts upon IB getting confirmed:

--Purpose of visit: Business, Leisure, Combination, Other:

--Full names of guests who are included in the reservations, require they include ALL guests even if they have newborns, in fact someone mentioned for Airbnb to offer a drop down menu where guests have to indicate type of guest: (adult, teenager, 3-12yrs, Newborn/toddler) This would help us as hosts prepare accordingly

--For listings that are pet friendly- for the pet fee indicated by host to be acknowledged/accepted and confirm their pet is potty/house trained etc, basically whatever the host requires.

*And to have to click and confirm they have indeed read, understood, and and agree to follow all house rules

*Understand that guests may not bring additional guests not included in the reservation (maybe there should be a penalty here)

Those are our wish lists.

Also for regular bookings add:

--For listings that are pet friendly- for the pet fee indicated by host to be acknowledged/accepted and confirm their pet is potty/house trained etc, basically whatever the host requires of pet guests.

--And to have to click and confirm they have indeed read, understood, and and agree to follow all house rules

--Understand that guests may not bring additional guests not included in the reservation (maybe there should be a penalty here)

*And to have to click and confirm they have indeed read, understood, and and agree to follow all house rules

--Confirm they are booking this reservation for themselves and not a 3rd party booking

Another topic:

Start cracking down on profiles that don't use real names, real pictures, and have completed descriptions. I remember seeing the email after the Paris opening that pictures would be required but I still see enough host/guests that are not complying.

Thanks in advance for hearing us out.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Wendy-and-Markus0,

There are some great points here, thanks for taking the time to share them. 

Thinking on your ideas about pet friendly listings, I wonder if you had seen this thread? There are many other host who agree with you that this would be a good addition to the listing. 

Also, in regards to your point about additional guest - as I am sure you have seen this is a very active discussion within the CC! I saw you posted on the Number of Guest feature idea discussion, which is great to see. It is great to gather lots of views on this so that I can pass this over to Airbnb. 

I completely agree with you about the profile pics/names, I believe this is a work in progress and obviously will take some time to spread across to everyone. It might also be that some hosts are still unaware about this, if you see anyone on here though, please feel free to update them about it - so we can spread this across the community and help each other. 🙂

Thanks again for this and all your really interesting comments across the CC, I always enjoy reading them. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Marcus

I agree, there are a number of points I believe should be mandatory to activate a guest membership - if it is called that

I definitely agree your point on profiles and acknowledgement of house rules, and have decided that I will always ask every guest to complete their profile, and confirm they have read and agree to my house rules. It doesn't mean they will of course, but I will not hesitate to ask someone to leave if necessary, and sort out the formalities afterwards

As far as establishing my rules, I had some specifics in mind and I also looked at the listing of the recently highlighted Superhosts - Laney & Brian was it ? (sorry!) and copied some of theirs

I also make sure over the first few days that they are being followed, and voice my dissatisfaction if they are not

I am new to this, my rooms are in the budget price bracket, and so far all my guests have been longish term. I have had a few details (habits!) to be ironed out, but so far I seem to be ok ! So far ...

I am wary, but in the absence of a proper income now I need to make this work

Thanks

Oops, I forgot to say - while Instant Book might sound easier, it makes me nervous. For me (on my own) I need to retain at least some control of who I ask into my home

I would only consider using instant book if I could restrict it to guests who have stayed with us before and that we have given good reviews to - otherwise it;'s a no no

I like this idea, why not increase number of reviews to say 5.... its a priviledge to Instant book

Great Idea:)

I would also like to see an age requirement

Example:  minimum age required to book 

Heather147
Level 1
New York, United States

I have been a host on Airbnb and on VRBO for two years now and generally it has gone well. The first year I had an even split (about 50% each for Airbnb and VRBO), but last year it was closer to 70% Airbnb. The two companies do things differently, and there are things that I like and dislike about both. I am not looking to maximize rentals for our vacation house, merely cover expenses so that it makes sense to keep it. (We now live in a different city but visit the house regularly.)

This past week I turned on Instant Book despite misgivings, and sure enough, the very first booking that I ended up with is causing me trouble. The renter wants to rent the whole house for friends but is really short on details about them or himself. The guy is in his early twenties and wants to fill the house with a bunch of early twenty-somethings for a wedding. I've always had the policy that the renter must be at least 25 and staying at the property. I'm going to talk to him this evening, but I'm definitely leaning towards canceling, even if they penalize me for it. I would rather turn away business if there is a decent chance that the house will get damaged. I can just imagine someone throwing up on my velvet sofa and ruining it, or water staining the mid-century dresser in the master suite. 

I don't like the loss of control with Instant Book. I always like to make sure that the guests and I are comfortable with one another. I don't care about race or nationality or religion or sexual orientation-- any and all is fine. What I DO care about is a sense that the potential guest will be respectful with the house, the property and the neighbors, and it is hard to get a sense of that without exchanging a few messages. I also do not allow toddlers to stay (there are a few hazards, like a railing along the staircase that little heads can fit through)-- for their own protection. But even with making my rules clear, I'm surprised at the number of potential renters who try to get me to change my mind. "Oh, my two-year-old is fine on stairs with no gates or carpeting." Sure, until that kid falls on my stairs, breaks her arm, and then blames me, the property owner. No thanks. 

I understand why Airbnb is pushing on Instant Book so hard-- they want to be seen to discourage any sort of response which might be seen as racially biased or some other type of bias. But for those of us who are opening up our homes, those initial messages are key to helping up determine if the guest is a good fit or not. I just turned off Instant Book and can't imagine putting it back on.

Any time a potential guest uses the word wedding in their inquiry I press the decline button and move on. 

Twenty-somethings? Wedding? Instant Book?   Instant Cancellation