PETS And FEES

Shanyn0
Level 3
Urangan, Australia

PETS And FEES

Hi Guys, 

I am a host and allow pets, I think it is great that people can bring their fur babies along with them while they are on holidays but i would love it if AIR BNB would put an opion for a pet fee/pet cleaning fee. What are your thoughts? I do find that when we have a dog stay that the cleaning is always so much more but i do not want the minority to blow it for the majority. Whats your thoughts?

75 Replies 75
Tom-and-Lisa0
Level 10
Kalispell, MT

I believe Airbnb has gone completely deaf to its hosts.  hundreds of posts and thousands of host have been asking Airbnb for, among other things, a pet fee---and NO RESPONSE WHATSOEVER.  They kind of mentioned extra fees at the last host Q&A, but it was their usual lip service, hollow speak.  If you like being lied to and deceived and wasting your time, tune into a host Q&A.

I agree, hundreds of posts asking for a Pet Fee to be an option included at the time the reservation is made. They don't care. So I send the REQUEST FOR MONEY after booking. But often it won't let me send the request until they've made their payment in full which is about 10 days before arrival. Therefore they've already forgotten and it's a battle right up until check in to get the fee paid. I usually have to involve Airbnb in the collection process which is time consuming. It also annoys the guests before they've even arrived. I'm thinking of raising my cleaning fee from $100 to $125 so I no longer have to charge for pets. What are others doing to work around this?

Raise your cleaning fee.  

Sherrie27
Level 2
Noblesville, IN

I ‘be only been listing on AirBnB for a couple of weeks. I’ve allowed pets in my listing and would like to charge an extra fee.  Would it be ok to message the fee notice to the guest and ask them to leave cash to pay it? 

Hi, Sherry — I don’t charge a fee, per se, but I post my pet deposit several places in my ads (I have found that few people actually read an entire ad), and ask guests to send the deposit through the Resolution Center. That’s worked okay so far, but I then have to remember to send it back and the original transaction may not be finished processing for a few days after the guests have checked out, so it’s not seamless nor foolproof. Because of the suggestions here, I am going to implement the following:

— Require that guests bringing pets send an Inquiry — Not reserve through the automated system.

— Respond to the Inquiry with a “Special Offer”, adding $100 cleaning deposit (getting the deposit requires proof from the host of damages... see About Deposits if you haven’t already) AND add a one time pet fee, likely $25 per pet. I have a two pet limit in place).

This seems the most practical, least impactful way to ensure the visit doesn’t cost me more than the rental income. I also don’t think most pet owners would find these charges unreasonable. I wouldn’t, anyway lol.

Thoughts?

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I do not allow pets, but have had a very sincere request from a family to bring their pet. I understand the ways in which to add a 'pet fee' such as through the resolution center or through a special offer, but I'm afraid this would not be enough.

Has anyone attempted to collect a 'pet deposit' through the special offer or resolution center beforehand, then refund it after? If a dog tore up my sofa or peed on something, I would want to have at least a $500 actual deposit, not the fake host guarantee deposit. 

We have allowed up to 2 dogs per stay the past 16 months and have never had a problem. We don't get a deposit but we do charge $25 per dog, per stay because there is extra clean up involved. Our pet rules are strict but people still let there dogs up on the couch and the beds so there's extra laundry and vacuuming. Also, we leave dog poop bags by the back door but usually we still have to pickup dog poop after guests leave. 

We do use the Resolution Center to collect the $25 per dog fee but it can be difficult. I tell them right when they book that they will get a "Request for Money" about a week before arrival and the payment is due immediately. For some reason you cannot use the "Request Money" button until they've paid which is normally a week or two before they're arrival. I've had guests forget about it and then ignore my request. I've had to involved Airbnb support a couple of times to collect the fee for me.

The point is, it should not be up to the owner to use the Resolution Center to collect the fee. That let's Airbnb off the hook. There should be a Pet Fee Option similar to the Extra Guest Fee that establishes the cost up front requiring the guest to accept it up front and Airbnb to collect it. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Hi John — I just got done reading up on how the deposits work. In a nutshell, you can charge any amount of deposit that you want; it isn’t collected from the guests unless you file a claim (within 2 weeks OR before the space is rerented (BIG OR!)), provide PROOF (photos, receipts) and if the guest contests, AirBnB mediates.

Damages as you describe probably would not be covered by AirBnB’s liability coverage. Especially not if the deposit is sent through the resolution (& you won’t find many guests who will upfront $500 anyway). If the deposit is added through Special Offer AS a deposit, then damages over and above the deposit may (??) be covered by the AirBnB insurance.

I gather the most important thing is to make sure to clearly disclose the deposit in the ad, make sure the guest processes through an Inquiry and not the automated system... and document everything in case you need to file a claim.

Happy Hosting!

We have 3 dogs that go everywhere with us, so we allow pets at our rental. As travelers we have paid pet fees, and as owners we feel we should be able to collect a pet fee. On HomeAway, we charge a non-refundable pet fee of $100 for every stay, and we are booked by dog owners quite often. Paying the $100 fee is less than paying to board the dogs somewhere else. There hasn't been any additional cleanup for us so far. Wish ABB would give owners the choice of offering this.

I agree with you! The most frustrating part of using Airbnb is the lack of a Pet Fee option during the reservation process. Homeaway makes this so easy. 

We have been landlords for 30 years and have definitely experienced what traditional tenants' pets do to a property. However, we have also had the same experience with what traditional tenants themselves do to a property.  We allow pets UPON APPROVAL in 9 of our 10 listings. We have been hosts on Airbnb for 4 years and have never had any pet damages. We have very strict pet policy (pets crated if left unattended, barking/leash/poop clean up, etc.) in our House Rules and we do charge a pet fee. The pet fee is important to me because it weeds out the people who are not really all that invested in bringing their pet and just looking to avoid a boarding fee at home. 

We also have the same strict pet policy in our house rules. I charge $25 per dog, per stay, up to 2 dogs. I request the fee through the resolution center using the "Request Money" button. It does weed out the people who are not serious. I remind people about the additional pet fees right when they book because often I can't send the Request for Money until right before their arrival due to the way Airbnb has payments setup. So by then they forget and it can be diffcult to collect the money. I've had to involve Airbnb support a few times to collect on my behalf because the guest still hasn't paid 24 hours before arrival. I hope at some point Airbnb will put the pet fee option in with the reservation process. What's your process for collecting these pet fees?

Lisa1663
Level 1
Beverly, MA

Hi. I am dealing with this right now.  I allow pets and have found every guest before now to be wonderfully respectful and clean. Recently I had a couple stay the they brought their miniature husky and allowed there daughter who lives in the area to keep her dog at the unit as well. After checkout I went by to start my usual cleaning and I was flabbergasted.   The rugs were literally coated in white hair, our duvets were cover, and the bottoms of the curtains and table cloth had dog hair.  It took me 14 hours to clean the 3 bedroom apartment.  I actually cried!  The cold winter air creates static and even the sheets still had dog hair after being washed and dried.  There are other sites that allow a pet fee and this one should too.  I feel like it doesn’t make sense why it’s not an option.  But from now own I’m charging a security deposit which will only be refunded if there isn’t any excessive dog hair and I’ve told guests they MUST vacuum.  It just floors me that people would feel guilty not picking up poop or leaving a place so hairy!!

Terry54
Level 5
Johnson City, TX

Our two listings are pet friendly. Most of the time guests are honest about bringing pets and their agreement to our pet rules. But not always. Twice, guests have left their dogs unattended and uncrated and caused damage including a large tear in the love seat. Now we have to say dogs cannot be left unattended. That is not fair to the good pet owners.

We always experience more work and cost when hosting guests with pets. This includes providing towels for pets, providing waste bags and receptacles, work to collect and dispose of waste, more thorough cleaning and laundering to address odors and hair.

Of course there should be a pet fee available to hosts.  It should not be up to the host to have to send a Special Offer or collect additional money from the guest.  This would be similar to either the extra guest fee or the cleaning fee. Why does Airbnb resist this?