Paying Taxes on AirBnb income? (USA)

Sorath0
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Paying Taxes on AirBnb income? (USA)

Hi Guys,

I wasnt sure how this works and I am a new host. I recently started working with Airbnb and put my listing up. I have had tremendous response and am booked up for 14 days straight. What I am not sure about is how am I suppose to pay taxes on this?

I have a rented apartment which I put up for just 14 days, I read somewhere that I wont be taxed for that. is that true? Any help would be really appreciated! 

Thanks!!

18 Replies 18

I spoke to someone at Airbnb today and I thought she said they send 1099 forms only if you earn more than $200,000.  That seems pretty bizarre so maybe it's $20,000.  In any case I started hosting in August 2016 and made a little under $17,000 in 5 months. Airbnb told me they don't report it to the IRS.  However, I'm reluctant to not report it, and it seems I can deduct a lot of expenses so it might not be so bad.  I can deduct part of my mortgage, my homeowner insurance, my taxes, my utilities including internet & Dish network, part of my gardener (because guests have their own entrance and garden) and all cleaning fees.  Plus cost of linens, soap, shampoo, wine & food I leave for guests, orchids I buy for the apartment, keys, lockbox, and any repairs or maintenance.  Also I can depreciate furniture bought specially (rugs, daybed, sleeper sofa, appliances)  Because the space I rent is completely self-contained I think I'll be able to deduct close to 1/3 of what I received.  I will also have to pay California state tax. Starting last August Airbnb began collecting occupancy taxes from guests and paying it in to the City of Los Angeles.  Hosts are not involved.  I am glad they are doing this because local hotels were trying to shut us down, and I believe we are in a stronger position now the city is collecting occupancy taxes, and it doesn't cost hosts anything.

Hi, can we deduct  fees like rent, cleaning, internet,cable, shampoo,towel,bed sheet, pillow from our Gross earnings? 

Yes.  You can deduct all direct expenses/purchases/repairs, plus (in the U.S. anyway) a portion of house mortgage interest, taxes & insurance.  Also a portion of utilities (gas, water, internet, cable) and maintenance, including cleaning fees.

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I think if you rent no more than 14 days in a year you are not required to pay income tax.  Anything over that you are required to pay Federal taxes and also state taxes if your state has income taxes.