Payment which was not mentioned before booking

Tatjana13
Level 2
Baška Voda, Croatia

Payment which was not mentioned before booking

Yesterday I booked a nice apartment in centre of Florence, everything seemed perfect before I completed the reservation (apartment itself, location, reviews, communication with the host - everything). But, when I completed the booking and paid everyting what I was suppose to pay, I faced an unpleasant surprise. My host sent me long e-mail with detailed instructions, which would be very nice if he didn't change the house rules.

These are the house rules which every guests see on his listing, when deciding about taking this apartment (or not):

"Don’t forget to communicate through airbnb messenger your scheduled arrival time at least 36 hours before the arrival itself.
CHECK-IN is since 2pm (the place cannot be ready before that time).
CHECK-OUT is by noon (sometimes it could be possible to stay after 12:00 but please ask for this before and we will check if it’s fine).
We can consider the option of earlier check-in (just to drop the luggage and to pick up the keys), and you can ask us to leave the luggage home during the afternoon after checking-out, but it depends on the particular daily situation.
We invite you also to consider the option of luggage storage at the Central Train Station SMN or the Left Luggage Florence (via dei Boni 5r, in the heart of the old town centre), prices are about 1e/hour, 6e/day."

And this is what guests get in privat email from the host AFTER they complete booking and pay:

"Don't forget to tell us your scheduled arrival time as you'll know it. Since one person will be there waiting for you, you're kindly asked to respect the announced arrival time, in case of delay we have to ask you to give the employee 5 euros every 30 minutes he has to wait beyond the scheduled time."

I checked every single word on this airbnb listing, there is no word about this 5 euros for every 30 minutes in case of my delay.

Is it possible that host asks for any payment which guests were not informed about before booking the apartmen? If the host insist on it, what should the guest do?

Best greetings

Tatjana

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello  Tatjana

How are you arriving for your visit. Do you think you might be delayed? If not then it won't be an issue for you.

If you are worried that the transport you are using won't be reliable then just arrange a check in time a few hours later then you are arriving into the city. In this way you are likely to be able to find your way promptly to the check in time you agree with your host.

Some hosts have been frustrated by guests who say one arrival time and then arrive much later creating inconvenience for the host. They therefore put in clauses to try and ensure guests arrive in a prompt manner. It sounds like the host is paying someone to meet and greet you, and if you delay your arrival they will have to pay for this extra time, so is suggesting this cost is passed on to you.

I agree with you that it should have been mentioned on the listing, but if you plan your arrival properly - there is no reason that you will incur this extra charge.

Dear Helen,

Thank you for your comment.

I am asked to tell my "scheduled arrival time at least 36 hours before the arrival itself", and that is correct. My intention is to reach apartment as soon as possible, to leave my bags and start enjoying in the city ... But we all know that sceduled and exact time are not the same, it is not about hours, but could be about minutes. I will fly to FCO airport, and from then I will jump on the first train to Florence. First surprise could be on the airport, going through customs control and picking up the luggage -  it could be 15 minutes, and it could be 45 minutes. I could easily miss to reach planned train and be late for 30 minutes, and what ... get charged? And without any word about it before I made booking.

I am a host too and it never came to my mind to charge anything which I didn't tell guests in advance, BEFORE they finish booking.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

It's totally unreasonable to reveal hidden charges or clauses after you have booked.

Sometimes a journey can be delayed due to traffic, longer time to clear airport exits and so on.

You can't exactly predict with accuracy the minute you will arrive at a destination in your own city and much less in a unfamiliar city.

Even with the best of intentions you need some reasonable leeway.

From a hosts point of view, of course they need to plan a handover of keys however to add on arbitary rules for extra payments after booking is deceitful . At the very least , record your refusal to meet such demands on airbnb messenger, express surprise this clause was not described in the listing and mention this clause in the review.

As for guests who deliberately or thoughtlessly keep hosts waiting for handover, it is a separate debate.

If I rememeber correctly, it is against AirBnB Terms of Service, to add "cash deals" and "extra cost options" that are not mentioned in the actual listing.  Keep all of your AirBnb communications with him, and IF you are late, simply refuse to pay this person, and immediately contact AirBnb.  

Dear Ken,

That is what came to my mind too. I can't imagine that Airbnb would support something like this. If it comes to that, that I would be asked to pay, what exactly can I do? Simply write about it in my review? Writing to Airbnb means writing to whom exactly? I couldn't find any e-mail or other contact of Airbnb ... just this Community ...

You have AirBnB contact details at the bottom of your confirmation for your booking.

What they are doing is wrong and against AirBnB policies. I would suggest that if you are asked for money that you ask them to request it via the platform as all financial transactions have to be done that way. Then you can contact AirBnB and explain that you are being asked for additional payment. (And of course refuse to pay it)

Gerry And Rashid,

Thank you for your comment and your advice.

Dear Elena,

Thank you for your comment.

I saw a lots of listings which say that check-in is from xx till yy PM, and arrival after that time would be charged. And that is correct, crystal clear, guests know in advance.

But such surprise after reservation, 5 euro for each 30 minutes of delay ... I have no words to that.

I sent email to the host immediately, saying that I have no intention to be late but also I have no intention to pay any cent for which I was not informed in advance, that is in case of unexpected and unintentional delay. He didn't answer to that.