Paypal fees

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

Paypal fees

Does anyone know if you are charged any additional fees when using Paypal as a payout method in the US ? I have searched and could not find any information. I was on the phone with Airbnb about my payment method and was cut off.

19 Replies 19

The 3% is only taken from airbnb as it does on all of the payout methods.  The entire amount for the payout shows up in paypal just like it would you bank account with no additional money removed, except it shows up in a few minutes after they send the payout instead of waiting 5 days like with the bank payout method.  

Just and FYI: Make sure your PayPal account is a personal one attached to your checking account. After $10,000 in transactions your debit card can no longer be used for funding must be a verified checking account. IF like @Annette0andEvan and myself you have a Professional Business PayPal account you will be charged. 

Thanks Shawn, this has been really helpful! 

Warmly,

Catherine 🙂

Rahul44
Level 2
West Chester, OH

I have no idea what's what. But I did not have any misfortune with Airbnb payments. I have been hosting for over a year. Airbnb calculates the payout amount at their end for each booking, and I get that exact same amount on my personal PayPal account. Never has PayPal skimmed out anything, so far. Ignorance (without misfortune) was bliss. 

Now, today I just had my first eBay sale using the same PayPal account. And on top of eBay's 10% fees (which are billed as a monthly statement to be paid at a later time), the payout sent by eBay to PayPal was reduced by  2.9%+$0.30 as "PayPal fees". All this plus shipping is costing me upwards of $21 on a $102 sale. **bleep**. How the hell are people managing to sell competitively on eBay? 

I'm looking at this eBay payment, side-by-side with my last Airbib payment, and they are both very similar transactions. Dangerously similar. I had gotten so comfortable with everything on the Airbnb payment front, that I had even stopped checking the PayPal items if they matched Airbnb payout amounts. Now I am afraid. 

Personal payments on PayPal are free of fee. I'm guessing "Airbnb Payments Inc." (the PayPal account that sends us the hosting payout) may be of that nature. I can't explain why else PayPal isn't skimming on the side like they are doing with eBay.

Then again the stucture of the transaction isn't like a personal payment which reads "Money receved". The Aibnb payment reads "Payment received", which is similar to the eBay payment. So my best guess is Airbnb & PayPal cut some sort of a deal. Some amounts from the "3% Airbnb host fees" might be allocated to pay a lumpsum to PayPal, periodically. This eliminates frustration at the host's end, and also a 3% revenue for Airbnb for the hosts who do not use PayPal. As long as they fairly charge every host the 3%, both Airbnb and PayPal benefit. This is the best explanation. 

Taylor141
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I just transferred airbnb income from my paypal account to my personal bank. During the transaction process, I was given the choice to transfer the funds to my checking account FOR FREE, or transfer it to my debit card account FOR A FEE.