Penalty for breaking house rules set for safety and preservation of the neighborhood?

Nicki15
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Penalty for breaking house rules set for safety and preservation of the neighborhood?

Hi all,

I am new to this hosting gig on air bnb.  I wanted to open a conversation up.  Does anyone know if air bnb has fines or a penalty in place for guests who break house rules?  I'm not talking about minor things.  My home is in a very high fire hazard area.  There is dry brush and foilage that surrounds the area.  I have 2 large decks over looking a canyon, one discarded cigertte from a deck could set the area a blaze.  I have a designated smoking area at the house.  I set the area up nicely with chairs and table (on a cement landing). I also placed large water filled coffee cans in the area.  I ask the guests to please use this area to smoke, and ash/discard cigerttes in the water filled coffee cans.  I even expalin why this is so important.  I had a group that littered my decks with cigerettes AND some of them had just been discared and left to burn out.  On my wooden decks!  This really does put the community at risk.  Wild fires are no joke.  It seems to me if guests were penalized for breaking these types of rules, it could help the matter.  It could also help air bnb help us host perserve peace among our neighbors.  Air bnbers should repect the neighborhood as well as keep guests happy in my opinion.  However, it seems that some guests just don't think they need to follow house rules.  So odd to me. It never occured to me to break house rules when I was on the traveller side.  If a host had a rule, I respected it period. No questions asked.

I should note that yes...My rules state "absoletly no smoking on decks".

16 Replies 16

@Nicki15 I like your way of thinking. If someone will smoke he will smoke so it is better if you have a safe area to do it.

I hope your future guests will be smarter about the potential fire hazard but just in case I would advise you to buy few fire extinguishers and place them on visible places.  

Maybe few big signs about fire hazards on the deck would help too.

I would put in my listings house rules that smoking is forbidden but would keep smoking area with water ashtrays just in case 🙂

Md-Mizanur1
Level 10
BSB, Brunei

Dear Nicky

You have received few replies from experience Airbnb host and members you just follow it. My personal opinion you make a notice board in main hall in your house which can read by all the guest. You may translate 2 other language beside english. Another option you put signage for smoking zone or not smoking zone.

If still you fund guest are not following the rules you can review your that particular guest and Airbnb will take necessary action on that particular guest by downgrading their rank and others which you can find in Airbnb members terms & conditions.

Hope in future you may overcome this situations. Happy hosting.

Thank you

Regards

Mizanur