Phone calls and texts from future guests

Answered!
Elizabeth462
Level 2
Lorraine, NY

Phone calls and texts from future guests

Recently I have received phone calls and text messaging from future guests. I personally do not want this. I prefer to communicate soley  through Airbnb messaging. How can I fix this. Thank you

1 Best Answer
Claudiu-Nicolae0
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Sometimes guests do not have an Internet connection or have an unstable Internet connection, or it just might be easier for them to talk directly to a host instead of sending messages. I think there's nothing wrong with guests preferring to call. Because we, as hosts, should be flexible and adapt to the needs of the guests. The only thing, if they have an additional request, it is better to ask them to repeat it in AirBnb messenger. If you don't like, that guests can see your personal number, so you can probably buy a new one and use it exclusively for communication with AirBnb guests.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Elizabeth462  I have had guests do that also. I only respond to them via the AirBnB messaging system unless it's important and warrants a return call. After a few repsonds they usually get the idea, but not always. 

I  like your approach.  I like having an archive of communications on the app.  Thanks.

Elizabeth462
Level 2
Lorraine, NY

Thank you. I'm not sure how they get the number because I don't remember saying it was ok for Airbnb to give it out.

@Elizabeth462  What ever phone number you gave AirBnB when you listed is given to the guests after booking. Nothing you can do about it. Sometimes a guest has no choice, but to call or text when traveling if they have no internet to access the AirBnB messaging system so they do actually need to have it. 

Elizabeth462
Level 2
Lorraine, NY

Thank you, good to know! 

Claudiu-Nicolae0
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

Sometimes guests do not have an Internet connection or have an unstable Internet connection, or it just might be easier for them to talk directly to a host instead of sending messages. I think there's nothing wrong with guests preferring to call. Because we, as hosts, should be flexible and adapt to the needs of the guests. The only thing, if they have an additional request, it is better to ask them to repeat it in AirBnb messenger. If you don't like, that guests can see your personal number, so you can probably buy a new one and use it exclusively for communication with AirBnb guests.

Well,  that's very ablest of you as well as the guest,  isn't it?

Primary messaging should be in the Messaging Center.  Any guest who calls me before a reservation,  is getting a 3.

Elizabeth462
Level 2
Lorraine, NY

I'm flexible, but my cell service is poor for phone calls as we live right snack dab in the forest.

Lorna23
Level 2
Surrey, Canada

I had my landline listed, and people were texting, which don't come through. Airbnb should have a place to state that. I don't want to give out my cell number, as I am often in areas with no service. I removed my phone number, and only give it out after I get a booking, and tell them no texts. 

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Airbnb directs that primary communications be in the Messaging Center,  which I generally expect experienced ABBers to know.   I emphazise this in communications to new ABBers,  and direct guests to Message,  text,  and call in that order-- the latter,  only in cases of urgency.  

My materials also attempt to make it clear that the ABB app is essential.

This is non-negotiable:   the length of a single call from a guest times my billing rate is often the profit on a reservation.   Messages I can deal with and prioritize -- phone calls are in fact just going to get routed to a transcription service and skimmed if they are not very brief,  which they usually aren't.

I think @Claudiu-Nicolae0 's answer is terrible, and wonder how many people really don't have reliable internet service and are using ABB?   Maybe 1 in 200 guests,  in my experience,  and those who call are missing something and feel entitled-- to my time an attention in ways that are inappropriate.

This is 2019,  the Internet is the primary means of communications,  and the Messaging Center is the normal,  required means of communication on ABB.  Period.

The way you avoid this is by spelling it out,  clearly communicating expectations,   and enforing them politely but firmly.

Raspberries to the first-timer guest who didn't read my entry instructions, ignored everything else I sent,   and woke me at 4am in Jerusalem,  followed by more clueless entitlement and expecting me to be a hotel/conceirge.   That's an automatic 1-star on conformance to House Rules,  and review to reflect.

That guest made me realize you must get positive acknowledgment of Rules from guests,  then test for actual comprehension-- that they're not my eight-year-old saying yes to get me to stop bugging them.

Finally,  there is an issue of abelist assumptions here,  and as ABB policy also states,  there should be no assumption on either side,  that parties are able to make or take phone calls.