Prejudices and stereotypes are melting .... and we love it :)

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Prejudices and stereotypes are melting .... and we love it :)

Do you remember that feeling, maybe on the begining of your hosting journey, when your loving place was instant booked by 4 young guys? 🙂 Maybee they are from Turkey... or Romania.... or English backpackers... or DJ-s.... or some unconventional artists...? Maybe they were new on ABB, without any review? And you thought OOOMG ! 😞 What will I find after checkout??? 

And then they go and your place is super clean and tidy and your flowers were watered? 🙂

Then you get a booking from two middleage ladies from USA.... or a family from Austria ....  and you were happy happy... until they check out and you had to clean. Or repair. And read their review. 😞

Ooo yes... hosting is full of surprises ...  It's good to trust your gut but not to prejudice. We were pleasantly surprised so many times ... and today again, so I just had to share it 🙂 

21 Replies 21

I was sooooo nervous when I started. I thought everyone was going to kill me at night and steal everything. I misplaced my grandmother's quilt once and emailed the last three quests to ask if they "accidently took it" . I found it in my old truck one morning, forgetting that I brought it with me for a picture shoot of my truck. 

I think you will be nervous at first. It takes about 3 guests to get into your grove. 

I googled "Airbnb American phone number customer service" and I call occassionally to ask questions. They have always been very helpful and will call the guests if something needs attention. 

Be you! I am a nurse and caring for people, socializing comes natural. Advertise that!! That is the kind of people you will draw to your home. I will never draw the business man in a suite because I have a vintage camper with birch walls in my frontyard/driveway. I advertise that I am one mile from the interstate and offer a safe place to sleep or a neighborhood for walking. There is a park two houses away. I advertise the amenities I have...this is camping! 

And, the few things I was nervous about (someone from Saudi Arabia) quickly diminished once they were here and I met them. I also advertise that drivers licenses will be verified upon arrival. I photo copy or write down their number and put that paper in a file folder labeled Airbnb. 

Just be wise. Advertise that ONLY registered guests may stay on the property. No others may show to "hang out"!! That will prevent a TON of problems. And, if you live on the property, the likelihood of the guests interacting and "behaving" goes up. 

I am a host and stayed at a place recently in Miami. When the lady making breakfast for the family offered coffee I accepted. The host spoke to her in Spanish and then told me, "I am sorry. We don't have coffee". I have thought about that experience over and over. That is NOT the way I handle my guests. I offer them (if I am also making it and have it available) coffee or grits, etc. One group ate shrimp boil with us and friends on the deck of the pool. Each guest will be uniquely different and your human experience between each guest will be special. -Start a journal for your guests. Leave it at the bedside or on a table. Ask them to write something. I have had guests write in Arabic, Korean, etc. 

My motto in the house is to treat people like I do with nursing.....it's kind of a natural thing for me. 

Enjoy the experience. The benefits are soooo beyond money! 

Thank you! I'm renting out the whole condo so I won't be there. I hope ppl are respectful. I do believe people are inherently good so I generally attract that. Just a new experience makes me nervous. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Carla200

In the same way you can prevent vampires to get close to you by carrying garlic in your pockets and having always a mirror at hand 🙂  ... In my opinion there is way to have the highest probability of having good guest as the vast majority of them!

So, if I may offer some advice, I strongly recommend having three rules available in your house rules!
The guest have to read and agree with house rules before confirming a reservation via Airbnb.

Few rules are enough!

1- No parties or events allowed.
2- It may not exceed the number of people stipulated at the time of booking. (Alternatively you can state - No other guests or visitors beyond the one/s that have registered.)
3- Checkin and checkout time
4- Take care of the apartment/house as if it were your home.

It is pretty difficult that a potential bad guest will accept these rules.
Moreover, if any guest break the rules, according to Airbnb the bad guest will have to leave the property at once and you will not have to reimburse the guest.

I must say that, so far, I have never had to ask some guest to leave early then expected.

To finish, you can always set a refundable security deposit to cover any damage to the property.

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Branka-and-Silvia0 great subject! 

I usually resist on stereotypes, but I also have to admit that I might had a few, which I watched them melting during my first months of hosting. However, I have built new ones ... I am kidding! 

My biggest surprises came in reviews and especially ratings. Some people seemed very extroverted and friendly and they finally gave me low ratings (they never mentioned why) and some guests who seemed more demanding and more closed persons, they wrote wonderful reviews and gave 5-star ratings. Has anyone had a similar experience? 

In this thread, you will find how to Contact Airbnb!

If you want to see my listings, here they are:

Diamond Home 1

Diamond Home 2

Diamond Penthouse

Ira, 

I think that comes with the territory. I have had good reviews and the one I was surprised with said that she couldn't cook on the stove in the camper and she wanted to cook. Although, I provide a griddle, toaster, toaster oven, microwave, perfect waffle maker, crock pot, as well as my kitchen inside!! 

Overall, it's all good! 

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Branka-and-Silvia0 By the way, after reading your list, I started worrying that my kitchens may not be really fully equipped, so I bought this 😛 😛 😛  I really did, it costed one euro. 

IMG_20170310_222239.jpg

@Ira4 

we have it too LOL 😄