Problem with Airbnb Host Guarantee: hosts beware!!

Answered!
Valentina32
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

Problem with Airbnb Host Guarantee: hosts beware!!

Dear Hosts,

I have been a host for many years and recently found myself in a situation where a group of guests caused considerable damage to my property.

I submitted my request to Airbnb on time and according to guidelines and after two weeks of back and forth where Airbnb asked me to provide a sizeable amount of documents to prove the damage, I was told that my Host Guarantee payment request had been declined as it was not possible to determine the guest's liability for the damages.

This is more than disappointing  as it means that unless you can prove your guest was directly responsible for the damage (by taking a picture of the damage while it is happening? by installing CCTVs in your property?) Airbnb will not cover you. When I raised this point I was told that they are sorry but Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with regard to these disputes.

What this tells me is that the Airbnb Host Guarantee is not exactly what they lead us to believe and the deposit they hold for you (which should be held on your behalf exactly for situations like this one) is little more than a joke.

I do not feel as safe leaving my house in the hands of strangers which could damage it without consequences.

Please be careful and assume that Airbnb will not cover for your damages and take extra precautions to protect your property.

If anyone else had similar experiences please share!

Valentina

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

219 Replies 219

I assure you that being a superhost is no protection from being treated badly by this Dept. My apartment was thrashed by a small group. I submitted several requests, the last being within the time limit set by the representative for $400, which was toally ignored. I was told case closed, with no further reply. Does anyone know if an appeals process exists?

But if you guys raise your prices, airbnb makes more money!  I'm thinking of charging an additional fee that gets paid directly to me even if it's raising the cleaning fee and keeping the extra in an account for future damages?? Beyond frustrated with this process.   

Most claims would not fall under the Host Guarantee. They would be under the Security Deposit for minor damage. I had a group of girls stay in my Guesthouse, sort of like a slumber party. Apparently they were all on the Queen bed and one of them started their period. Blood soaked thru the sheets, and bed pad. Lucky it did not soak into mattress. I took pictures of the sheets & pad. Also, went to Ross and took photos of replacements with their price. Made the claim with the allotted time. Someone from ABB contacted me via email. First, they want you to work out with guest, and if that can't be done, then they will step in. As you can probably guess, the girl didn't want to take responsibility and gave me instructions on how to remove blood stains. Something she should have done and then apologized to me. First, they were not going to side with me, then after I protested a bit, they finally agreed on a lessor amount. A hassle for sure. This is exactly why I try to screen all my guests to make sure I'm renting to mature and responsible guests. Now here is the dilemma, I had raised my prices a bit and got a few bookings. Their smart pricing is not a gage for any individual area, so I don't follow it. However, kept getting messages saying two people viewed my listing for the month(s) of****** and they booked somewhere else for $34/nt less. First I will not lower my price any further I have been a SuperHost for what that's worth since they introduced it, with over 140 glowing reviews. They keep asking me to sign up for "instant book" which I refuse to do for many reasons, but the main one is I want to decide who stays at my property. I have been listed with ABB since 2013 and have had mostly wonderful guests. Everything was going just ok until this year. This year must of my rentals have been repeat bookings from guests that rented from me in the past. More & more people are being pressured to use "instant book" and to lower their price. When I checked my listing tonight on the App. it said:' low listing appeal' in red. I am now considering taking the listing down and using another service.

What other servie is there?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The problem with the Host Guarantee is that the 'Guarantee' part is not true, at all. They will not nor should they guarantee human behavior. The fact is they can only guaranteed the guest is a registered human with society (some form of ID). Its like the old 'satisfaction guarantee'  or 'lifetime guarantee' marketing ploys, they sunk big companies, they proved to be  too easily abused. So what does Airbnb do? They continue to use this marketing scheme but fight every claim tooth and nails; a massive waist of time and massive amount of bad will with hosts.

Hotels are furnished with simple, generic, tough and minimal amount of furnishing and offer limited options. They have it down to a science. It is hard to 'trash' a hotel room. Conversely, a private home is the total opposite where a million things can break or go infinitely wrong and do.  The host is also not an expert in preventing potetial problems, especially when he is falsely relying  on guaranteed protection against any and all guest misbehavior or mistakes.

There is also the current emphasis Airbnb shows not to hurt their relationship with guests, sometimes at all cost, who are their primary cash cow, especially a repeat client.

This feature should be dropped altogether and replaced with a ~true~ deposit system like is done by other entities.

Agree Fred! Well Said the "host Guarantee" needs to be replaced with a new deposit system!

I find the "peace of mind" slogan they use to be quite ironic as well! 

Sean192
Level 2
Lyman, ME

Agree. I have had several minor things broken and no one would admit to the damage. Airbnb continued to tell me I could bill the customer for the cost, but they - Im sure - wouldnt pay the bill. I would make a complaint to Airbnb and just be told (as you all have) that they deny breaking it so they cant force them to pay. I cant seek them to be banned or removed from Airbnb as a result because they deny doing it. It's a no win process.

I have had the same issues when the person calling me back LONG after they should (and Im a super host). I would be asked the same questions. Like they forgot who the heck I was and yet WE spoke before, I have a head injury from Army days, and even I can remember the conversations.

The experience with guests are mostly a 10 of 10. My experience with Airbnb help center is overall a 1 or 2 of 10. They get a 1 or 2 simply because they called or emailed back. Late and it didnt help, but they do get back. I think they delay the reply in hopes we forget or give up. Same tactic the VA used with vets claiming on service connected disability.

Sad.

I ref people to Airbnb for the fun, but warn them to protect themselves.

I have cameras that cover my entire property and inside home EXCEPT the guest room and bathroom. They are all told this. Ironic - all the damage has been in those areas and GUESTS are the ONLY people using it. Hmmmm

Totally agree Sean.

All we can do is give those guests a bad review but you can be assured they will then make something up about you not being a good host or the house not being what they expected so it's a no win situation!

Jill124
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I would like to know why my recent booking, which I have accepted does not have a profile photo? Does this mean that the guest has not provided a photo and has not been properly vetted and provided  their ID etc?

Yes you are correct.

It may also mean the guest has provided a photo, but Airbnb has chosen not to show it because of some new social 'experimentation' or 'test', take your pick. Airbnb is prone to sudden mood swings to boot.

Jon16
Level 3
Victoria, Australia

This particular incident is disturbing - but it is really more than that; it is a sympton of the disconnect between the "enitity" Airbnb and all of us, the enitity is just a machine, feed in info - digested and pooped out but very little action.

If you have a problem and pursue an outcome - you can be hit with "you are breachingh our rules" by talking. By seeking help, not getting it, seeking resolution and not getting any by stating that the very weak gutted fools would like then to cut you off.

Latest is the change to weekly price setting. Monthly Price setting, that function no longer appears - I just lost $1000 on a summer holiday venue because between my last look at that and now the function is erased - I spent 8 or 9 hours per day here - 35 properties.

Have you noticed it takes 5 clicks to go from Inbox to "Reservations" now - whereas before it was one click.

Airbnb fuss about things that do not actually concern a Corporation - matters that are human are our decisions - instead focus should be on attending to the needs of their clients - The Hosts.

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Airbnb are **bleep**.  The premise of the Airbnb is on performance/reviews of the hosts/guests and yet their performance is utter **bleep**.  Anyone else see the irony?

Rachel419
Level 1
March, United Kingdom

Would a signed itinerary, with a clause that the property have no specific danger help in this type of situation? 

Im new to this and a little wary of damage 😬