Pros/Cons of an LLC for airbnb property in distant city?

Pros/Cons of an LLC for airbnb property in distant city?

Greetings,

I'm interested in purchasing a property to airbnb that is located across the country. It will be a 2br /2ba. I have a property manager. I was curious, is it more hassle to put the property as an LLC? Or do the pros far outweigh the cons? Thank you for your time!

Best,
Frank
3 Replies 3
Leslie0
Level 6
Santa Monica, CA

It's always a hassle to try to manage any property from a distance even if you have a property manager. I don't recommend it.

Why would you airbnb it vs. owning it as income property - meaning renters who have a lease or stay a minimum of a month at a time. As far as I know, (but I am not an expert) anywhere across the US, buying a private home and turning it into a short term rental property is illegal - LLC or not. If it is a cabin in a resort town that might be different. I would ask an accountant and a lawyer to find a solid answer.

Lisa107
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

This is the reason that Airbnb is getting so much grief from the city and why they are proposing new laws to regulate everyone who homeshares. Please, do us all a favor and rent out your property to regular long-term local renters.