Prostitution

Answered!
Justin144
Level 1
New York, NY

Prostitution

I've encountered several instances where i've put my apartment up for rent and after some research it becomes apparant that some last-minute bookings are being made by prostitutes.

I've come to this conclusion after cross-checking their stories and asking questions about odd arrival times and wide-gaps between message response time.

I understand it's not right to accuse someone of this, but how can i decline a booking based on the fact that i've become uncomfortable with the guest without violating discrimination policies.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

38 Replies 38

@Linda1222 of cause its a f#@*ing concern :-)))) !!!  Prevention is here the key.!

Lok through my "house rules" (copy what you like). Even I have my settings open for one night bookings (BUT with 2 days notice)

NO ONE ever would try this with me after reading my house rules. In your case I don't need Airbnb CS,

this would be trespassing and I call 911! I try to scare away the "crazy ones"

BEFORE they book, and regular guests don't have a problem with my tight rules (my booking rate is close to 100%)...

Also helpful:

- Outside cameras (or a good dummy) and have it in your description.

Here example out of my HR's:

- Be aware of all "House Rules" as part of the contract.
- The booking guest needs to have a fully verified account (ID, Email and Phone-Nr.) and to register EVERY person staying at our house with full name at day of booking but not later than 5 days upon arrival. Ignoring this rule will result in cancellation. 
- ONLY with full name registered guests are allowed on the property. (short visual ID check at arrival)

- Between 12pm and 5pm: Essentials will be checked on daily base and the host will vacuum guest space / remove garbage every 2nd day.

- ALL guests have to TRAVEL (from outside NYC) or fly and check-in/arrive TOGETHER.
- We are NOT HOSTING NYC LOCAL'S without explicit written agreement.
- NO LOCAL MEET-UP'S AND STAYING OVER with any persons not previously registered/booked and agreed by host.

- Changes or adjustments of listed "House Rules" has to be agreed by host in writing via Airbnb App.

- It is mutually agreed that any violation of house rules will terminate the rental contract and the host can/will takeover the guest-space. In this case, the guest(s) will get a refund as of Airbnb policy and waives all rights to stay.

Giedre & Andre - Thank you so much for posting these rules - it is so helpfuL!

Hi Linda, this happened to me a few weeks ago. You could have easily proved her actions.

All that I needed to do to prove this was have my friend text message her that he wanted to arrange a meeting. She ofcourse replied and replied with the address to our listing. I then sent the screen shot to airbnb trust team. I also gave them links to her advertisements found on google. She was removed shortly thereafter and airbnb refunded me the cost of sheets the cost to have the place professionally cleaned.

If this ever happens to you again, now you know what to do.

Linda1222
Level 3
Newport News, VA

THANK YOU!!!! Well said. And, I did take your house rules for my own. I am much obliged. A thousand thanks!! LOVE your place. 🙂

@Linda1222,  you welcome... We need to "home-switch" your place also beautiful!

One more point often discussed here in forums:

Guest asking for discount (because guest states he is for example "low maintenance"...)

Depending on situation I'm open if it makes sense (for some hosts discounts is a "no-go")

BUT I never would give upfront!!!

AND whatever they write, they do or not do, IS PART OF CONTRACT ;-)))

If everything went 100% and all is FINISHED (including reviews), guest and host are happy,

I would refund the agreed $amount...

Short story from yesterday:

Guest from NYC (opening/request was already OFF)

Hi,
I will be there Tmrw at 2pm .

ME:

Thanks for your request.
You will have a great time!

To finalize your booking,
please submit mandatory trip information and
reply to the questions from
"automated welcome message" here in copy:

"...Thanks for staying with us, you will have a great time and
we hope to welcome you soon here in Brooklyn!
What brings you to the area?
When do you think you’ll arrive?
Who are you coming with? Please provide (full) name(s) of all guests traveling with you or coming to our house..."

Usually we are not hosting "NYC locals" without
explicit written agreement. BUT nothing is written in stone.
Please explain short the situation.

Guest:

Hi Giedre&Andre,
I’m local , I live in Brooklyn.
I am a beginner photographer and just love your place.
Please let me know if it’s ok to shoot in your place . It’s just gonna be one model / my friend .
I don’t need to stay over night .
I was thinking to come on Tuesday to see the place and get the key and then come on Wednesday morning for 3-4 hours for shoot.
If you could charge me less for that time I will really appreciate it
You can check my IG nixxxxxe__
If you like.
Thanks

ME:

Thanks for clarification!
Here the deal:
- I will be home (upstairs)
- You can come tomorrow to see the location/room
- If everything went well after your 4H shooting, and there is no cleanup/laundry to do (other than vacuuming) I grant you a refund of cleaning fee.
- Check-Out not later than 11/21/18 - 12pm
- The refund will be granted after a "no problem" checkout and finalized review-process.
- Please submit full name(s) of every person coming to our property, included your model.
- Your message from 10:45 and this message is in addition to the house rules, part of the rental contract.

Please reply with name of person coming with you
and "agree" and I will finalize your request.

Fair? I'm open for feedback.
CU, Andre

Guest:

NO REPLY :-))))))) LoL

Me (after 3H wait):

Sorry, we can't accept your request.

Oh my gosh!! What a pain. I need to take notes! I don't think I will have the same problems b/c I am not dealing with NYC, but nevertheless, I have already encountered things I didn't suspect! YES, I would adore trading off sometime! Keep in touch. Thanks again! You can message me if you have anymore great advice (and I can provide direct contact info I would assume.) THANK YOU!!

Kenneth-And-Lilia0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

My solution was easy.  My rules CLEARLY state, "No local guests".  Keeps the hookers and the transients from booking

Michael3406
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Over two years of renting our apartment and first time evicting a suspected prositute with 3 police officers behind me.  They wanted to hear me ask her to leave before they forced her to leave.    Airb&b had called her "boyfriend" and confirmed she would be gone by 4pm. When I got home from work.  I couldn't believe she was still in the apartment and so called the police.

My lesson learned is no last minute reservations from someone without a review and without a profile picture (her pimp).    Its just I've never had a problem before.  I also  need to trust my gut instinct and should have gotten rid of her 2 nights earlier.  I just kept debating with myself that it was fine or that I had no proof and that there was a language barrier (she was Francophone).

Anyway, when the cops came and helped evict, I inspected and there was dozens of condoms spreadout and lots of stained sheets / towels.  The police confirmed 100% prostitution.  All in my quiet little neighbourhood.

@Michael3406  Yeah, it's quite enlightening to find out what actually goes on in quiet little neighborhoods. I had a friend who worked on the crisis line and a lot of the calls she got were quite shocking- like a 14 year old calling in to say his mother brought men home and made him and his brother have sex with her and the men. When she asked him where he went to school, he told her the name of the school he used  to go to, until his mother pulled both him and his brother out of school. Same school my kids went to, so this was happening right in my nice little neighborhood.

@Michael3406

The proof would have been easy to obtain if just thought creatively. Happened to me before and I was easily able to prove it without much effort. Just takes the slightest bit of creativity.

I was able to get her to leave my property very quickly with airbnb's help and they also closed her account. It looked like she did this with 6-8 other hosts before me. But nobody seemed clever enough to prove it.

Felipe665
Level 2
Antioquia, CO

I totally disagree that Airbnb is the place for people who want to do what they want, the places have to be respected or this is my point of view, many people are confusing Airbnb as a platform to do what in A hotel is not allowed because I don't think it is here either and that we deserve more support from Airbnb staff.

To be honest I dont see why people are getting upset. Whats the difference between a prostitute meeting someone to have sex or someone going to the bar and picking up someone and has sex, or a couple meeting for a romantic getaway and has sex. And before you try to use the high and mighty I am better than you excuse "its against the law"know this, its not considered illegal if someone charges money to spend time with someone and they just happen to have sex as two consenting adults. Which is a technicality but it tells you where the law stands when it comes to this subject. So my advise is to whoever is offended, or repulsed by this is, get off your high horses, stop concerning yourself in things that's not your business and be thankful you received the income.                                     And to @Sean433 I really doubt that it would be that simple but if you actually  did have a friend that didn't laugh at you and tell you to get a life when you asked them to text this person I seriously doubt that the person would have said anything in a text that would provide AirBnB with the proof they would need to do all the things you say  they did. You cant get AirBnB to reimburse you if someone trashes the house yet they are going to pay for you to deep clean a house because someone was paid to have sex in the house As ESPN likes to say C'MON MAN.

@Sam397 

Sam, you sound like a guy that loves his prostitutes. There are many of those circulating on airbnb. Since it isn't a big deal, why don't you advertise that you are open to prostitutes bringing over 10 or more guys a day/night to your home and then burn the sheets every time you host a prostitute? You ask, what is the difference between a prostitute and a regular guest bringing a date? So many!! The prostitute will host several men a night. That is several liablities in your home. Second, all of those men will know your address including perhaps her pimp. Would you like a few of those men coming by a week or month later when you have a new guest there and knock on the door expecting the prostitute to be there? Or how about a neighbour noticing suspicious action and reporting it?

Actually it just took 2 text messages for the low IQ prostitute to reveal the address of our airbnb and that was all the evidence needed. She was off the platform later that day. If you want to do business, do it somewhere else. Not at at place I manage. It is on me.  I think you are even more stupid than the prostitute who booked my airbnb. In addition to one of her customers leaving a dent in the wall, we had to throw away all sheets and I had to take time out of my day to get new ones. Who needs that?

Mark-and-Nyomie0
Level 6
Thrumster, Australia

So pleased to find this thread! We have a booking coming in a month for a single female who has booked our two bedroom apartment for three nights over holiday weekend. She asked in her instant book message if we have air con or fans. Being suspicious I asked her to confirm if it was just one guest and she said yes, providing no other details. There is a prostitution licence in same surname but male first name in her home state. My gut instinct is telling me this is dodgy. Have contacted AirBnB re this reservation but am tempted to wear the penalties for cancelling on the chance of it. It’s a quiet residential area and would be a security issue along with a bad reputation with neighbours. Your thoughts? 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Mark-and-Nyomie0 Is it in your house rules, that NO unbooked guests or visitors are allowed? And that the property is not to be used for business transactions? If not, do this! Then message her, has she understood the house rules. Do you live near enough to monitor if anyone else is entering the building? If so, you can terminate her booking as soon as you spot unauthorised guests.

- Your neighbours ARE a top priority, & it's reasonable to want to protect them from this.