Racist Guests

Racist Guests

Just happened today: 

My first 4* overall rating (out of 66/5*), guest is pointing out in his review that my place is in

Jewish/Caribbean Brooklyn neighbourhood.

All other than bad location review, is 5* (over all: 4*)

AND I got "compliment" for everything but "lokal tips" :-0

Because they are Jewish and Jamaican Restaurants, Eateries and Bakeries?????

...I immediately reported to Airbnb! Lets see what happents...

44 Replies 44
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I think there is no grounds for racism accusation. Terms to define neighborhood such as  "chinatown" and "little italy" are also very usual. Maybe it was just an informative comment, and it will help you to get guests that are interested in your location.

In my opinion, It is not a good idea to "tell off" a guest because he gave you 4-star, like you did when answering their review. Other potential guests will read it and will feel somewhat afraid of booking your listing.  They will think... I will have to love the stay otherwise I may fall into disgrace...

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I have to agree with everyone else. Nothing in the review seems racist, they are simply pointing to the neighborhood you're located in. Saying something like "This is in the ghetto" or "There were a lot of  Jews in the neighborhood"....THAT would be racist. But it appears they are just using terms to describe the neighborhood that would be used by the very ethnicities that live there.

An observation of the ethnic aspects of a neighborhood is not something I'd consider racist unless it clearly includes some sort of negative implication which shows personal bias. 

Even if there is a racist comment or even an outright lie, leaving a ranty reply is never a good idea.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 @Suzanne302 @J-Renato0 @City-Limits-Ranch0 @Alexandra316 

I like to see this simple:

If you go out for Dinner to a 5* rated
(not in average 5* ALL guests left a 5*)
steakhouse and you write a review:

- The menu had Beef and Pork
- The company was excellent
- Everything was Sparkling clean
- Restaurant Outstanding hospitality
Thoughtful touches
Quick responses from our server
Stylish space
- Great Value
- Great Check in
- We had great communication
- The place was Exact as advertised
FAZIT: I don't like the food. And overall I don't like the restaurant.

There is nothing objective wrong to find in a specific line of this review.
Most likely the guest is just a VEGETARIAN who DON'T LIKE MEET ;-))))))
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Unfortunately I couldn't get past the word 'lokal'; little things do tend to freeze-up my mind. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Giedre-and-Andre0    Saying it's in the heart of Brooklyn in the Jamaican/Jewish neighborhood is not the least bit racist, it's a statement of fact, and actually sounds like they are recommending it. Your response was nasty and vindictive. You can't be MAD at guests just because they leave a 4* overall.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Giedre-and-Andre0  My response to this post is identical to the one that @Sarah977 wrote a couple of minutes ago.  Total and utter nonsense on your part to suggest that mentioning that the area is in the Jewish/Caribbean  part of Brooklyn is racist when it is merely confirming the ethnicity of the area.  Your response to getting a 4 star review comes across as spiteful, nasty and totally unnecessary.  Bad move  on  your part.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Giedre-and-Andre0 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Alexandra316 @Fred13 @Ange2

@Giedre-and-Andre0 Gee guys...I think you are drawing a long bow here! I have a lot of empathy for hosts who have been unfairly dealt with in the review system but my feeling is you guys are way off the mark here....seriously!

1/. Here is 'racist' guests review......André and Giedre are very attentive hosts. Flat conform to the photos missing just a little natural light at 10/15 minutes from the 1st Metro. Located in the heart of Brooklyn in the Jamaican / Jewish neighborhood.  Can someone please tell me what is racist about that!! What exactly should they have said....the Multi-cultural neighbourhood! To call that review 'racist' I am sorry but that is dreadful!

2/. Here was your review of the 'racist' guest......Very nice couple!!! Easy going and busy exploring the City and Brooklyn. We are glad they had a good time. Highly recommended to future hosts! And THANKS for leaving the apartment in PERFECT shape!!!  Sounds like there was nothing 'racist' about Romain's group at that point!

3/. Now, all of a sudden in your review response comes this.....What th!!!!......Future hosts be aware: Very hard to please! The ONE AND ONLY guests out of 66 reviews who gave 4* for "overall experience" after staying at our accommodation.  If you are going to carry on like this whenever someone gives you a good review but deprives you of a 5 star, you are going to make a heap of enemies. 

My hope is that Romain is aware that he can leave a public response to your review and that he points out that.....'In hindsight I may have possibly misjudged the host, I never felt I was a racist and rather resent being refered to as one!'   I have a **bleep** good mind to track down Romain and tell him that!

I tell you what....every day teaches me something...WOW

Rob!

Hi @Robin4 and @Sarah977...

I want to reply to you as I totally respect your opinion here and also in other forums I follow.
First of all, Rob I assure you, your daughter would be more than welcome in our house! 

Please give me your very honest thoughts how this review would sit with you?:

- Rob / Sarah was a great host
- Her house is located in the middle of a LGBT community / Mexican neighbourhood
- Communication 5*
- Check in 5*
- Cleanliness 5*
- Accuracy 5*
- Vallue 5*
Additional notes:
- Sparkling clean
- Thoughtful touches
- Outstanding hospitality
- Quick response
- Stylish space
- Amazing amenities

Fazit:
Location 3*
Overall 4* 
Additional critic: Location and Local tips

And yes, I agree, I was mad yesterday.
I still believe that the review is "off".
I think, there is a difference between:

"...The House is located in a
LGBT community or
Mexican neighbourhood or
Jewish and Caribbean neighbourhood
We had a good time..." (or some critic points)

OR

LGBT community or
Mexican neighbourhood or
EVERYTHING was 5* but LOCATION, SOFOR WE COULDN'T ENJOY OUR STAY IN FULL ..."

And yes, I gave them a honest and great review on given point and time.
I didn't change my mind, they left apartment in great shape.
They seemed super nice.
We picked them up at arrival from train station at 9pm.
They stayed last day till 6pm (checkout is 11am)
They had a dinner night with us and friends.

BUT

Mentioning (pointing out) a
Gay/Mexican/Black/Jewish community
in combination with leaving a bad location review is more than questionable.
For me it sounds like a warning to other guests.
And my response was "be aware, guests are hard to please"

Also FYI: my block is one of very few "green" streets on Brooklyn's
crime map.

What I totally regret:
My headline is a step to much! It should be something
like: "Here a review and my thoughts, please tell me what you think"

I'm open for your feedback.
Thanks, Andre
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robin4  But she didn't mention anything about him being racist in her public response,  just that he gave 4*s.  She's only claiming that what he wrote was racist here, and in reporting him to Airbnb, I assume in the hopes that they'll remove the 4* review. This is one of the few instances where I'd be happy to see Airbnb ignore a host's communication.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977

Sarah, there is every probability that Romain may see this here or will be alerted to it by some other CC user that knows him.

I am appaled that there are people who make public statements like this whether it is directly to the person concerned or not....and all because a hosts 4 star came along.

I shudder to think how these people would go with my gay daughter....I would lay a bet she would come in for a bit of stick!

Cheers......Rob

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Even mentioning in a review response that the guest gave you 4* when all the other guests have given 5* is unbelievably tacky and childish.

Rebecca0
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I'm adding my voice to those saying it is very very wrong to accuse these guests of being racist.  Why would you even think that someone mentioning the character of the neighbourhood is "racist"??  It reveals a lot about you, I'm afraid to say.

Regarding the 4*, it is rare for the French (also the Dutch) to give 5*.   It's a cultural thing.  I realise this is probably a provocative statement but I've seen it discussed many times on various hosting forums. French hosts suggested that it's linked to the schooling/university system where perfect scores are never given so it's sort of ingrained into them.   On the rare occasion that I've received 5* from a French guest, I've done a little whoop-de-whoop dance!

Yes, I agree, I was mad yesterday.
I still believe that the review is "off".
I think, there is a difference between:

LGBT community or
Mexican neighbourhood or
We had a good time..." (or some critic points)

OR

LGBT community or
Mexican neighbourhood or
EVERYTHING was 5* but LOCATION, SOFOR WE COULDN'T ENJOY OUR STAY IN FULL ..."

We picked them up at arrival from train station at 9pm.
They stayed last day till 6pm (checkout is 11am)
They had a dinner night with us and friends.

BUT

Mentioning (pointing out) a
Gay/Mexican/Black/Jewish community
in combination with leaving a bad location review is more than questionable.
For me it sounds like a warning to other guests.
And my response was "be aware, guests are hard to please"

Also FYI: My block is one of very few "green" streets on Brooklyn's
crime map.

What I totally regret:
My headline is a step to much! It should be something
like: "Here a review and my thoughts, please tell me what you think"

I'm open for your feedback.
Thanks, Andre

OK, I'm seeing your point now.  It does seem a little off that they marked you down for location when you got 5 for everything else (apart from overall) and then mentioned it in the review.  Sorry not to have read your previous posts more thoroughly.   It would leave a bad taste in my mouth too.   

There's nothing to be done about it, though, except to call CS and ask them to remove your reply to the review (I seriously suggest you do that) and also ask one of the moderators on here to edit the title of the thread?