Reasons NOT to buy gift card for Airbnb

Answered!
Dennis139
Level 6
New York, NY

Reasons NOT to buy gift card for Airbnb

My kids bought us $300 in Airbnb gift cards as our Christmas gift, knowing that we will be making a trip soon with my sister-in-law and her husband.  We selected an Airbnb  and my sister-in-law booked the unit, paid her share, and set it up allowing for split payment.  When I tried to pay my share with the gift cards, I was told they could see the money in my account profile, but I could not use it. 

Only the person who makes the initial booking can use a coupon, but the system is set up so that it will not allow the second person in the group payment plan to pay with a gift card.  This is illogical; what is the difference between the first and second party that one user can use the gift cards and the other cannot?  They see the cash in my account.   

Now my kids spent money for me to use towards my accomodations for my trip; Airbnb sees and acknowledges it, but won't let me use it.  This restriction is not divulged to the user.  Who knows what other limitations there are?  Now it is just sitting in my account until I book another trip; maybe in a year if I'm lucky.  It would have been a better gift if I just paid with my credit card and my kids reimbursed me.  If we had known this, they would have not bought it, or at the very least, I would have made sure I booked it instead of my sister-in-law. 

Do not buy Airbnb gift cards for yourself or anyone else!  There is no benefit to it!!!  Why let Airbnb hold on to your money?  Now I have lost the use of my kids' gift money.   We just gave it away to Airbnb to hold and use however they want indefinitely.  Regular credit card companies will send you a check if you have a credit balance in your account after a period of time.  I doubt that Airbnb will let me have my credit balance back ever.  What a gimmick.  Don't fall victim.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

114 Replies 114
Jim466
Level 1
Farrell, PA

While I do not understand WHY they have this policy, it is not hidden. It's very clearly laid out on this page titled: how-do-airbnb-gift-cards-work

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/981/how-do-airbnb-gift-cards-work

Gift card funds can’t be used to pay for the following:

• Reservation of 28 nights or more
  • Changes to existing reservations
  • The second payment, if you choose to pay with the pay less upfront option

It is scam, The giftcard is money in your account, you should be able to use it PERIOD.

Tim666
Level 2
El Dorado Hills, CA

Welcome to their scam. 

They do this intentionally.  Here's a great write-up on how/why they are doing it.  They are holding on to our money.

https://www.blogger.com/u/1/blogger.g?blogID=6905234989813025462#editor/target=post;postID=740067323...

@Tim666 

That link isn't viewable (at least, not for me!) Is there anywhere else to see the write-up?

Tim666
Level 2
El Dorado Hills, CA

Thieves. I wonder how much money is in their bank that belongs to us.

They do this intentionally.  Here's a great write-up on how/why they are doing it.  They are holding on to our money.

https://www.blogger.com/u/1/blogger.g?blogID=6905234989813025462#editor/target=post;postID=740067323...

the issue is that I never was alerted that I was making a reservation, supposedly titled "pay less upfront" where it was spelled out that I couldn't use a gift card as a future payment.  In california gift cards are treated like cash.  Airbnb is the only company that doesn't think so apparently.  This is such a deceitful practice.  If you look on their web-site and their huge add for gift cards, nowhere does it say that they can't actually be used like a normal gift card.  Nowhere does it have all their very deceitful fine print listed where someone would actually see and be able to read it prior to purchasing a gift card.  I'm sure they will be looking at a class-action suit.  The worst part of all is that they don't even reply or respond to customers that are trying to address this issue.  They basically take your money and hold it hostage, while they make a ton of interest on it!  So wrong.

So it can’t be used for the second payment but could you use the gift cars for the entire up front cost instead of a pay half now/half later deal? 

Trip costs $1000

i pay $750 in gift cards now and $250 in credit card now, boom transaction done??! Or do you have to split the payments two different dates? 

Kim825
Level 2
Agoura Hills, CA

I fall in Airbnb gift card trap too, I brought $600 airbnb gift card, I made the initial reservation using the $100 gift card on my trip, I gave my daughter $300 gift card to pay the second payment for her trip, Now, I found out my daughter and I can't use left over $500 gift card for the second payment for both trip. This sucks, I’ll NEVER buy a Airbnb gift card again. I will tell all my friendsNOT to buy Airbnb gift card.

Tim666
Level 2
El Dorado Hills, CA

It is a scam they have going. 

So we’ve started accumulating gift cards for a trip we are taking in May of this year. The host has our dates on hold but we haven’t booked anything yet. She is just holding our dates so no one else can take them. Will I be able to use gift cards to pay the whole balance at once? I don’t really want to get stuck having gift card balances left over. Right now we have around $100-150 in gift cards but need like $600-700. What do you guys think?

i dont know this for sure but i would be sure to pay the full balance up front instead of the minimum so you can use as much of the GC as possible.

If you must get gift cards, I would get Visa or Amex ones instead.

Welcome to the way airbnb rips us off and holds our money.

Your money is a hostage.

They do this intentionally.  Here's a great write-up on how/why they are doing it in the link below.  They are holding on to our money.

However, not for long.  We have enough evidence now to launch our class action lawsuit.  Brian Chesky is a billionaire, so he won't mind writing a lot of checks.  Easy come, easy go, Brian.

https://fletchertfurbottom.blogspot.com/2019/02/why-airbnb-will-never-be-considered.html