Refund a coupon

Christopher99
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Refund a coupon

Hi,

I booked a room using a coupon I had. I had to adjust my stay so I got refunded. However, I was only refunded the amount I paid with my credit card, I was not refunded the coupon amount. How can I get refunded for the coupon I used? 

Thanks,
Chris

48 Replies 48
Tracy1
Level 5
Bracebridge, Canada

I had this happen early this year. Booked a place, then found it much cheaper on another site (due to no added cleaning fee/service fees) so tried to cancel, but saw the note that the coupon would be lost. NO mention of this BEFORE booking. I have used coupons before and it has never been disclosed. So I had to keep that reservation, and the coupon ended up technically being 'worth' about $30USD instead of 100. 

@Tracy1 Airbnb should really fix how their coupons work.

Nobody likes how guests lose their coupon just because they had to re-book their trip.

I hope that if enough people complain about this that Airbnb goes through the trouble to redesign how the coupons work so that they can be moved to a different reservation.

Agreed, I just fell into this trap as well. It is completely inexcusable that they don't warn you when you book that canceling (or even just modifying!) the trip will make you lose the coupon. That is Comcast-tier customer service. They should either give you a very clear warning that coupons are non-refundable, or just refund the coupon when you cancel your trip like any normal company.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Matthew285  Just an FYI AirBnB will reinstate a coupon on a host cancel if the guest calls and complains, but they are not budging on the guest canceled issues. I had a rep tell me no way in H e double LL hockey sticks when I tried to help get it reversed for a guest. 

@Letti0 thank you for that information!

I had not heard about that.

It is too bad the guest has to complain before they get back their coupon. It would be better if it were automatic.

@Matthew285  I totally agree but why give back money if no one "bi t ched" about it AirBnB's thought and it works more times than not for them. Most people don't want to stay on hold for ever to argue their case they get frustrated and just hang up and say screw it. 

Chazz0
Level 1
Gardena, CA

Airbnb recently notified me that my reservation for a Japan listing may be cancelled because my host did not have the government required license number in Japan (this was after they confirmed my host was in compliance and after I was told to "not worry about it" because the reservation was "fine").  I was given an option to cancel the reservation for: (1) a full refund and no charge to me (Received, but they refunded my money 4 weeks later, and they did deduct $20+); (2) plus, a coupon for an Airbnb experience (received); and (3) plus a coupon for the full value of my reservation which will allow me to stay at a new place for twice the amount of my original listing (not received).  It's been 5 weeks and they will only issue a coupon for half the amount because I only paid for the half that was due upfront.  HOWEVER, Airbnb did not say they would issue a coupon for the amount that was paid.  The language expressly indicated, "Full value of your cancelled reservation".  I spoke to Airbnb on the phone and the customer reps agree with me that the partial amount is wrong once they read the email offer I received.  However, they continue to say my issue will be escalated.  BUT NO ONE WILL RESPOND TO MY INQUIRIES WHEN I FOLLOW UP.  MY DIRECT MESSAGES ARE IGNORED.  Customer service by phone cannot help because the matter has already been escalated.  "Don't worry" they say.  Now, the only available listings in Japan for my travel dates for 3 people in the location I need are ones that are at least $60 more per day at $155 per day.  Instead of an entire apartment, I will have to pay that amount for a private room.  BEWARE PEOPLE.  AIRBNB WILL NOT GIVE YOU WHAT THEY PROMISE. 

Gretchen69
Level 2
East Aurora, NY

So disappointed to learn my coupon for being a super host is not refunded even if I cancel within the 48 hour window of booking...lost $100 because they did not tell me it was not refundable till I cancelled my booking (as a guest) That should be stated on the coupon!

NOT COOL AIRBNB!

Agree - I am on hold right now as a superhost - I was switching from one cabin to another and it appears I am losing my coupon...  I never take trips, work so hard as a superhost and was really excited to have this reward of $100 to help justify taking my family somewhere... I can't believe they will not issue me a new one... all that was defined was the expiration date and literally just booked the cabin, cancelled to book the one beside it... I really hope they make this right, puts a really bad taste in my mouth as a superhost to reward then take away...

Just happened to me too. Airbnb is a complete scam! they say full refund when canceling before the 48 hour window. Nowhere during the whole payment process did we see this note about losing our referral/coupon amount. This is my first and definitely my last time using Airbnb. It's no longer about the coupon but the fact that Airbnb uses deceptive wording to assure consumers of certain perks and assurance yet turns around and goes 'well you didn't read everything in our help page before booking so it's on you' mentality is disappointing. 

Abdeljabbar1
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Hi everyone,

i just lost $79 the same way.

it’s a scam Airbnb is running; nothing shows or tells the user he/she will lose the coupon.

thanks Airbnb fir stilling my money.

Anna2524
Level 1
Kowloon, Hong Kong

I have the same problem. My coupon is not refunded after cancellation. I would like to make a request on refund of my coupon.

Sabina89
Level 2
Texas, United States

I thought this is worth sharing with you guys!!! I made airbnb reservations for myself for NYE. I used travel credits from referrals and my Superhost credit plus a payment with my CC.Due to unforeseen circumstances I had to cancel last month. Host was happy I gave ample notice and Airbnb credited back: My 2 referral credits, my credit card payment ... BUT not my $100 Superhost credit. I called and after 1 hour of back and forth final answer: "We consider that a coupon" by our terms and conditions you lost that $100! ... guess what...they just lost a Superhost of 4 years. As soon as I get home I am deactivating both of my listings and taking my business somewhere else!

Michael4596
Level 1
Cupertino, CA

I fell into this  coupon trick as well.   I had to cancelled a stay which I only put down 50% deposit.  But I don't get the credit refunded .   This isn't fair.   Would complaint beyond Airbnb if I know who I can complainted to.  May be the local TV station  omibudsman ?

Dagmar118
Level 1
Florida, US

Does anyone know if reservation has already been made, 50% has been paid including $20 credit and you choose to modify the days to be less days and have a credit does that credit still apply or do you lose it?