Refunding a guest that you canceled but forgot to cancel the rsv before he comes

Mona50
Level 1
Lebanon

Refunding a guest that you canceled but forgot to cancel the rsv before he comes

Hello! I am new to Airbnb. I received a guest once I opened the account and wasnt well knowledgable about the app. I messaged the guest appologizing that I cant host them, but didnt cancel the reservation or request refund. At the time I didnt have a payment method. So now I submitted for a payout card, but still didnt physically receive it yet. How can I refund this guest who ended up paying? The 'request a refund' is asking me for credit card info.. why isnt it taking the payout credit card yet? WOuld it later, once I receieve the card work to refund from the card account itself?

All the best,

Mona

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Once you have received a payout it no longer is under Air BNB control.  Therefore, if you wish to provide a refund to the guest, you will be charged on a credit card.   I had that happen once when a guest made changes after arriving, and since I am also a guest on this site, my credit card is on file with Air BNB. 

@Mona50 If you are starting your business with a cancellation, even though you will refund, the automated system will post a cancellation notice under your reviews.  This is not good for any host and often scares potential guests.  I believe you will have a chance to add a response about the cancellation review.  It would be a good idea for you to add a response and explain the cancellation.