Refunding a guest

Leigh3
Level 1
Highett, Australia

Refunding a guest

Two weeks ago I received an ' automatic' booking from a guest that I had to immediately cancel due to unforeseen circumstances.  It's the first time this has ever happened with me.  I immediately messaged the guest to advise him I would  be unable to accept him and he was great about it (probably because I received the message and responded immediately).  I then discovered on Airbnb system that I had to call them to cancel.  I did this and endured a curt lecture from a lady named Amanda for being so slack about updating my calendar.  I explained a sudden situation had been thrust upon me just hours prior and given the nature of the matter, the last thing I had on my mind was going online to Airbnb to adjust my calendar.  I also explained that in years of providing Airbnb services, this is the first time such a situation had arisen.  Amanda told me a host cancellation would be recorded against my name and not to let the situation re-occur.  Amanda removed 'automatic booking mode' from my account so this cannot happen again.

I checked with the guest and he confirmed that he had successfully found alternative accommodation, so he was fine about it.

Two days later I received a payment from that guest via Paypal which I immediately refunded and notified the guest that I had returned the funds to Airbnb.  I told him to follow-up with Airbnb if he did not see a refund returned to his account.

When I check my Paypal account, it definitely shows a refund paid back to Airbnb.  However on Airbnb, the system shows the guest booked, paid, arrived and subsequently departed.  I even had to leave feedback on the system, and did this explaining the matter.  The guest still shows in my transactions as having stayed.  Puzzled and scratching my head over this.

Can someone please explain where I have gone wrong, because this matter has been the most confusing situation?

I am also puzzled about why Airbnb would collect payment from someone before they had stayed.  Hotel bookings always require credit card details to secure the booking but never charge prior to guest arriving.  I don't understand why Airbnb would be charging immediately.  I have always found that Airbnb are late payers, in fact I have had guests stay and depart before actually having received the funds.  It seems unreasonable to me that Airbnb charges the guests so quickly and  then are so slow to deliver funds to hosts.

Please advise

thanks

Leigh Riley

0 Replies 0