Regarding reviews

Susan66
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Regarding reviews

I have a one-night guest here this evening and am concerned she's going to give me negative review because she has been unfriendly (and quite haughty towards me) from the moment she arrived today. I have done everything to accomodate her (gave her my own parking spot because she didn't want to park on the street like other guests, fixed the drain in her bathroom sink immediatly when she mentioned that the water was draining too slowly, offered her tea and tried to make small conversation but she showed no interest in being friendly and spoke about how she "had stayed with wonderful people' last time she was in the city but those hosts seem to have stopped hosting or are possibly on vacation.) She has left me with the distinct impression that she may write a negatve and unjustified review.  Is there any way I can protect myself from this? I currently have only good reviews on my profile. I do not plan to write a bad review about her - but I very much worry she may cause damage to my reputation in her review about me. Any suggestions on how I can mitigate this from happening. Thx Sue

1 Reply 1
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

There is nothing us old timer hosts can say to newer hosts to convince them to stop worrying about bad reviews.  But stop worrying about bad reviews.... you can't be held hostage by this process.

You have 8 excellent reviews.  What could this person say that would harm your reputation?  That you were too kind?  That you made her a cup of tea and welcomed her warmly?

If she does say anything negative, you can either post a reply clarifying any point that is incorrect, or you can just leave it, and after a few more bookings he review will be buried.  Note that a guest might leave you PRIVATE comments but if you reply to them you are now replying to private comments in the public forum.  I always cringe when I see hosts over replying to an innocent observation in a review, I feel it's always best to be brief and specific like "I wish Clarissa had let me know when I asked about this issue as it could have been easily fixed" or something like that.

I've just replied to a different question from another host and let her know that 80% of my guests don't even read the description, let alone the reviews.